1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Well that's Nathan Jones sacked..

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

4. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    The absolute circus of musical chairs down south is going to be very tedious for us for as long as Ange is here (which will be 9 years)

5. leeso-ardoyne

I'm not to sure. Liverpool took a chance with Rodgers and was Anges last team not part of the city group. Ya just never know although I do understand what your saying.

6. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Did he do the post media?

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. highheidyin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG
    Lovely, lovely man

9. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Great interview

* love the guy

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Everything Ange Postecoglou had to say to club television in the immediate aftermath of Celtic's 5-1 Scottish Cup fifth-round win over St Mirren at Parkhead...

How do you reflect on that one?

Yeah I mean that's the key thing - that we're in the into the next round. It was a real good cup tie, they came at us and put in a * of a shift today to try to stop us. Credit to them. The lads stuck at it and I thought towards the end of the game - though obviously them going a man down didn't help them - I thought we were just getting stronger and getting a great contribution from the guys off the bench.

How's Kyogo [Furuhashi]?

Yeah, we'll see how it is. He'll get a scan tomorrow. Obviously, there's an issue there. He's a pretty quick healer so hopefully won't be anything too serious but, yeah, disappointed to lose him.

Is there a different focus on a game like this, given the fact it's a cup game?

I said to the lads there are no reviews of cup losses. You just bin them and that's it because whatever lessons you need to learn, you want to learn them all while progressing to the next round and it's just the nature of cup football. We knew they'd come at us today but Cameron and Carl were really strong and they had to be because they've got some big, physical boys up front who work hard and I thought they handled it well.

Normally you're problem-solving about 35 yards out but it seems they were engaging you about 35 yards higher... did you know that was coming?

We try to keep working on things that we don't do on a weekly basis because, especially in the last few weeks, we've been facing the same challenge. And what you don't want to do is go into another game just prepared for the same challenge and not be prepared. So the good thing at the moment is this week we had a full week without a midweek game so we kind of worked on different scenarios. We've worked really hard on playing out from the back under pressure, whether it happens or not. They came at us today but when they do come out they use energy so as long as we stay calm on the ball.

You can always find a way through...

Even if they had run out of energy, even if they got a goal or if they got a little bit of joy, that would spark them up again and then they go again. So I mean, that was a message at half-time: just stay really strong, stay disciplined in our structure and eventually they'll break if we persist and the lads stuck to it.

The recruitment has been excellent... it must be an absolute headache for you to pick the first 11?

It's an interesting one because I think if you ask any manager that's the ideal for them. The problems usually exist when you don't have options. So today we lose a pretty key player in Kyogo but we can actually cover that and the best part of that - well, not the best part but the key thing - is that the players have embraced that challenge. They understand that they'll get an opportunity at some point and it's up to them them to take it. There's no one that's missing out on the team and looks at the starting 11 and says' well, this guy has been playing poorly so why is he getting a game?' They all know they have to perform at a high level. You saw Matt O'Reilly and particularly Reo Hatate come on and they're not sulking because they're not starting they're saying 'well, here's half an hour for me to do my stuff'. We've got to maintain that from now to the end of the year.

We were delighted to see you here as John Kennedy said you were tied to a chair and locked in a room with security! How's the last few days been?

Bizarre. But anyone that's seen the size of John knows we don't need security - whatever he wants I'll pretty much do. Yeah, look, I'm focused on what we're doing here and I just thought it was a good week for us to focus on training. John's a very, very capable guy and handles the media well. I thought I'd have a break from everyone and give everyone a break from me.

Do you have a message for the fans in light of [Leeds United] speculation?

I don't think the fans need a message from me. What the fans need is me to keep making sure that our football club represents them the right way. That's my responsibility. If you've got a player in this position where he's getting a lot of attention the first thing you're going to say to him is 'just keep playing well, don't worry about anything else'. I'm old enough now to know that the game changes very quickly. I'm pretty blessed to be in the position I am. I'm working for a special football club and I'm never going to lose sight of that. My main responsibility is making sure that I prepare the team well for a game.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  11. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Content with that

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. FairDinkumMate

Doesn’t take much just to say no I’m not interested I’m staying at Celtic yet he never says it

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    When do managers ever say that

15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou says he’s never considered leaving Celtic and is treating every day at Parkhead like he’ll be there forever.

The Hoops boss was heavily linked with the vacant Leeds United ’s manager’s job after Jesse Marsch was sacked on Monday. But Postecoglou insists he hasn't given a move to Elland Road any headspace. And after leading Celtic to a thumping 5-1 Scottish Cup victory over St Mirren on Saturday night, the Aussie coach assured supporters he’s not planning on going anywhere.

He said: “I don’t think I need to say anything to the fans. What the supporters want is to be sure I’m focused on preparing the team every week to win games and to play football that’s going to excite them and make them proud. That’s my responsibility. I get all the excitement around things like this. But if I had a player in a similar boat I’d just tell him: ‘Keep playing your football and don’t worry about anything else’.

“All those things are just noise. I take my own advice on stuff like that. I’ve been around the game long enough to know how quickly it changes. If anyone thinks that for the last seven days I’ve thought about anything but preparing the team to play then obviously they haven’t got a clear idea of what I’m about.”

When asked if, in his own mind, he was at Celtic for the long-term, Postecoglou said: “I don’t know what that means. Every decision I make for this football club is for Celtic – it’s not about me, or me trying to achieve something.

“Every job I’ve done, I’ve done as if I’m going to be there forever. That’s the role of any manager. If you go away from that then you’re not doing a service to the club you represent

Every decision I make, I’m making it as if I’ll be here forever - but I won’t be. That decision might be taken out of my hands.

“If we lose today and lose next week, it’s a whole different discussion. I’m not silly enough not to understand that my role is to keep focused on what I’ve been doing.

“I’m trying to create a football team that our supporters are proud of and hopefully give them some memories that will last forever. If I do that, it’s all I need in terms of credit in my bank.”

Postecoglou may have to do without his top scorer after Kyogo Furuhashi suffered a shoulder injury against the Buddies. The Celtic boss revealed the Japanese striker will have it scanned on Monday to determine the extent of the damage.

But he’s backed Daizen Maeda and Oh - who both got on the scoresheet yesterday along with Reo Hatate (2), Matt O’Riley - to fill the gap. Postecoglou said: “Oh isn’t the only option for us. You saw Daizen play there today and he’s someone I’ve used in that position before, both here and in Japan.

He’s got a very similar kind of movement to Kyogo. We all know how hard he works. So we’ve got a couple of different options there. From our perspective it’s not about just throwing Oh in there because Kyogo’s injured.

“It’s about the balance of the team and making sure we put a team out there we think can win a game. It’s the shoulder with Kyogo, he had a similar problem last year and we will scan it on Monday to see what the issue is.

"Kyogo is a quick healer and knowing him he will try to train on Sunday. But we have to be careful with him. We will wait and see what the extent of the injury is and sort of map out a recovery plan for him."

Celtic’s strength in depth proved crucial yesterday as they booked a place in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals. Hatate, O’Riley and Oh all came off the bench to score. Postecoglou is delighted with the options he has - but says he’s NOT there to please players.

He said: “Everyone keeps saying I have to keep everyone happy. It’s not my role to keep anyone happy. Am I supposed to go around making them cups of tea or buy their wife some flowers?

“They should be happy with a smile on their face every day because they’re doing what they love and representing a fantastic football club. There’s always going to be competition for places and things change pretty quickly in football.

“Their role is to be ready to be called upon and that’s what they do. In terms of the guys on the bench today, irrespective of whether they’re starting or not, they’re contributing.

“And we’re going to need them. At the moment players are missing out but at the business end of the season when games have real consequences - we’ll need everybody.

16. celtic20

Personally think he's trying very hard not to rule himself out whilst stating his focus continues to be on Celtic.

Just hope he isn't genuinely interested if they did come calling.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Working his ticket..

Disappointing..

celtic20 likes this.
  18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

19. celtic20

Nothing he's said there would dissuade Leeds or anyone else in the EPL.

Not really overly impressed with the "I don't know what that means" comment when asked about long-term commitment. He knows what it means.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I was only half joking to be honest :giggle1: but agreed. No particularly great from him..

Basically left tye door wide open with that..