1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Big C

Earned his wage today with the halftime substitution. I was absolutely delighted he acted so swiftly.
    Top man, top manager.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  2. PaddyJamieson

Frankly ridiculous stats. This is the best Celtic side I've seen in the last 20 years.

I have no doubts we'll break the goal scoring records. Would bet my house on us breaking the points record too.

3. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I was wanting half time subs as well, but wasn't happy when it was Abada that was brought on ahead of Haksa and/or Oh. Shows what I know. Ange knows best.

Slaw likes this.
  4. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Goes to show how far we've come in the last 12-18 months that the following players weren't even in the squad for yesterday's game:

Bernabei
    Welsh
    McCarthy
    Forrest

I'm assuming they're all fit.

Also, where is Benji?

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hes still injured

6. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough

We should be due a 4th interview next month.. Could watch this over and over.

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    His domination domestically might be the best of all Celtic managers.

79 Games
    67 Wins(85%)
    7 Draws (9%)
    5 Defeats (6%)

Scored 220 (2.78 per game)
    Conceded 50 (0.63 per game)

Rodgers was

127 Games
    102 Wins (80%)
    17 Draws (13%)
    8 Defeats (7%)

Scored 310 (2.44 per game)
    Conceded 72 (0.57 per game)

Rodgers won 7 trophies out of 7 and left with us top of the League, yet Postecoglu has a higher win% and lower draw and loss %'s and his average goal difference per game is +2.15 compared to Rodgers +1.87

Martin O'Neill

229 Games
    187 Wins (82%)
    21 Draws (9%)
    21 Defeats (9%)

Scored 592 (2.59 per game)
    Conceded 161 (0.70 per game)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Creativecelt likes this.
  8. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Even more impressive when you take into account 3 if those defeats came in his first few months when we were still finding our feet under him. Remarkable. As per the huns and everyone else playing it down, spinning the narrative to the rest being * as opposed to us being good.

9. Foley1888

It is insane to think from 1st of October 21 his domestic form is:

Played 70
    Won 62 (88%)
    Draw 6 (9%)
    Lost 2 (3%)

One of the loss’s was after extra time.

So the bulk of the defeats came in those first two months and we also had one draw.

martin_d likes this.
  10. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Just trying to remember what the five defeats are off the top of my head...

Loss to Rangers at Ibrox early in his first season, semi final in the Scottish that season, the St Mirren away game this season, really struggling to remember the other 2?

Edit: had a look and there was the opening day 2-1 loss at Tynecastle as well as a 2-1 loss at St Mirren last season

11. FrankMcCallum

Don’t think we lost to St Mirren last year, would’ve been the 1-0 defeat to Livingston early last year.

12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I said the exact same thing on the matchday thread m8 so that makes two of us that we know * all :56:

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We've averaged 72.5% possession in the League this season, on the whoscored website they have stats from 18 different Leagues and the closest anybody gets to that is 67.9% by Ajax. Thats * mental statistics to be that far an outlier like that 4.6% ahead of the 2nd best team out of about 300 teams.

Mental football we play under Ange, I think we are that good because we almost only ever pass the ball to the closest guy. Most teams play with a bit of range and will punt a lot of long balls or diagonals or whatever where as we are like a football robot, Starfelt to Taylor, Taylor to Maeda, Maeda to Hatate, Hatate to Taylor etc you can see every pass we are going to do before we do it. Other teams seem to use the ball to get about the park where as we use off the ball movement and simple short passing.

That and the way we restart games quick is football i've never seen before by anyone or anything even close to it. This mad Australian * from nowhere coming out with tactics as good as probably anything ever witnessed.

14. PaddyJamieson

It's like a whole new game watching football under Ange. I'd say we'll never see football like it again but I didn't see this big beautiful Aussie * born to lead Celtic coming, so I'll hold back on predictions.

15. cammy07

It’s the quick restarts that are killing teams, chasing the ball and better players for 90 minutes is a brutal task made even harder when the ball is barely out for a second before it’s back in play again not giving teams a chance to get a breather or back into any sort of a shape.

VAR and the refs constantly looking to stop the game to check things needlessly isn’t helping us but it’s not having the desired effect either as we’re still blowing teams away.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Agree, I actually want to see him doing it with another team as well though :fear: he could be the GOAT manager of all time but we'll never know.

I wonder did he play this same way at those other teams.

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I agree, I think it's a mix of those things.

The quick restarts and keeping the ball in play, mixed with us constantly being on the ball and then on top us pressing teams quickly when they have the ball at the back means they never mentally get to switch off unless someone is down for an injury or its their own set piece, every team we play timewastes at every oppertunity even the huns last week and they all do it from the kick off knowing they can't handle the pace.

Teams probably cannot be arsed crossing a ball in or hitting a shot against us at Celtic Park knowing we are going to take the goalkick or Hart is going to throw the ball out before they've even had a chance to to turn to run back. Not only have they mostly just sprinted on the counter to attack us now they need to sprint back and probably know we are going to knock the ball around them for another 5 minutes solid not giving them a breather.

It all just works really well, we seem to be really fit and fast and playing really high tempo but it's probably an illusion as the ball is doing all the work and our players are only moving short distances to recieve the ball from the guy who has possession.

A lot of teams probably tire themselve out playing long passes and long balls and play going from one team to another all the time and having to run up and down the park. Where as we seem to be standing in the same positions every game for most of it only joggin 10 yards left or right to open up space for the ball to come to you and nobody can deal with it.

McChiellini.. and cammy07 like this.
  18. anthony valletta

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom rogic
    i lived in Sydney when Ange was in charge of Brisbane Roar in Queensland so at the start i didnt pay much attention to them, however my brother lived in Brisbane at the time and he went to watch them every time they played at home. He would always call me and say "mate have you watched brisbane play? you have to watch them". i just shrugged it off thinking yeah yeah whatever. after the 10th time he asked and told me to watch them, his Roar team started to gain a fair bit of media attention on the style that they were playing. so i decided to start watching them and i can say that no team past or present and probably in the future has ever played football like that in Australia. He set a very high standard and in a way galvanised the whole league because other coaches had to raise their game to try and catch him. Once he left the league has gone to * TBH

Creativecelt, OziBeerMan, VT8 and 3 others like this.
  19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think if Bayern, PSG, Man City or anybody copied the way we play they'd be battering teams every week. It's quite simple football as well in that everyone can actually see whats going on and how it's done yet it's very difficult to stop it happening.

20. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Lost his 1st 3 away games before transfer window was shut.
    Guys like edouard and Christie were still playing. Hadn't even signed CCV, jota or Giakoumakis, Juranovic was signed 2 days before hun game.
    So really since he's got his team settled it's been 2 defeats. It's a phenomenonal record