1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. horseshoe

He'll want to take a swing at the biggest league in the world, like most players and managers, the money doesn't hurt but lets not pretend that's all that's motivating him if he goes there or spurs are some wee diddy club, he'll relish the challenge, same as when he took us over in a bit of a shambles, the media (and some of our own fans) wrote him off from day one, and some said similar things about our board going to hamstring him and expected the huns to win the league again.

2. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    And yet you’re talking like you expect us to slide into 2nd place in a CL group?

Alright mate. I’ll take realism and the hope of a reasonable run any day of the week over that fantasising.

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Spurs are run like a diddy club. Mad owner messing up anything he touches. I also believe any offer to Ange is financially far more modest than the figures being mentioned.

4. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I would be shocked if Enrique gets the job since you've told us Ange's wife and kids have already moved to London.

5. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I agree that we gave him his opportunity in Europe when nobody else would, and ideally he'd repay that by being here for years. But it's difficult when an opportunity to compete in a top league on massively improved wages comes along.

Ultimately, it's a business and one that goes both ways. If he'd followed up that first season by winning nothing this year while Sevco won a treble, he'd likely be out on his * without a second thought about loyalty or what he'd done for us previously. Just as this club (and most clubs) have a level of ruthlessness in achieving its goals, Ange will be determined to reach as high a level as he can, and an opportunity like Spurs may not come by again.

Having said that, * you Spurs. Just stay here Angie.

NakamuraTastic and AdamRS like this.
  6. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

There’s some of that here too. Definitely not to the same extent, but a lot turned their nose up at Ange when he was appointed. Simply due to the fact he was Australian and hadn’t managed in a “bigger” league.

7. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Working with Levy, Pochettino reached a Champions League final and then got the PSG job off the back of that. Sadly that's a pretty decent career move, I'd say.

greengrocer and King of Kings like this.
  8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Swear if the big man ends up staying that Blochairnbhoy should just pack up and go home.

9. cammy07

If after all this he ends up staying then * * what a boost it’ll end up being. Signing a new deal after winning the cup would sign off on an incredible season.

Probably shouldn’t do it to myself :(

johnboy19 likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Instead of being rewarding and supportive after the CL final, Levy made life hard for Pochettino and then fired him. Spurs are not an attractive job any more.

11. robbiek

Fav Celtic Player:
    danny mcgrain
    Does anyone think he is off. Just read he it meet Spurs after final to see what they are offering. I have a feeling that he is going to leave Celtic :55:

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Me too mate gutting int it

Darksel likes this.
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I think he owes it to himself as a professional to see what they have to offer.
    We will offer a huge packet, good transfer kitty for scottish football, and security. Spurs can offer a massive transfer kitty, a huge pay pack, and epl and European football.

If he doesn't like the set up he will get he won't go. Same as much here. If he didn't feel he would get the support he needed he would let have taken the job.

The surprised how long I stay QUOTE can be taken 2 ways. 1. Be surprised he'll be here a while. Or 2. Like he says when he first came. Things cam change in an instant and he doesn't get emotionally attached.

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He is off lads trust me

Noskeil and Darksel like this.
  15. horseshoe

Despite their ups and downs they're still a top half EPL team mate, you're really kidding yourself on here that it's not a huge opportunity for Ange to test himself at a higher level.

Another crack at europe with him here would be great, but lets be honest, assuming we win tomorrow he's completed scottish football already and could be wanting a different challenge before he gets bored, he doesn't strike me as someone who will be happy to sit still.

16. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    He's probably sick of the gold fish bowl up here too. Same tired questions from the hapless plonkers in the Scottish media every week. Same 10 man defense against almost every side he plays. 11 premiership clubs, playing the same teams over and over again.

The more I think about, depressingly, I just can't see Spurs making an offer he would refuse

17. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I think one thing that will go against us always is despite we have the carrot of CL football to go from hammering Aberdeen sevvies and Dundee utd to take on a real Madrid or a Barca is tough I've always been and still am in the he stays camp as I've mentioned but it's looking bleaker everyday I was convinced Rodgers would stay too tbf

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

craigtheceltic likes this.
  18. Lewis Kerr

Our only hope is that Levy decides against Ange at the last minute. If Levy wants him and offers him the job he's gone.

He's already got one foot out the door, his press conference yesterday made it obvious.

McGrory1888 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    At Tottenham he misses out on European football. That alone should be a reason to stay, nevermind having to put up with Levy or arrogant players.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  20. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I believe he's 100% off.

I'm gutted he's gone, but probably more gutted at the timing before cup final treble day...not that I blame Ange for that.

I get why he's going, might not get another chance, but I think it's the wrong move for him. He would have been far more suited on say La Liga or elsewhere in Europe.

NakamuraTastic and Blochairnbhoy like this.