1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I used to disagree with this wholeheartedly and would say religion should only be taught at home, however the more I thought about it over time and with evidence, for me bigotry, racism and sectarianism is absolutely initially taught at home therefore school might be the only place a balanced view may be provided to young impressionable minds.

And yes, I am mainly talking about the street marching, low forehead hun variety of bigot, however it does come in many forms.

Viva Ron L Hubbard!

martin_d likes this.
  2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I mean, there’s a definitive answer as to how we are here on this planet. That was solved by Darwin.

What do you mean by the “meaning of life”? Why does life need to have meaning? That’s fantasy drivel. My life has meaning because I try and give my wife and my children the best life. I love for my family. That’s the meaning of my life.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The chance came from the bad pass, that doesn’t discredit Maeda at all. Maeda took advantage of their * up, as he should.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Haksabanovic is yet to prove he offers anything near what Jota does when starting. Hatate wasn’t near his current level last season and he had some very poor moments in Europe where his naivety at that level was exposed. It’s entirely fickle.

5. Cringer67

I agree completely. Apologies if I never conveyed that correctly. Despite what I may think, id never question anyone's right to having faith, in whatever capacity that may be. If it makes someone happy, who the * i am I (or anyone) to question it? I wasn't trying to be an *, apologies once again to anyone offended.

6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Despite what I've said regarding any religion I couldn't agree more with what's been said above.
    Life can be tough and if religion gives someone comfort or assurance I'm all for it for those who use it correctly.

Cringer67 likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Surely what Hatate did last season is immaterial? He was just in the door from the other side of the world and, despite not being entirely consistent, still had some huge moments and performances.

This season he's been on it since pre-season, where he was our best player by a mile, and he's largely been our best player (or top 3 at least) throughout the campaign. He's clearly developed his game and settled into the country and league. Whereas, I think it's fair to say that Jota hasn't progressed in quite the same way.

Both are fantastic players but this season, Hatate has been the difference maker in our team. When he's not playing, the drop off is very noticeable. If Jota is off form, we still have Maeda, Abada and Haksabanovic.

8. murphy88

Haksabanovic looks a top notch player in all honesty. He has been hampered by a few injuries and Ange has even said himself we won’t see the best of him until next season after he gets a pre-season with him. Jota has been very inconsistent this season if truth be told. He was outstanding early on in the season but has been nowhere near that level for some time. He is still chipping in with goals and assists when he is playing poorly to be fair to him. If Haksabanovic is getting the same minutes though, I don’t think their numbers would be much different.

Hatate was outstanding when he arrived. He began to look burnt out during games last season, which is no wonder given he had just played a season in Japan. We simply don’t have another central midfielder like him though. That’s why he is more important than Jota. Let’s hope he isn’t out for a great length of time, or we will find this out.

Talking about naivety in Europe, the player who cost us the most was actually McGregor. Two huge moments in the campaign, one away in Shakhtar where he tried to pinch the ball and got caught wrong side, then the one in Leipzig.

9. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hatate is a technically brilliant footballer, but I agree with @Callum McGregor about his performances in Europe, off the ball he was absolutely anonymous and opposition midfields were able to play through us too easily.

To get the most out of Hatate at that level we need to partner him with a natural ball winning type midfielder in a double-pivot midfield, in my opinion.

I like McGregor in the deeper role but I think we need someone better at winning the ball back/intercepting/anchoring the midfield, just someone who’s going to be more solid in that position.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  10. murphy88

Put it this way, if it was a choice of having Jota or Hatate out of the semi against the huns, I’d rather Jota was missing over Hatate.

11. murphy88

I think the main reason for opposition being able to play through us is because we don’t have an out and out defensive midfielder. Something a lot of us highlighted at the start of the season would be a problem in Europe, and it was.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No it's not immaterial, it's part of what he's contributed. He was given the slack he was due at the time. It isn't unfair to take everything into consideration. He hasn't been our best player the entire campaign. It was fairly unanimous that Jota was the best player in the country earlier this year and I don't think that's changed. Hatate is a great player and important to how we play, his form has been great. However Jota has contributed more this season both in terms of goals and assists. Jota is also two years younger than Hatate so naturally Hatate is slightly further into his development.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I like Haksabanovic but I don't think he's got the same level of ability as Jota. I love his impact off the bench but he was nowhere near as effective when starting. Hopefully that will change. I love him coming in from the left, cutting in and slotting the shot away. That's pretty much how all of his goals have went in.

Yeah Hatate was good when he came in but he wasn't at the level he's at now, which is a credit to him after having to settle here. There were a few moments last year where I was concerned he looked a bit of a shitebag but he's proven me wrong there, thankfully. He's in the best form just now for sure.

McGregor didn't cost us the most in Europe, he missed over half the games as he went off injured after about 35 minutes in the third match, then was out for the final three. I remember noting that we missed him and so did others.

14. murphy88

And in the three games he cost us two vital goals. He is an outstanding player McGregor and I like him in the deep role domestically as we dominate the ball and he can turn and play quickly, and uses the ball well. Defensively though, we need better for Europe. That’s nothing against him, it’s just not his natural instinct.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The original post was saying currently, Hatate is more important to our team than Jota. So aye, whatever happened last season is immaterial. Hatate has developed massively since then. Think it's fair to say that Jota hasn't. Jota was more important last season. Hatate this season.

Also, comparing their goals and assists return is a bit pointless. One is a winger and one is a midfielder. Obviously Jota should have more given he plays closer to goal and his game lives and dies by his output. Having said that, the difference is fairly minimal. Hatate has 17 G/A this season. Jota has 20.

And was it unanimous that Jota was the best in the country? I reckon most Celtic fans would say McGregor (which I disagree with).

Skelleto likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, it was someone quoting me saying Hatate was the best player at the club after I said it was Jota. Last season is not immaterial.
    It's one of the direct comparisons we have. Take Jota out the team and we lose more than taking Hatate out of the team, especially in terms of chances created.
    That was the chat earlier this season. McGregor is the best midfielder in the country, in my opinion. But Jota is the best footballer overall. It doesn't really matter bec

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Blaming McGregor for the Shakhtar goal away is harsh as * tbh. The Leipzig goal, aye fair enough the counter attack started after he lost the ball from his heavy touch, but against Shakhtar you could also look to Carter Vickers and Juranovic to do more to prevent the breakthrough. I agree though, he isn't naturally a defensive minded player. I'm hoping Iwata will come good and free him up in the centre of the park a bit.

18. murphy88

He tried to nip in ahead of his man and gets caught wrong side, we are in trouble from there. That goes back to him not being naturally defensive minded in my opinion. Agree regarding Iwata. Definitely think that’s why he has been brought here. I don’t think it was purely to bolster the squad and give us more options.

19. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    After the first couple of times I watched him, I concluded "great athlete, not a footballer", haven't seen much to change my mind

Mickmac likes this.
  20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont think its a matter of him coming good, i just dont think he is going to play whist mcgregor is fit.
    The only way i can see him playing is through injuries to mcgregor and/or our other midfielders or if Ange decides to go with two deeper lying midfielders in europe against stronger opposition and even at that i dont see him just being thrown in without more game time first.