1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    This, you can tell that he really appreciates and respects the club for giving him his shot in Europe. When others wouldn’t, Celtic did and he won’t forget that.

Bit like getting the second hottest girl at school, the hottest girl is now interested, she never noticed you until now, but you know what you’ve already got is love and there’s no guarantees it works out if you leave.

Rogicisgod and Doogs. like this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Sentimentally I’m on board with that but I’m aware we got him in the middle of his season at his last team.

If he feels it’s right for him he’ll go. I think it’d need to be a special offer to get him to though.

Doogs. likes this.
  3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Ange is smart. He will not be tempted down south into that cesspool EPL. He has a project underway with Celtic.

Why would he want to deal with a gutter sports press, the endless interviews, the rumours and insinuations offered, dealing with prima donna millionaire footballers and their agents, and threats of relegation and being targeted for criticism by 'football experts'. Ange at present is all about the football, not making millions as an EPL manager. Many of those having worked in the EPL have made big money by being sacked and being paid out rather than through their successes overall.
    Many well known names come to mind that have been on that short-time carousel of fortune.

Celtic will never face relegation in my opinion. Ange deals with footballers who are level headed and grounded and are there for the football and improving their skills, instead of the megabucks. That will come later when they move on for bigger money after having made a name for themselves in the SPL and the CL.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He was always leaving Japan mid season though if he wanted a move to Europe

craigtheceltic and Doogs. like this.
  5. calmac23

I think we've got him another season. He'll want to try something in the CL, and he knows it'll get him a better job if he can prove his worth in Europe.

The only club that does concern me is Spurs. It's a big job, and probably the best he'd get directly from us. The money he'd get offered would probably be life-changing and he'd have a good transfer kitty with the money coming in from Kane being sold. I don't think he'll be their first, or second choice.. but a lot of reputable reporters are saying he's thought of highly and is in the top few candidates, so you never know.

I'm just enjoying him while he's here, and praying that the board are on the lookout for who could be our next Ange.

6. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye of course mate. Everybody has their limitations, even Ange I’d imagine. But there’s a sincerity about him I don’t think I’ve seen before in a manager at the club or even in a lot of people in real life.

When he goes it will be to an elite club imo.

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye the way the seasons run, he’d either be leaving half way through theirs or joining half way through ours if he had waited.

8. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Ange will be here for a good couple years. He has his project and it goin to plan. He wants us in the champions league and for us to show how we have grown with him . He is happy here in scotland missus is loving it kids are settled so all is good with them. I think he is a settled contented guy now . He knows that celtic will be the biggest club he manages and appreciates that we took him on. Aussies..... the ones i know are straight people they say what they think ,don't hold back and are very true to themselves.its their nature. He is a great big fella too lol.

9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Do you honestly believe that?

The guy is a world class manager, still relatively young, has worked his way up the footballing pyramid across the other side of the world. He’ll move when a team and offer that is right for him and his family comes up and he feels he’s done everything he can for the club. I’ll put my money on it being a bigger club than us.

greengrocer and Liam Scales like this.
  10. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa

Yes m8 I do honestly. I think he will be here for 3 or 4 years

George Theodorou likes this.
  11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    You don't have a gaff.. now Im worried hahaha

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I can see him being here a while as well. What I don’t think is that we will be the biggest club he ever manages.

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

@Notorious gaff is a cryogenic chamber to cool down the fans of the super computer that scans Celtic content 24/7 :giggle1:

14. Mr Cleansheets

I've said forever he's here to create a legend over at least three years and reckon that's still the case.

Some might think that the with the number of jobs suddenly available in the EPL it's only a matter of time before he leaves for big money but I suspect Ange would be horrified by the carnage down south and ever more grateful for the opportunity he has at Celtic.

Having said that, he's a powerfully driven man and has said he wants to test himself against the best. On one interpretation, he's already doing that in the CL, but on another interpretation he can't properly go up against the elite of Europe without an elite budget.

Ange will possibly see the EPL as akin to heaven: a place he definitely wants to go, but not yet.

George Theodorou likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s worth remembering that he’s not a young guy, or someone with an extensive top level playing career behind him. Money will absolutely be a factor, and understandably so.

He’s been a big advocate of not getting too attached to players and I think that applies to him as well. Not that I think he’ll be out the door at the first chance he gets, but opportunities to treble his wages will be difficult to turn down, when they do arise.

greengrocer and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

It’ll be more than triple when he does go. To help address this problem we need to make him the highest paid member of staff ,with certain bonuses payable linked to CL money, if that means we sign one less player costing a few million then that’s worth it.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeah treble is a very conservative estimate. Basically there’s an assumption that everyone who works for us in a managerial position is going to be massively wealthy - and it holds weight in the case of Rodgers or Gerard for Sevco - but Ange is in a position where a move to a Premiership team would present him and his family with life changing money.

He’ll also be very aware of how fickle this game is. Bad run of results in Europe next season and his stock drops as far as a big move goes.

18. Slaw

I think you’ll be surprised how long he’s here

19. VT8

Not going, some pretty good managers available at the moment. How I reckon it'll play out.

Chelsea - Nagelsmann
    Tottenham - Rodgers/Pochettino
    Leicester - Potter

20. Slaw

Nailed on