1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

He will do what MON failed to do.

Yes yes, I know it's crazy to suggest or even levy as some sort of demand or expectation against Ange.

And maybe I am just overwhelmed by an uncontrolled love that is just rampaging inside of me, as I can't explain it, there is something about Ange and how he conducts himself that makes me believe that it 5 years time...people will start trying to shove him into the conversations about who are the worlds best managers in game.

As another poster said previously, I don't think it gets any better than Ange once he leaves. He's late to the game in Europe but I think he's an incredible talent.

I've never been this happy and confident in a manager.

2. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Jock Stein won the European Cup with 11 players born within 30 miles of Parkhead
    Ange plans to win the Europa Cup with 11 players born in asia.

Ok I exaggerated a touch with 11 players born in asia, but Ange believes he can use his knowledge of the Asian market to win the Europa Cup with the majority of the team being Asian born in the next 2 to 3 years. It is my belief that this is his plan.

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic not happy with choice of strip for St Mirren match - 'I don’t like it either but it is what it is, mate'
    It has been well documented that the SMiSA Stadium in Paisley has not been a happy hunting ground for Ange Postecoglou since the Australian arrived in Scottish football.
    Celtic’s only domestic blemish this season came against the Buddies on their own turf when they put in an uncharacteristically poor performance in the 2-0 Premiershipdefeat back in September. That reversal follows on from a 0-0 draw in the 2021/22 campaign which means that Postecoglou has not watched his team score a goal on Greenhill Road, never mind pick up a win.

“Yeah, they are a difficult team to play against,” Postecoglou said as he prepares for Sunday’s high-noon league showdown with Stephen Robinson’s men. “If you look at their position in the table you can see they are very consistent. Particularly at home, they have got some great results so yes they are always a challenging opposition. But for us nothing really changes. We just have to play our football and when we do that, when we successfully impose our style upon games we are hard to stop.”

Amid the fallout of losing last year to St Mirren, there was also a mini-stir caused by Celtic wearing their third kit, a silvery grey number. Television viewers did not like it, feeling that it clashed too much with the hosts’ black and white stripes. Postecoglou is also not a fan of the attire, but it will be the same outfit for this match, at the request of match referee David Dickinson.

“I think we are going to play in grey again,” confirmed Postecoglou. “I don’t like it either but it is what it is, mate. I think what people said on the day and what I thought on the day was it is harder to distinguish between players then it would be if there was a clearer distinction between the strips. But it is the referee’s decision and we abide by the referee’s decision.”

When asked if the shirts interfere with the players’ peripheral vision, Postecoglou laughed. “C’mon mate, c’mon,” he said. “There will be numbers on their shorts and socks and I am sure they can tell who is wearing a similar one.” It will help the contrast if St Mirren wear their black away kit, as has been suggested

Celtic will hope to be wearing grins come 2pm on Sunday. The trip to St Mirren is the start of yet another important week for the club, with a double-header against Hearts coming up, firstly in the league at home on Wednesday and then the Scottish Cup at Tynecastle on Sunday. Those two matches against Robbie Neilson’s team will go a long way to deciding their treble fate after snaring the League Cup last month.

Quizzed on whether it is a good or a bad thing playing the Jambos twice in quick succession, Postecoglou replied: “That is part of the landscape here. That is how it works and what we try to do as a group is not to lump things together but treat every game as a new challenge and an opportunity to improve. When you do that even when you are playing the same opponent again you can still tackle things in a different way. Still have a really strong mindset about it.

“We went through it with Kilmarnock with a league game backing up into the semi-final of the League Cup four days apart. So you kinda understand with the quirk of the fixtures here that is how it happens but we never lump them together. They are different opportunities.”

Ange Postecoglou is already looking ahead to the summer transfer window and insists that Celtic must continue to recruit to maintain the high standards set at the club.

The cinch Premiership champions will make the short trip to Paisley this afternoon to take on Stephen Robinson’s St Mirren and do so in fine form, having won 23 out of their previous 24 domestic matches.

Postecoglou has overhauled the squad since taking charge at Parkhead in the summer of 2021, signing 27 players in that time, and the Glasgow side strengthened again in the most recent window by bringing in Alistair Johnston, Yuki Kobayashi, Tomoki Iwata and Hyeon-gyu Oh.

With the exception of Oh, the latest arrivals’ moves were concluded early on in the window – a staple of Postecoglou’s approach to recruitment – and the Greek-Australian has no intention of changing the way he operates anytime soon, despite his team’s outstanding form of late.

“We are always trying to improve and as you say the results have been outstanding,” Postecoglou said. “As importantly, so have the performances. We are really strong and are getting stronger.

“That is always our focus. Sometimes the performances are not always there even when the results are but we have kind of married the two this year for the most part which has been great.

“We want to continue that until the end of the year and be strong. We are constantly looking at how we can be stronger for next year.

“I think if you look at every window since I have been here we have strengthened and we are already doing work to make sure we come out of the next window even stronger than when we enter it.

“That has got to be our ambition every time we enter this process.

“Getting them in early has worked well for us. It has allowed players to come in and settle and contribute straight away and we will continue to do that.”

4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't see why they can't just make a bunch of the yellow GK kits and use them for the outfield players and stick Hart in the silver or whatever. I mean, if the League/SFA has approved the kits, then they can't turn around as say no and surely the ref can't then have an objection as the 2 teams are easily identifiable. Besides, Celtic have played before in yellow as an away/3rd kit, so why not?

5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The dark strip with the green stripes would be perfect for this match. The home team should wear its home strip each time and are not obliged to change into something else. That is the job of the visiting team if there is a colour clash. The Celtic grey strip is too close to the St.Mirren strip.

The ref is a * and should not get involved, the clubs can sort it out themselves.

6. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I know you're taking the * but this actually crossed my mind. I think Ange is trying to put Asian players on the map and we are the perfect platform. He always goes on about improving the game in Asia, wouldn't surprise me if he's out to prove a point to all the haters over here slating the standard over there.

7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Stupid choice of third strip to begin with. Hard to quickly pick out your fellow players near the far touch line because the strip colour blends in with the colours of the spectators.

Third strip really needs to be different, preferably dark violet worn by Fiorentina FC. Celtic management take note. Also a colour like lemon yellow worn by Spanish club Villareal FC.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I agree. It's not on the home side to change to accomodate visiting sides. It's entirely on the away side - us in this case. But my point wasnt about St M changing, but us. If the League ok'd the use of the GK kit (which obviously they did) and the grey/silver as an official kit, then lets use it...

But in a way that makes sense, and switch them around so Hart is in the silver/grey and the outfielders play in the yellow as that is not going to stand out better against the black and white. Am sure they can print off 18 shirts or whatever for this one off game. It's just logical.

9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not taking the *!

10. ruzzle76

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubomir moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the willy maley song
    Glad I didn't post at half time . Much better second half obviously. Abada made a massive difference. Surely he must start more games now.

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

12. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Big Ange.
    He is beginning to remind me more and more of the Big Man.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Where's the jumper?

14. Martybhoy53

Love his response about VAR. A dig at the cabal of orange * at the lodge in Merchant city and to the scum who are top of the VAR league.

BigManSmalls likes this.
  15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If we get 10 wins or 9 wins and 2 draws in the remaining League games we'll set a new record for points in the League beating our own, we can also beat our best scoring record of 111 by scoring 25 goals in the last 11 games.

Two records that Ange probably deserves to set for the football we've been playing.

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

250 goals is 99 games from this man's team

Incredible!!

18. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I think he's the smartest looking manager in the league. I've noticed that he comes to all the matches suited and booted now and it's a good look. Anyone else notice he's stopped coughing?

19. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover

Even Celtictv aren't safe from his shithousery

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

Wllm, Noskeil and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    You just know that everytime says mate he's probably ripped you without you even knowing yet, that * deep, takes the brain time to think them out.

Rydo1888* likes this.