1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I’m not being pedantic in the slightest. As I stated in a thread last night, dropping your levels even 5-10% in professional sport will have huge consequences, but I don’t think it’s cause for concern for two reasons.

1. It’s a completely natural reaction to what has been a pretty hectic season (see Barcelona’s result against relegation threatened Vallecano last night for example); and (perhaps more importantly)

2. It’s given Ange ample opportunity to test out a few players and make clear the weaknesses in our squad which I have full faith he will address prior to a ball being kicked next season.

There’s no need to wet the bed.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It isn't acceptable to me the last few games but the flip side to that is we know for a fact that we don't play like this and have these spells when it's meaningful games..

Been a bit damp squid but everyone knows we'll turn up next week. Probably smash the sheep the weekend as well..

3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But it’s not the point, is it? Because we’ve not played like this with a trophy at stake.

The point is we’re champions and in 10 days time we’ll be treble winners. The history books don’t lie.

4. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I hate it when people make assumptions. It sometimes comes back to bite you in the *.

DonnyCelt, Morcombe, Couscous and 2 others like this.
  5. themouth1888

Surprised with how little he's appeared to care this last few games. Maybe there's something going on in the background we can't see.

Bernabei vs Huns should have been hooked and how he finished the game is a mystery. He seemed to almost say let's see how bad it can get.

Tonight with Maeda, Stevie Wonder seen that red card coming and if you don't think it was obviously coming you've never watched a game of football in your life. Ange must have knew it and almost thought * it let's just see what happens. Baffling decision to keep him on the park.

If this was all just a test then he's seen a few boys show they are nowhere near our level so I expect a few changes over the summer

Danny 4692 likes this.
  6. stew37

Basing this on nothing but opinion but I reckon we'll have one more season with Ange at a maximum. I would prefer he was here long term but it will depend on what kind of backing he gets to strengthen and what kind of ceiling there is. It's more and more difficult for clubs outside of the mega rich to compete in the CL so I expect he'll have one more crack at it.

We've seen how a lot of our fans and the media react to us losing a few meaningless league games at the end of a possibly treble winning season. He'll undoubtedly have offers, maybe even this summer, so I wouldn't really blame him for not hanging around.

Some of the * spouted on here last night was ridiculous. I hate seeing us drop points as much as anyone but it can happen; other teams aren't just going to let us win, and it's more likely to happen when we play fringe players, and at the end of the season when the title has long been wrapped up.

7. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo

Considering the 2 major weaknesses in the squad are guys he signed in the past year I really don't know where ur faith is coming from.

8. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So what’s your solution; sack him? :39: Honestly, the overreaction from people to a few meaningless games is absolutely embarrassing.

It’s completely unrealistic to expect any manager to have a 100% success rate with new signings, but I believe we’ll come out of the summer window stronger than we are now. Only time will tell.

Rydo1888*, JML67, DEADEYECFC and 7 others like this.
  9. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Celtic drop points in dead rubbers and no * looks at the big picture. Ange out by Christmas agaaaaaaaaain

Rydo1888*, stew37, seanm and 2 others like this.
  10. celtic warrior

You'd think we just gone through another Lennon covid season the way people are reacting

11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  12. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Looks like he might be off to Spurs anyway so suppose that'll make them happy

13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Spurs story carrying a bit of momentum. Board have to keep him onside and promise the funds to strengthen. If they don’t and want to just go again thinking we will have enough to win the league, ( which we probably will)then I don’t see him being happy. He, like all of us want to make our mark in Europe aswell as winning the title. Not just qualifying raking it in and being happy with the bank balance.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  15. celtic warrior

I don't doubt Ange us on the list of Spurs managerial candidates.

But would he be above the likes of Potter, Rodgers, Silva, De Zerbi (although I doubt spurs can tempt him from Brighton).

I personally can see Levy being * off with having to deal with "foreign" clubs and overseas managers now that Nagelsmann and Slot appear to have broken down badly and he goes full tilt on Potter or Rodgers.

If however they tempt De Zerbi out of Brighton, then I would be concerned

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. DonnyCelt

Any transfer rumours brewing in the background pal?

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think he'll be here next season, just..

Although Spurs under Levy are notoriously hard to deal with/stingy....they would be a worry for us..

Needs serious backing from the board..

18. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Despite being on the verge of a treble, it's hard not to be disapointed with recent results and performances.
    However there's no need to go overboard. We've had a full season of high intensity football with a world cup thrown in. If the players only have one more 90 min in them, I'm happy for them to save it for the cup final.

There's been some moaning about Ange playing players who have shown their not up to it, but there aren't many options.

I've said before we need some kind of a reserve league for the players who aren't first team, but don't qualify for the Colts.
    It's unreasonable to expect players like Ralston and Bernie to do * all for most of the season and be match fit, so I've got no problem with Ange hoping they might blow the cobwebs away.

I'd rather that than risk AJ and Taylor in dead rubbers. I also think that with Haksa Bernie Koby Iwata Ralston, if you put one or two in as starters we'll be fine, but to put all five in at once is too much. But again I'd rather we did that than risk key players.

My only critism is Bain. If Bain is our reserve GK then why sign Benji.

If Benji has * up then fine, but surely having already decided that Bain won't make it, then I would have started Josh Clarke

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If the Spurs rumours are true and we do win the treble maybe that will be his parting gift.

I would be surprised if he turned them down to stay, purely on a personal level of managing in the premier league and wanting to test himself further as he is not getting any younger.

Spurs for me are a poison chalice, merry go round of managers not having a say in transfers etc with Levy and if he is not given time to get what he wants out of the players he could be put the door faster than you can say boo.

Or he stays and has another go of the champions league and really builds on something here at Celtic.

It’s extremely concerning these rumours no doubt about it.

NakamuraTastic and Taylor1 like this.
  20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Levy is even worse than Pedro
    Don't think he would get the time down there either but might be a risk he believes he needs to take. He might not get another offer like it. I'm hoping they panic and go back and offer Nagelsmann everything he wants like they did with Conte

Last edited: May 25, 2023