1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jj81

Mate when I seen bernabei starting I knew it was gonna take a big performance from him and others , Oriley for me is vastly over rated then I seen abada , far too many changes , and then when we had to alter the team due to CCV , Johnston , Taylor etc why change it more by putting Oh instead of Kyogo , Haksa deservered a slot more than Abada , just too many changes in one go.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. FairDinkumMate

Why would you rest Kyogo and Maeda against the second best team in the league? Very weird decision

3. Derrybhoy1

Because it's a dead rubber no matter how it's dressed up and it gave us a chance to see how some back up players fare in a derby?

We were diabolical but we learnt lessons we probably couldn't have if the league wasn't wrapped up. I just can't feel as angry as others, when it mattered they couldn't beat us, a pointless game basically they did, coincidence? Not for me.

Caveat; is it nice losing to them? Not a * but sure let's wipe our tears with another 3 trophies

4. EddieBhoy1986

I doubt Ange will admit to it but honestly I think it was about protecting players. Rangers seasom is finished but we have a cup final coming up and I can't think of a derby this season that we haven't had players pick up injuries that have seen them out for a couple of games at least. GT and Kyogo have both been hacked against them.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  5. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Surely power and mobility in the middle is on his list of priorities. Been found wanting in that area too often in Europe and against that mob especially.

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    For me thats the bigger issue. We've won 3 out of 4 against them previously but I don't think we played well in any of them besides maybe the 1st hour of the LCF. The other games the huns gifted us goals.

The mole is deploying the exact same tactic him and slippy did last time. Theyre plying a central midfielder on the right (cuntwell; used to be aribo) who tucks way in to give them a 4 v 3 in the middle of the park.

It's nothing new, it's nothing special but that's now 4 celtic managers who seem incapable of either recognising it or knowing how to play against it.

john2061 likes this.
  7. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    2 very good points mate. The drop off in pressing without Kyogo and Maeda no doubt had an impact.

If we do what we need to this summer there's potentially 7 players that won't start the next time we are there.

The entire back 4, at least 1 midfielder, Kyogo and either Maeda or a new Rw. Argument could even be made for a change in goals.

Big summer coming up where we really need to press home the advantage and push on for Europe.

Been here b4 tho under the rat and we know how that ended

8. celtic warrior

I think what we saw from Ange today was a man who doesn't give a * about the rivalry between the teams and doesnt get lost in it and completely drawn into the occasion.

If there is a trophy to be played for, he doesn't make those changes and I'm confident in that assessment of him.

He's was solely focused on his squad and what they can offer so used the game quite obviously as a dead rubber/glorified friendly to put out a challenge to the fringe players and in the end they failed.

I said in the match thread the manner of the defeat is an issue. But away from the poor result he needs to running through the entire squad now because for the recent run of games we've had, our passing has been * atrocious

9. TheHappyLoss

To show their insignificance?

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Spot on.

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Tried it against them at Ibrox by starting Forrest when he hadn’t been in the team for ages thinking it would be smart if we went on and won, we were crap and so was he. Then again yesterday decided to take Kyogo, Maeda, Taylor out the team when already missing Johnson and CCV. Was never going to work that team was humped before a ball was kicked. Hearts and Aberdeen would’ve put 3 past that team too. We have a couple of positions that are ok but we hardly have any strength in depth.

Artorias likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It may be a blessing in disguise.

I don't think he will be light handed with some players this summer. We already know that he is ruthless transfer wise.

It's now becoming very clear where we need to strengthen.

13. john2061

Spot on there it's their 4 in a diamond against our three with cuntwell roaming to find free space as Barry Robson picked up when he got interviewed after he played them that they changed formation during the game against them and allows cuntwell having no one picking him up .

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Mind his comments after Reo was absolutely stinking at Parkhead last season about him gaining nothing being brought off when he was toiling and he has to learn the hard way in the thick of it?

I had that going through my head watching a good few of them yesterday, it’s why I knew for a fact there was no changes going to be made at half time.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

Said the exact same thing since yesterday.

One of the very very few occasions in my life I've actually not seen the game due to working, but I've heard enough to know what happened.

Ange has utilized his squad, which he is entitled to do. Certain members of that squad have shat the bed. Thankfully, this was in a dead rubber game (despite it being against them) but it'll have shown Ange the mental fortitude of some, and he'll learn from his mistakes (which for me, he has done at every single time his team have "failed" at something).

Also gives some of these player a reality check that we can't just turn up and win games - comes at the best possible moment in the run up to a cup final that we are heavy favourites to win!

craigtheceltic, Hammy89 and Mr Shelby like this.
  16. EddieBhoy1986

That's exaclty how I'm understanding it. When you think of it what can Rangers actually learn from yesterday? That their first team can step up in front if of a home crowd, with little pressure on them against a majorty second string celtic team? Whoop de do.

Ange now knows what players can handle playing in a pressure cooker (in a low stakes game) and which ones can't. What areas we don't have sufficient back up for and what areas players still need to work on (his highlighting Oh letting his miss impact his game is telling) and he didn't give Beale a chance to see what his first team could do against our best players.

17. cammy07

Before the game I said I hoped we didn’t make many changes to the team but in hindsight it was a good call. Deep down I had a feeling that game yesterday would have went the way it did, had all the hall-markings of it.

He’ll have a far better idea this morning than he did yesterday on who he wants in his squad, and who he can trust moving forward. Makes his decision far easier when the bids start coming in for certain players.

It’s never nice losing to them don’t get me wrong, but if there’s ever a time it’s yesterday, and deep down they’ll know that too. No matter how hard they try and run with the “Glasgow is blue” patter.

The performance levels have been way off for a few weeks now so hopefully he’ll give the majority of the players the rocket up the * they need to go on and finish the job.

EddieBhoy1986 likes this.
  18. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A few chickens came home to roost yesterday, and it has revealed our squad is not as good as we thought it was, and there are a few tadgers there that need moved on in the summer, in fact I think we are now going to need seven first team ready players brought in. A GK, LB, CB, RW, CF and two CM's. The mantra is we never stop, but our opponents never stop too and will be recruiting as well.
    A massive clearout needed too in the summer, I suspect 12 going out the door.

19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Can you imagine if we dropped more than ten points after 35 games?

20. EddieBhoy1986

A slight overreaction. Yesterday wasn't just about seeing what players need chucked out the door it was about Ange seeing what he needs to work on over the summer in pre-season.

StPauli1916 and NomDePlum like this.