1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

This season they aren't, but in the last 10 years they've finished 4th twice, 3rd twice, and 2nd once. That's 5 out of 10 times. In probably the most competitive league in the world. They've also reached a CL final in that time, are one of the richest clubs in the world with top class facilities and have one of the best (if not the best) stadium in football.

Most of the Aussies on here emphasised Ange's ambition before he joined and thought he'd stay here for 2-3 years max before going to the EPL. Like it or not, Tottenham are a "top club" in world football by a lot of modern day metrics. The only thing that's missing is trophies, which will definitely motivate Ange if he thinks he can deliver success there.

Our only hope is that bringing European success to Celtic motivates him more. We'll know soon enough the answer to that question though.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Kerrydale is full of Huns. Some of the Mods are huns with multiple log ins. Don't you know that ?
    It's a honour for a Celtic fan to be booted off Kerrydale.
    Plenty posters on here have been banned from Kerrydale. Why single me out ?
    Funny how Kerrydale tolerates @Sean Daleer right enough.

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    What is this thing called Kerrydale...I'm loyal to Talk Celtic only...until the end of the season!

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

I can't help but think its already mostly done and he's off. It's * gutting but you can't really begrudge him probably tripling his wage if not more some of the quotes will stick in the throat a bit but I learned my lesson after Rodgers it's mostly birthday card pish. You could also state a case that if he wins a treble that could be his legacy that he has spoken about

Mr Shelby likes this.
  5. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    I'll be judging managers by their actions from now on and not by their silky, sexy words...bit late in the game but have to start sometime! If there is a next bloke and he goes blah blah great honour blah blah etc. I'll be whatever..having said that...we wait and see.

James likes this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    His comments today about watching the FA cup final then the Scottish one when he was back in Australia with his mates…no chance he did that. Feeling a bit of the Rodgers with the sound bites too, I agree. I hope he stays but I think spurs are a hard team/opportunity to turn down

James likes this.
  7. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye it's all well and good saying at the time but when someone offers you triple your wages you'd be silly not sound it out. Rodgers had us eating out the palm of his hand so does Ange to an extent and I do think he has much more about him as a person than Rodgers ever did but the soundbites haven't aged well if he is to go

Lewis Kerr and NakamuraTastic like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Be happy for Celtic tv to stop doing manager interview sick of the bull * that comes out their mouths

Totally wrecked treble celebrations for me I’d rather he just left the now let Kennedy take team win the cup and concentrate on who the new guy will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sorry @littlekennie but that's nonsense. Every time Celtic renegotiate a contract before it ends it's pretty much guaranteed to involve an increase.

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Let's wait and see though..he may go..eff that! Which reminds me..I need to stop my Celtic TV from ticking over on the sub! Ta!

11. James Gold Member Gold Member

Amongst all the doom and gloom just now in fairness to him is he is leaving he could barely be leaving us in a better state. Champions League football guaranteed and potentially a treble along with a really healthy squad just hope the board can really stick with the ambition to kick on in Europe and not resort to type. There is some real exciting managers available just now within our reach it's just at this moment in time regardless of who it is it will feel like a downgrade

12. Lewis Kerr

Rodgers, Tierney, Ange..

There's many more on that list too that have swanned off down south despite all of the sound bites.

It will always be the case until we leave Scotland, unfortunately. That's the reality Celtic fans fail to accept. The situation is slightly different with Ange, but the point remains the same. To give us 2 years after all this talk of "making Celtic a force in Europe again" doesn't really sit well with me. He should have never said it in the first place. Tbf I doubt even he expected a club like Spurs to come in for him so soon though.

The only outlier in modern day Celtic history is the King of Kings himself. Larsson's loyalty to us was truly special, but even then it was a different time. We could pay top dollar back then and were much closer to the top EPL sides than we are today. If he played for us in 2023 there's every chance he would do the same as the others I've mentioned.

From an objective standpoint I see why Ange would leave for Spurs, but it doesn't make it any less painful.

Sgt Neppers* and James like this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    "I think you'll all be surprised how long I'm here" was one that'll stick with me if he does go.

I don't overly blame him it's just gutting. He is a perfect match for this club. It just sums up modern football that nobodies like Spurs can be a better attraction. Can't be arsed with it.

I think he said that above quote thinking a job like Tottenham was outwith his reach currently.

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah being in Scotland hinders us so much cos we essentially get to this point where we feel we can potentially have a decent crack at Europe then end up back at square one I've mentioned in here before I draw real similarities to when Rodgers left albeit under different circumstances but I just hope to * the board have learned from the past

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Not a rolling contract they wouldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    My concern is if he leaves we could see a domino effect with players leaving and it suddenly becomes another rebuild. We already need multiple new faces to add to the quality we have. Take away some of that existing quality and it becomes a much bigger task.

Hatate and Kyogo the main two I'd expect to go, wouldn't be surprised if he took CCV back there either if it comes to fruition.

Can we replace these players with similar quality and have a manager come in and hit a 90% success rate with signings again? I'd be amazed really.

17. James Gold Member Gold Member

In fairness to him if he leaves after the weekend we will all be surprised at how long he was here I think we all assumed 3 years minimum :giggle1:

18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    If Ange goes and Mooy doesn't have long left, we're just gonna have to sign the Dundee United keeper to maintain that Aussie connection :fear:

Creativecelt likes this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This is true.

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think CCV'S injury is what'll keep him at us for next season. If he was fully fit, I think he'd leave even if Ange stayed.

I don't think we'll sell Kyogo unless we get a stupid offer, would much rather keep him another year, then sell for a reduced price if we have too.

Hatate is the one who I think will go, alongside Abada. Does mean we need a bit of a rebuild but I trust Nicholson.