1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic20

Ah fair enough I read you wrong then :56:.

A lot of Celtic fans seem quite happy with these comments tbh so maybe I'm reading them wrong too. But I dunno man, just got dejavu of Rodgers all over again.

Kind of think he could've done more to calm the speculation.

2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    No chance he takes the Southampton job. They’re going down.

Leeds might appeal to him. Good set of players there. He could probably do quite well with them. He won’t leave mid season though. If he’s going, it will be in the summer.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think that is his nature mate to be fair but isn't very reassuring..

We could offer him a bumper contract and I don't think he'd sign it either. Could be wrong but think he'll only be here on a rolling contract..

I still don't think he'll go to Leeds now....but his comments make me think he'll be away quicker than i thought he would..

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think he would sign a new deal. Doesn’t have to be a massive deal, 3 year deal protects both of us.

5. celtic20

I'm not overly sure contracts even end speculation these days anyway tbh. Didn't Rodgers sign a 4-year deal before leaving about 18 months later? It's a bit of a statement from a manager if he signs one whilst there's speculation over his future, but other than that, if an EPL club wants our manager they'll easily pay the compensation required.

It's a * how alluring that league is for pretty much every manager in the game. Very difficult thing to say no to both in terms of professional development and financial benefit.

At times need to remember that Postecoglou didn't grow up a Celtic fan. He's connected so well with the club, but he was never engrained in its history growing up so naturally won't have the same attachment we all do. Trying to tell individuals like that to stay here and stave off leaving for the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc is probably almost impossible.

If he is to make a move at some point in the near future, just hope he leaves us in a good place and not mid-season like Rodgers.

6. FrankMcCallum

Not the most encouraging post match interview, I have to say.

Everyone knows he’s blessed to be managing us, and everyone knows his job is to prepare the team for the next game.

Telling us * we already know.

celtic20 likes this.
  7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I can see him going abroad more than I can see him going to the Premier League. He could get a decent gig in Germany or France.

celtic20 likes this.
  8. FairDinkumMate

Well the Dutch guy Slot that Leeds were chasing said exactly that

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Because they probably actually offered him the job. Why is Ange going to rule out a job he hasn't even been offered .... (yet)

10. FairDinkumMate

Not he wasnt offered the job.
    Because a lot of people are talking about it including local press and fans. Very easy to knock it on the head. He chose not to..fair enough

11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He never has though. He's had the same response everytime. Brighton, Everton etc. But I don't read too much into comments managers or players on their futures because in football things can change quickly

12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I still maintain that the EPL clubs won't be that interested in Ange.

They have such a low opinion of Scottish football that I don't see us being approached.

There were completely different contexts to Rodgers and Gerrard being approached. Rodgers was already proven quality in the EPL as he had one of the top jobs and Gerrard was former England captain. I see Gerrard is being linked with Leeds now. Think about it. A guy who was outperformed by Callum Davidson is still getting serious links with EPL jobs. That just shows how little stock is placed on his actual achievements and how much is being placed on 'the name'.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe we will be approached for Ange but if we are I'm fairly certain he'll move.

oh bhoy likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    See i have doubts he would..

No because he'd be dying to get away. Just don't think he overly cares for it if he's doing well..

They don't but they at least give us a little bit more security. For Ange's qualities....we should be more secure in the bargain for when the day comes. It should be the rat type compensation for what he's brought to us..

I'm still confident he won't * us off like that right now though. Think it maybe this summer though depending on what's about..

14. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Don't think that he's going anywhere. The guys just getting fed up with the same questions time after time People are getting a bit worked up about this and I understand why after BR but maybe we should listen to what he say's about blocking out the noise. If we let it bother us too much these things can be self fulfilling. If we allow this anxiety around "will he stay or will he go" affect our perception around everything he says he might get hacked off with us too. He says his players are lucky to play for Celtic, that he considers himself a lucky man too. We're lucky to have him right now so let's embrace it. Let's take what he says at face value. He has a job to finish here and he's still finding his feet on this side of the world. It's too early to move on in my view. He will want to achieve real credibility in Europe first.

Double Dutch likes this.
  15. oh bhoy

id guess that ange knows that hes better off here for another few years and steadily build his reputation in europe rather than try and jump on the english football manager carousel too soon

16. Kiro Kompiro

Postecoglou is a ruthlessly ambitious man. He's not the sentimental or loyal type. Make no mistake, should an offer come from the EPL or similar league. he will weigh it up. I'm pretty sure it will come down to playing Champions League football. Its the big lure for him to keep him at Celtic this season and he will want to do well in it. That is his dream. After this season, all bets are off.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  17. PaddyJamieson

We should all be ready for him leaving, whenever that will be. I genuinely believe him when he says he's not thinking about the future, not like the way Rodgers clearly was with a plan to getting back to the EPL in 3 years. However the other side of that is Ange is clearly opportunistic and if the right job comes up and the right offer is made, I don't think he'll be sentimental about staying. I think he would leave mid season if the right job came up.

I don't think that will happen now - but I'm prepared for it when it does come around. I'm taking nothing for granted and just enjoying the football while he's here. Hope he'll see us into the Champions League next year for a proper crack.

The Phoenix and BigDoggyWoofWoof like this.
  18. Kiro Kompiro

Few years? No chance. If he was 10 years younger sure. But not many managers get their first top 5 league gig at 60.

No sleight on Celtic- I think if Celtic were in the EPL, that would be his wish job and he'd stay till he was thrown out.

19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I just can't see him leaving before having another crack at the Champions League. It's no secret he wants to make an impact in Europe and he hasn't achieved that yet.

He's also not stupid. It took him 20 years before any European club would even give him the time of day, and now he's finally starting to get the recognition he deserves. One bad spell could quickly undo that, however. Crystal Palace sacked Frank de Boer after just 4 games and there's no chance another Premier League club was touching him after that. Likewise, Gerrard and Lampard will also struggle to get another job at that level anytime soon, while Nathan Jones has no chance.

So it makes perfect sense for Ange to continue here for as long as the team remains on its upward trajectory.

Larsson'snose likes this.
  20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    We're selling our own club short here. He could make a huge name for himself right here given the opportunity. Say we won the CL (I know I know) something like that would immortalize him in all the record books. Who's to say that this isn't achievable for him here? Some of the current crop of players wouldn't look out of place playing for top European clubs so what if he builds something really special that can take on all comers?