1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Mon had a 35-40 million pound war chest with huge wages at the time as young boy 12-13 I thought he was amazing now looking back in it as an * I think he under acheived a wee bit sounds nuts because of the European final but he should have had one more treble and prevented rangers from winning a treble should have disposed of villareal and their was some head scratching decision like knocking back rivaldo but happy to sign henri camara I think ange eclipses him on the recruitment side when you see what resources we have now compared to the epl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I loved Mon as a manager too, but he had a big flaw as a manager I felt. He was far too cautious in his footballing approach and unwilling to experiment.

Things that really * me off with Mon were.

Signing a fucken brickie for a goalie Rab Douglas which cost us the UEFA Cup.

Taking Hartson off in the second half against Motherwell on Helicopter Sunday. Big fucken mistake.

Letting Big Eck get the better of him in the Derby and Cup games.

Yeah I got * with him at the end.

I don't see any of that happening again with Ange if he stays.

3. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I mean our issues in Europe, particularly this year.. was down to how horrific our finishing was.

Not the overall performances.

If the Huns can go on the run they went last season, there's no excuse for us progressing through at least one knockout round.

craigtheceltic and saltire78 like this.
  4. saltire78

Ok, imagine hypothetically that Ange stayed until summer of the 25/26 season, won the 3 leagues (5iar) and potentially this year's treble and one more, and in that season he won the Europa... I'd consider that on a par with Stein. I know it's not 9/10iar, doesn't match the treble count (I think!) or obviously the European Cup of Stein, but I'd consider that a parallel scale of miraculous run in the modern era. I also think that in that time he'd leave a legacy behind in the club infrastructure that'd be comparable. Can't see him getting enough behind him to SERIOUSLY challenge in Europe (without luck of course) without another few years of development and progress.

To be next best to Stein I'd say he'd need to get us outta CL group/run to semi or final of Europa and he'd need to do at least 4iar... He's in exalted territory as our manager, so the bar is high. Less than about 4 years and I don't see how that's enough...

This is of course just my opinion, but it'd take that kind of progress for me to seriously use his name alongside Stein or rate him above others we've had in Europe

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. mayo

Thst’s why I said since…Of course he won’t go down as better then Stein ffs :56::56::56:

leeso-ardoyne and Captain Brown like this.
  6. mayo

That’s what I said :56:

saltire78 and Taylor1 like this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    MON turned the fortunes of the club around at an extended low point for the club. Rangers had been dominating the league and other competitions year after year. He turned the tables on that against a strong Rangers.

Ange came in at a low point and when we were a shambles, but Celtic had been dominating for close to a decade, other than the previous season, and Rangers are a weak, badly run copy of their former self. That's a huge difference.

Ange has done brilliantly, and the football he has us playing is probably as entertaining as I've seen but for me he's not getting close to MON or a few others until he's been here longer and done something in Europe.

8. FrankMcCallum

All of this is true, but you can also spin it and say that we had one of the biggest wage budgets in the UK under Martin O’Neill, and he was backed significantly with transfer fees, and rightly so.

He also inherited Henrik Larsson, Paul Lambert, Johan Mjallby, Jackie McNamara, Stilian Petrov, and Lubo Moravcik.

Given the ability we had in the team we should have progressed to the last 16 of the Champions League at least once.

We also made a monumental * of the league in 2005, not just on the last day, losing to one of the worst versions of the old Rangers that you’re likely to see.

There’s a lot of romanticism attached to the Martin O’Neill era. He was responsible for a lot of my favourite times following Celtic, but it wasn’t as perfect as many like to remember, and I don’t think there’s much between him and Ange given the respective jobs they’ve done up to this point.

aliceinsound likes this.
  9. FairDinkumMate

Yeah but he virtually had to rebuild ..weren’t many left from those dominant years. And he’s done it with a low net spend

10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's all fair comment. Don't really disagree with any of it. My comment was also broader than just MON, I was more trying to put a context on my view that until Ange is here longer he can't (in my opinion) go ahead of many managers. Currently in recent memory that would probably only include equalling Rodgers if we win the last cup this year, even that could be argued with.

The original poster did say if he was here longer too, to be fair, I just think it'll take a bit more than that.

You've mentioned "up to this point", which interestingly an argument could be made Ange is ahead of Stein, if you look at it that way. I don't agree with that, but just pointing it out.

Loving Ange's football and style as a manager but if he doesn't stay longer he's more in the Win Jansen category than anything else. Will need to be here probably 2 to 3 more seasons and be a presence in Europe, which has been done recently, to get close or ahead of others, I think like you point out with MON there is a lot of romanticism going on with Ange at present too, and why the * not I guess.

Just my opinion, doesn't mean there's not all sorts of other arguments that what I'm saying can't be wrong :39:

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Took the job on under difficult circumstances no doubt, but was backed by the board over the season, and into this one, and I fully expected him to win the league that first season given how poor Rangers where, even when I didn't really know much about him. That was really the only thing I said on this thread on hearing he'd got the job.

Not saying it wasn't a great achievement none the less, or that if Ange stays longer he can't go ahead of others. He has been amazing, really amazing but there's a lot of history in the club, and a lot has been achieved by others too. So 2 great seasons is just too short for me, unless we'd won or challenged for something in Europe. Which I think would be unfair to expect, other than in the context of this sort of discussion.

Ange himself says similar so hopefully not too controversial an opinion.

FairDinkumMate likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The man has so many attributes that have been so pivotal to our success, recruitment, style of play, man management, his calm demeanour and ability to handle pressure, the way he deals with the Media.

He's a proper manager/leader, the figurehead of our club, a great representation of Celtic FC.

His name will forever be cemented in the Celtic history books, for Ange his chapter is far from over.

13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic told to make some 'magic' as update issued on Reo Hatate condition
    Ange Postecoglou has urged Celtic to create some “

The Parkhead manager watched his side stretch their lead over Rangers to 12 points after a 3-2 win over their nearest rivals on Saturday. With the title all but secured, some have questioned whether the champions can maintain their high level of consistency in the remaining league games. They also have a Scottish Cup semi-final against Rangers at the end of this month. However, Postecoglou is excited by the challenges ahead and is adamant his players will not "waste" a single game.

Celtic can target the 106-points total collected under Brendan Rodgers in 2016-17. They would need to win at least six and draw one out of their last seven games to top that. They are also within sight of breaking a goal-scoring record that has stood since 1915-16, when Celtic scored 116 league goals in 38 league matches. The current team are on 98 after their latest win over Rangers. Postecoglou has assured fans and warned opponents that his team won’t be easing off

Why should we?” he asked. “I mean, there are seven games to go so why would we want to waste any one of them? Every game is an opportunity to create some magic and create some great moments for our supporters and also the players themselves. We’re not going to waste a day of it, mate. Not until the season is finished. In terms of the league, when we get handed the trophy then we’ll celebrate. But up until that point we’re just going to keep our heads down and keep going.”

Celtic were able to shrug off the blow of having lost Reo Hatate for the clash against Rangers. The influential Japanese midfielder injured his hamstring in the 3-1 win over Hibs prior to the international break. He has now missed his side's last two matches. Postecoglou has sought to ease fears that the midfielder won’t be seen again this season, although he will definitely miss Sunday’s trip to Kilmarnock. “It’s fair to say Reo won’t make next week,” said the manager. “But he won’t be out long term. It’s just a case of making sure he’s ready to go.

14. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    This is not a dig at any of you guys and gals but when he first got the gig people said the Scottish media will eat him alive.
    Ange has them * their pants.
    The guy is a superstar. I also think that Mrs Postecoglou deserves a lot of credit for supporting Ange through the highs and lows.
    It is a shame that Ange does not make the headlines often enough in Australia. Some will disagree but he does not get enough recognition here.

MSM running with AFL player who sent dic pics 5 years ago. I rest my case

VT8 likes this.
  15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

VT8 and Wllm like this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Treble now please Ange..

All about the league last season wasn't too bothered about the Scottish Cup, its much more significant this season..

NomDePlum and PaddyJamieson like this.
  18. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Last 8 or 4 next season:ynwacelti:60:

Taylor1 likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    One of the biggest… which was not near the team we were up against in Rangers.

I maintain Advocaat’s team is far better than their 9 in a row team, guys like the de Boers, Arthur Numan, Stefan Klos. They were right at the top of the game.

20. PaddyJamieson

Agreed. That Advocaat team was ridiculous. Top Dutch internationals, Germany keeper, Italian internationals, Argentina international. The level of us and the huns back then was just unreal. MON had money but his achievements shouldn't be downplayed.

EDIT: domestic achievements that is, there's no argument we should have gone further in the Champions League.

martin_d likes this.