1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Yep. Watched highlights of MONs game during the week and was looking for a similar statement today

boylebhoy95 likes this.
  2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I don't think it is arrogance. It think it is about the bigger picture and testing the squad to see who can stand to adversity.

3. Pogues

Aye I was probably a bit harsh on kobayashi, I wouldn't be writing him off just yet, but a least we got to see him in a difficult game.

Would ange be confident bringing him on in a champions league match, doubt it, he's not ready for that yet. But that game today exposed his shortcomings on which he'll hopefully improve.

seamus1967 likes this.
  4. murphy88

No issues at all with the staring eleven. Some of the changes were enforced, some obviously had one eye on the treble. No problem with that at all. The problem lies with the level of performance. It was embarrassing. The huns changed their team as well, so blaming the defeat on Ange making changes is ridiculous. That performance was on the players.

So many passes coming up short. Hart should be palming the first goal out for a corner, Kobayashi bullied for the second, and the third goal just summed up the players performance.

If we win against Inverness, nobody will care about today, and rightly so, that’s all that really matters. However, the players on the park today should be * ashamed of the performance they served up. That’s unacceptable when you pull on the jersey, and they should be * told so as well. Dead rubber or not.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    dmccourt95, Wllm, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  5. EddieBhoy1986

Aye if I'm Ange I'd be thinking of brining in Centre Half cover with a bit more experience and proven track record. We were without both Starfelt and at times CCV during last UCL campaign and right now Kobayashi isn't ready. He might well be in a season or two and it's worth giving him time, CH mature a little later but for now I'd want an experienced head in.

Pogues likes this.
  6. Foley1888

See the fact we made no changes at half time with who we had on the bench then waited beyond the hour to do anything off the bench told you how much this game meant in the grand scheme of things.

If this had been taken seriously Bernabei would have been off at half time probably along with Abada.

Even our senior players like McGregor and Jota were a shadow of themselves. I genuinely would give Starfelt a pass and no one else for today we were so poor.

Hart, poor at the first goal that should have been easily held if he gets his body behind it.

Ralston so limited.

Kobayashi terrible at the first two goals.

Bernabei just horrific, constantly turning over the ball with nearly every pass.

Hatate much like Bernabei continually gave the ball away.

McGregor uncharacteristic mistake riddled performance which eventually led to the total * up for the third goal and also just let Cantwell ghost past him for the first.

O’Riley missed two guilt edge chances.

Abada heart of a mouse and wasteful in possession.

Jota not at it today at all.

Oh had his one chance and hit the post when he had to score.

You can’t have 10 of 11 players all of it and expect anything. We will no doubt hear how good they were when in reality they took their chances and we didn’t, they didn’t make as many defensive howlers and we had about 5 which 3 were punished.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. Dubliner1

The strength in depth stuff is pish. Today showed that we need to strengthen as the so called back-ups for every position aint good enough. Imagine CCV gets an injury next season which keeps him out for 6 - 8 weeks.

Morcombe likes this.
  8. PaddyJamieson

He's partly to blame today but it was a worthy experiment imo. Taught us a lot about the squad and some of those on the fringes.

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    That’s the way I look at it.

This was an experiment. Who can stand up to the hardest game during our season when the pressure is effectively off. Many of the guys failed.

Abada and O’Riley will be away for good money. Berna and Yuki seem to be a couple of poor signings but given the success we have had with signings, it’s understandable. Hart needs replaced also.

Oh should have done better with his chance but he had * all the rest of the day.

The experiment failed. We will address all that come the transfer window.

Morcombe and PaddyJamieson like this.
  10. PaddyJamieson

Aye that's my take from it too. Yuki won't be out the door because he only just joined but we will sure be looking at another CB. Bernie will be out the door, on loan or otherwise, and Abada and O'Riley are certs to leave imo. Then, as you say, a GK is a must.

If we can improve on all those positions - big if I know - our squad will be top drawer.

Jo-Jo-Buffon likes this.
  11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Feel quite annoyed thinking on it. He did say (at least) in his interview "I probably made too many changes" but he must have been thinking that at half time too. Think it was criminal not to make sweeping changes at half time.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The thing is we bang on about our squad depth...that was arguably a first choice midfield, Kyogo away from being a front 3 most of us would be happy with. Obviously Johnston and CCV were unavoidable absences, defence was the biggest issue. Other than Taylor in for Berna and Kyogo on for Oh the other 9 players would have started any other time with what we currently have available....

But when you look at that side and vs the Hun one I still wasn't thinking "oh *". They had Sakala as a no9 ffs. The performance level was just unacceptable.

It's not like in the past when we've rotated and you'd have some proper donkeys in there. (Bernabei and Yuki not yet at the lowest level).

The result doesn't have an impact on our league season but we need to learn from that performance. We've given them a bit of a lift when I really wanted us to keep them in their box.

Their starting XI was no better than ours today in terms of what you would class as "first choice" so I'm no getting on that bandwagon. We were wasteful and the attitude was all wrong. He got a couple of selections wrong but we had MORE than enough on that park today to beat them. I was seeing players unable to pass 5 yards...who's fault is that? Not Ange.

The important thing is its really the first time I've seen it from this side. We move.

Sgt Neppers* and PaddyJamieson like this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    While I agree with the vast majority of the post, most would've had Maeda, Kyogo, Mooy, CCV, Taylor and Johnston in their strongest XI. Mooy only being the contentious choice there.

That being said, we had more than enough on the pitch to win that but we simply didn't turn up and they did.

Bernabei isn't cut out for here and now there's huge question marks over Kobayashi and Oh. Both have plenty of time on their hands to prove themselves. Hard on Kobayashi being thrown in like that and Oh has shown he has potential but if we want to progress as a team, center back and another striker will be on our shopping list in the summer.

Staggering drop in quality depth in some areas but I'm expecting that to be addressed in the next window.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    CCV and Johnston were unavailable mate that's what I was saying. So unavoidable absences, ange had no choice.

I.think Mooy is debatable as there's been a couple times he hasn't been upto the speed of the game.

Abada is someone we want double figures for and who'* double figures in consecutive seasons so we should be able to feel comfortable with him being in the team.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    On another day we could have scored 3.
    1. Oh right after theirs(would have been sickening for them) and was a sitter imo.
    2. Abada chance where he powder puffed it.
    3. O'Riley chance.
    Bonus 4 if there wasn't a special rule that Goldson is allowed to play keeper when in his box.

seanm likes this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Aye, like I said, we had more than enough on the park to win that game if they actually turned up.

The Prof likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't disagree with his selections pre-match but having seen how bad Bernabei, O'Riley and Abada were floundering I was amazed he didn't shake it up at half time.

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Agree with this. We could have thrown Bernabei in next week and maybe he defends ok and sets up a nice goal, and everybody is thinking 'ahhh he's coming along nicely'. But players like him, Kobayashi and Oh need to be able to perform against Sevco and in Europe, because we're only ever 1 injury away from having to play them in big games. And you're only ever going to know by testing them.

Hopefully this will be a timely reminder that certain positions need strengthening.

dmccourt95, seanm and Pogues like this.
  19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    An experiment gone wrong, only worry is they had some * on the park too but still strolled it. Both teams were weakened.

Other slight worry is since Beale has came in he's negated us quite a bit, bordering on making us look pretty average in these games but we've got through with individual performances. Been way to lax against them since he's came.in.

20. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Oh lacked sharpness dues to lack of minutes on the pitch

Lack of pressing without Maeda and Kyogo

3/4 of our back 4 were gone

Hatate and Abada were not fit

Lesson learned for next season. Going into the the 1st game there next season, we should see a different team.

Taylor1 likes this.