1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

I honestly think he would get sacked from Spurs in the first season. The fans already don’t really want him due to their arrogance and ignorance quite frankly. However, if he gets a similar start as to what he did here, it will turn toxic very quickly in my opinion. I know he took over when we were a shambles, but the fact is, we still had the second best team in the country by an absolute mile and only had one team to catch, which he done very well to do.

It’s different with Spurs though. Teams above them will undoubtedly spend big in the summer, and they have got a squad that is at rock bottom and a captain who looks like wanting away, with absolutely nobody there to fill his boots in terms of goals. They are already miles behind most of the teams who finished above them, and their budget won’t eclipse any of these teams. I don’t even think it’s a case of the only way is up for them. They could quite easily go the other way and finish bottom half next season.

2. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wee Bazza Fergus-hun has another column out today(rolls eyes). Even by his low standards it's laughable. Basically he wants Ange to stay so Hans Moleman can show him who's boss. I wonder at times if the Record employ Ferguson to try to prove the Infinite monkey theorem where an ape typing away for infinity will eventually come up with the works of Shakespeare or some such writer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Creativecelt, neilly1987 and AdamRS like this.
  3. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    100% he will need to hit the ground running.

4. horseshoe

I think he would take Hatate, he still blows hot and cold a bit yeah, but out of all our players I'd say he (and McGregor who's played in europe plenty) looked least out of place against Real Madrid earlier this season, he's got another level to go up still imo. Kyogo would score in any league, his movement is top class, just might not be physical enough for down there.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    3rd and a decent run at the Europa. Quarters...possibly semis after, final if we're extremely lucky..

Champions league last 16..

They'd be huge strides for us as a club again in Europe. Going deep in to the Europa knockouts would be massive and any champions league qualification outvoted groups is always an achievement..

For far too long we've been whipping boys at home in Europe, particularly the champions league and almost always do nothing abroad..

Other clubs on a fraction of our budget and size have managed it, some repeatedly..

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The arrogance and general lack of knowledge among English football fans of anything beyond their own border is pretty spectacular.

“Farmers league”
    “My gran could play there”
    “No good players in Scotland”

Immediately followed by “I haven’t watched Scottish football in a decade” which immediately invalidates any opinion on it :giggle1:

Not just confined to Tottenham fans, but pretty much any premiership or championship team. There’s a weird (to me at least) culture of almost supporting the league brand down there, that just doesn’t exist anywhere else that I know of.

They’re all *, but they’re * playing in the richest league in the world, that can catapult an individual profile from national/regional to global. As much as their league symbolises so much of what is wrong with the modern game, I can see why someone would want to play there

John Bhoy79 likes this.
  7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    From a spurs jurno who has been bang on before

"After being knocked back by each of Arne Slot, Julian Nagelsmann, Xabi Alonso and Vincent Kompany, Tottenham are now somewhat scraping the barrel, and while Postecoglou has emerged as the leading contender, there are no guarantees that he’ll be taking the job either.

Don’t be shocked if Enrique’s name continues to be mentioned and he ends up getting this job eventually."

NakamuraTastic, honda and deano_bhoy like this.
  8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Mmmm

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Bit of a riddy if he goes to take the job and they swerve him and go for someone else..

10. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    He can manage in the epl anytime . there will be six jobs up for grabs during the course of next season 100%

11. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I don't think you can blame the guy for wanting to speak to one of the biggest teams (financially), competing in the biggest league if they are interested in him. It'd be unreasonable to expect him to just reject those conversations out of hand. As others have said, you can love your job and the people around you as much as you like, but if somebody is offering you potentially 3 or 4 times your salary, pretty much everybody here would be open to those conversations.

It's been suggested that Potter received a £60 million pay off for 6 months work at Chelsea. He was building something at Brighton, it was looking hopeful that he'd take them into Europe, yet that sort of money being on the table makes it very hard to turn down. It's generational wealth.

If he's spoken to them before the cup final that's a bit different, because it would indicate his mind at least in part is elsewhere, but there have been no credible reports to suggest that has been the case.

12. celtic20

Im not saying Spurs is the perfect opportunity for him, but I think it’ll be big enough to lure him away

13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I personally expect more than 2 years out him considering the opportunity we gave him and how much he has been backed financially.

Others will have their own opinion of course

NakamuraTastic and Sean Daleer like this.
  14. deano_bhoy

That was simply in response to Fabrizio Romano saying that Ange is leading contender but Luis Enrique is still in the picture. So he doesn't appear to have any inside knowledge.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    And that’s why you don’t bite the hand that feeds or the grass isn’t always greener sometimes it’s better the devil you know than the devil you don’t I could go with descriptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Why did Mourinho go there after Poch had fallen out with Levy and Levy sacked him not long after reaching a UCL final? Why did Conte go there after Levy had sacked Mourinho days before a cup final? It's naïve to think that every decent manager will all of a sudden start rejecting them because of Levy. It's a big job with huge rewards if you manage to get it right, which all top managers will think they'll be able to do because that's the way they think.

Don't forget, many, many people were saying that Ange didn't have a chance here because of the board, Lawell, the state of the playing squad, Kennedy and Strachan, etc. Those were seen as huge barriers to his success and none of them mattered a jot.

Also, we don't know that the reason Nagelsmann and Slot rejected them is because Levy is a crazy person. For all we know he's said he's taking a step back and allowing this Scott Munn fella to run the football operations, but they weren't happy with the transfer budget, personal terms, DoF situation, etc.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  17. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Is it true about Marseille getting Ange?

18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    So you're saying he's Greek...:fear:

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If he absolutely wanted money above everything, Ange could have gone to the Middle East. He wants to make a career, IMO. Tottenham have too many obstacles for that.

20. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Only player with a 'no touch' clause is McCarthy, because no other * are touching him with a barge pole.

NakamuraTastic likes this.