1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiro Kompiro

This is bang on and gets Ange to a tee.

2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think the vast majority of us are in agreement that if he's offered it he will take it..

So we just wait and see now.

The Phoenix likes this.
  3. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I'm properly agitating myself, it will be a massive relief to me of he does stay and the biggest coup we could hope for. Needs a big offer wage doubled and 3 year deal at least

4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Not sure about Rodgers mate, I think he'd be as unpopular as the Last Lennon appointment. I also thought we were getting stale under him

I do agree with your sentiment on the board.. I'm sure Levvy and Lawell and Co know what's going on and if Ange is approached we are already looking.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. Bonobhoy

He hasn't/wouldn't do a Rodgers on us.

We just need to accept he will be away either in the next few weeks or a year from now.

Celtic need to be on the ball though and get ready to move on this and not stand still.

As i said yesterday the League down in England is a disaster for managers that can get sacked very quickly and have nothing like the fan base we have up here with us 2.

The grass aint greener i hope he sees this.....Seeing him with O'Neill yesterday and that Tifo of Jock i hope it hits home what he can be here.

6. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I don't think Rodgers would as unpopular as you might think.

Even though many still nurse a legitimate grievance over how he left, there is nonetheless no comparison between him and Lennon when it comes to management/coaching. Rodgers is an elite-level coach. Lennon is someone who should be nowhere near a modern football club.

The main reservation would be recruitment for me, not how he left.

If we can source another Ange-type manager I'd be all for it, but failing that it would be Rodgers for me. The other alternatives that we'd be scrambling around for are just unbearable to even think about.

martin_d and thailandceltic like this.
  7. PaddyJamieson

Just rewatched all the celebrations. * it, the big man's staying :ynwacelti

8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I was in mo way comparing Lennons and Rodgers management skills ha worlds apart. I think Rodgers had his go and I'd be reluctant to revisit him in charge. Also I think alot of fans still haven't forgiven or forgotten how he left, But compared to some names that will be touted I'd be persuaded ha

As I said if Ange to Spuds is happening the top brass will know already and hopefully we are already looking for a replacement.

Personally I think Ange and Spuds is a terrible fit and I'm still doubtful he will be offered it.

It's just wait and see now mate.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'd be more worried if Spuds got the Brighton manager leaving the Brighton job vacant. Ange and Brighton would be a great fit unfortunately

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Can't imagine the premier league (hate the American 'EPL' saying) players / ego filled babies would take too much * from Ange. Could easily see them just downing tools until he got sacked, which wouldn't be long. He's always managed 'lesser players' with much less egos than the 'big boys and we know the tough Roy Keane way doesn't work with the big boys anymore. Massive challenge alright.

11. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rodger's style would fit the Ange mould we currently have but his approach to recruitment here was pretty bad. I remember reading he had loads of players in the reserves after he bought them, tried them out and then left them fester.. Don't think he'd come back anyway so probably a moot point.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    martin_d likes this.
  12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    This!

13. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Some guy on KDS saying he was told Ange isn't interested in Spurs job. Interested in managing in the EPL at some point, but just not with Spurs.

Was supposedly told by the same "source" he wasn't interested in Leeds either when they came sniffing about.

How legitimate this is I don't know. Could be the usual load of waffle from some randomer on the internet or he could genuinely know something.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

I’ve heard the same story too mate

Source is a joiner i know

The Phoenix, seamus1967 and Wllm like this.
  15. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I think that's the biggest question mark over how Ange would do at a top 6 level club. He's clearly got a huge level of authority and respect here, having come in by himself and gotten everyone on board pretty much immediately. But top 6 in the Premier League is some of the elite players in the game, along with obviously some of the biggest egos.

Also, if someone here doesn't fit what he's trying to do, like Ntcham or Jullien, moving them on isn't a big problem as we saw last season. Whereas if someone like Spurs has invested say a £50 million transfer fee + £150K a week in wages on a player, Ange simply saying, 'Nah mate, not for me' might be a lot more difficult.

16. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    This is just conjecture on my part as I have no way of knowing how he thinks but just looking at the age of Ange's kids, does he really want to uplift and move them again? Same with his wife, I remember reading somewhere that he's happy with life in Glasgow.

I suppose it never stopped him moving before, but when has he ever stayed only 2 seasons somewhere out of choice?

17. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    That is a big worry.

Hope Spurs get Luis Enrique or someone like that instead :giggle1:

18. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    There's going to be reservations about any manager we hire and recruitment is a concern with Rodgers, you just can't get away from that no matter how good a coach he is. That said, if he were interested, and tbh I'm not sure he would be, I'd much rather him than some of the horrors we're usually linked with.

Graham Potter would be am ambitious punt should Ange leave.

19. murphy88

You are 100% right about Rodgers and Lennon. However, I wouldn’t want to go back to Rodgers. European wise it was abysmal. Passing between the back 4 and goalkeeper for the sake of it, with absolutely no clue on how to get us up the park. Ange has shown that it is possible to play at that level, albeit we need to be far more ruthless in both boxes, but in terms of our approach, it was far more promising last season than I can ever recall, in terms of going toe to toe.

Look, I’d swap that for being far more defensive and getting out the group like we did under Strachan and Lennon of course, but that requires a lot a luck that as well, something we had in they years. Last season however, I was astonished at how much we could impose ourselves and our style. Injuries to key players and as I’ve said not being ruthless in either box cost us badly. I think Ange has shown we have the ability to play against the top sides though, and not just sit with our backs to wall. Rodgers didn’t show that whatsoever.

Seen his name mentioned already, but Knutsen at Bodo I think is exactly who we would need to step in, or someone of that nature. Given his budget, it is remarkable how he had Bodo playing in Europe. Again, showing it can be done with a far lesser budget than most.

20. murphy88

Completely agree.

thailandceltic likes this.