1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cammy07

He’s in charge of the entire club from top to bottom too. Everything is on his terms, previously we’d be scrambling about on deadline day trying to replace players who’d just left, with Ange I’ve got no doubt our summer business is already well underway and he’s sounding out targets.

The turnaround from when he joined to now is mental, he’s done years of work in just over 18 months.

OziBeerMan, Crilly, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Too far..

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's like Ange has one of those footballing brains where he is miles ahead of the curve than anybody else.
    You can't buy that kind of natural instinct and lifetime experience. And that is why Beale has no chance against him.
    Beale must be thinking the only way I am going to get on here, is if Ange leaves :giggle1:

4. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    I did wonder to myself how closely Beale has been following Scottish football since he left. Like did he have any idea what he was really up against in Ange

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Dunno if he had been following it or not but his huge ego underestimated Ange. Last week has brought him down a peg or two

NakamuraTastic and martin_d like this.
  6. Mr Cleansheets

Apparently Beale rings Ange every week to let him know about all the jobs going in world football...

7. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Beale thought it would be as easy as the Covid season. Think he's had a massive shock to the system, he said in an interview if him and Gerrard stayed they would have won the league. Guys an arrogant clueless *. Pressure already getting to him big time.

8. Rogicisgod

A key point is that Ange got the board to back him. He convinced them to give him the keys.

Underrated and critical component that allowed him to build this team.

Succeeded beyond my hopes and aspirations. But what I think you can see is a guy who never had access to big sums of money so he had to survive on his ability to create a system that worked regardless of the transfer budget he had. Over time he learnt what types of players he needed for each role.

Giving him a bucket of cash has just taken his system to a whole new level. It's unreal watching this team develop.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

9. Kiro Kompiro

There was an interview early on when he didn't believe he was getting the support about transfers taking too long when he said :" Perhaps I haven't been forceful enough..." and Dom (?) moved on not long after. That's a signature Postrecoglou move...with him, or you're out. One alpha in the dressing room too, and its him.

10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Think it's not only the players that have to buy into him.

My only concern with Ange is that we are a one man team - the manager.

We need to have a list that is constantly reviewed and updated regularly in case the worse is to happen, which it will eventually.

Ange is probably up there with MON, for me. I have never not agreed with something that has come out of his mouth. If he was to get us to a European final, which involves a huge slice of luck, he'll be our best ever manager behind Stein

Kiro Kompiro and Liam Scales like this.
  11. leeso-ardoyne

Dont be so niaeve to think this! All we've done is changed how we do business. We all * up in losing the ten and the money men have just altered how things are done now.

This is in no way discrediting Anges achievements, what he's done is amazing and yes, he's probably abit more say than what Lenny did but don't think he runs everything from top to bottom. I just can't see it at a big club like Celtic. If that was the case, he'd have his own backroom staff with him. He took that job as a take it or leave it the offer he was given.

12. Foley1888

Great post, and couldn’t agree more. Ange is a perfect match for us and the experience he has. It genuinely is exciting going into transfer windows knowing that we will uncover some diamonds.

Like this summer I believe it is likely, we will lose three or four of our first team squad, so from the pool of about 20 or so players that are actively involved. However, I have complete faith that if Ange continues to get backed we can strengthen again.

His track record with us is insane. Summer 21 sells core of his squad signs core of a new one and revitalises Ralston, Taylor and Rogic. We have a new GK, CBx2, RB, RW, LW and ST.

Come January 22 we are still light at CM we sign 3 for £3.8m of which two are both now worth 8 figures. Also brought in Maeda, who is key to winning the title which guarantees CL football.

Summer 22, we have a good squad but need to keep two of our stars that were on loan, we manage to get deals done and despite spending near £40m so far are still looking at a close to break even in terms of sales vs signings. We also manage to move on several players on loan or permanently. Make some shrewd signings in Mooy (free), Haksabanovic (£1.7m) and Jenz (loan)who all contribute.

January 23 we see some of his signings move on for good profits. Bring in guaranteed £11m with likelihood of it rising to £14.3m. While bringing in physicality in Johnston, Kobayashi, Iwata and Oh for a total of £6.3m putting us into a positive cash position on signings vs sales discussed earlier.

Summer 23, we have a job to shift most of those out on loan to free up wages and likely lose another couple of his signings for good profits but have scope to bring in some cracking additions. See the league out and it’s exciting times ahead.

OziBeerMan and Rogicisgod like this.
  13. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    It's well established now that it was his own choice not to bring any backroom staff with him, as he likes working with different people and getting them on board with his way of playing football. He's done this at every club he's been at.

14. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Scumbag thought this was a new one lol

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

AussieGreek likes this.
  15. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Alistair Johnston said as a full back when you're up against a tricky opponent who's at you all game then gets subbed off and on comes one more direct it kills you mentally and physically we score so many late goals it has to be this imagine marking maeda and kyogo all game they go off and on comes haksa and oh or abada different type of opponent but has so many dangers running after the ball for an HR and a half non stop has to be brutal

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou opened up on his tenure so far at Celtic and has joked it would have been "long odds" for him to make it to 100 matches when he first took the job.

The Australian arrived at Parkhead in the summer of 2021 and has regularly poked fun since at claims that surrounded his early days at the club that he would be "sacked before Christmas".

He has since won three trophies with the Scottish champions and has a chance to win two more before the end of the current campaign.

Speaking ahead of his side's match against Hearts, he said: "At times, with the volume of games we have at this football club, it is not that long. I guess 100 games is pretty significant.

"It would have been pretty long odds when I took the job that I would reach it so I guess that is something."

He was also quizzed on his future with the Hoops and whether he sees himself at the club for another 100 matches.

This led to Postecoglou delivering a trademark response.

"Can you see me here for another 100 games, mate?' he replied. "Are you good judge of that? It is not up to me. No manager lives in isolation. We all work with people, we all have organisations we work for, so there is no manager that will sit down and say 'I will be here'.

"It is not my decision sometimes, mate. That is why I have consistently always said that I do not think about those kinds of things.

"My responsibility at the moment is to produce a football team that brings success to this football club and that the fans can be proud of.

"Beyond that anything that happens is kind of irrelevant to what is important."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    OziBeerMan and Noskeil like this.
  18. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Ange Postecoglou: Celtic boss reflects on reaching 100 games in charge

[​IMG]
    Celtic face Hearts twice in four days, starting with Wednesday's Premiership meeting in Glasgow

Ange Postecoglou cites Celtic's style transformation as the most pleasing aspect of a 100-game milestone that he says was "long odds" when he took over.

The Australian has pledged to keep "pushing the boundaries of how good we can be" after winning three out of four domestic trophies so far.

Postecoglou hits a century of games as Celtic manager when the Premiership leaders host Hearts on Wednesday.

Asked his proudest Celtic moment, he said: "The day I was appointed."

He added: "All you can ever ask for in life, and particularly somebody like myself, is an opportunity. Being given the opportunity to manage this great football club was the best day for me.

"I've just been working hard ever since to hopefully repay the faith people showed in me.

"I guess 100 games is fairly significant. It would have been pretty long odds when I took the job that I'd reach it, so I guess that's something."

Having succeeded Neil Lennon in June 2021 after Celtic's first trophyless season in a decade and the failed bid for 10 in a row, Postecoglou overcome a rocky start and has overhauled the squad to imprint his high-octane attacking football.

His record so far stands at 73 wins, 12 draws and 14 losses. With the League Cup retained thanks to victory over Rangers last month, Celtic have won 31 of 33 domestic fixtures this season and are chasing the treble.

They hold a nine-point Premiership lead with 11 games remaining and face Hearts for the second time in four days when they visit Tynecastle on Saturday in the Scottish Cup last eight.

"What we've achieved in just over 18 months has been probably the most pleasing part," said Postecoglou. "We're well down the track in terms of playing the kind of football and being the kind of team I want us to be.

"That is great because I can keep accelerating this and make us a more compelling team. That's where I get the most satisfaction.

"Not that you disregard the success or trophies, because that's they key cornerstone for any manager, but the kind of football we've played is the thing that has pleased me the most."

The Australian says changing the culture at the club was pivotal to his success and that his Celtic project has no "end point".

"It's an ever-vanishing target. If I ever think I'm close, it just gets further away," he added.

"I've always felt culture is people. Irrespective of what kind of environment and what behaviours you want people to have, it's a lot easier to do that if you have the right people.

"By that I mean people with the values you're looking for, the character and personality. Those things then become a lot easier and self-fulfilling because I'm not having to tell people what to do every minute of the day."

Meanwhile, Celtic and Scotland winger James Forrest has been ruled out for several weeks with a muscle strain.

It scuppers the 31-year-old's hopes of a Scotland recall for the Euro 2024 qualifiers against Cyprus and Spain later this month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64878816

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

20. JamesM09

Nonsense.

It's an email he sends.