1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jaxxx Orchestrated Sonic Attacker Gold Member

Ange signing new contract announced the day before the final I reckon

2. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Now that would be sweet and would really lift the team.

carraigbhoy and Jaxxx like this.
  3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

What Celtic's week has been like amid Ange Postecoglou speculation - and why he wanted 'wee break' from press duties
    It is perhaps an indication of how serious Celtic are taking the speculation surrounding Leeds United's reported interest in Ange Postecoglou that his assistant felt able to crack a joke about it.

We’ve just tied him to his chair and we’ve got a couple of security guards guarding the door!" was the response of John Kennedy, who took media duties ahead of the Scottish Cup fifth round hosting of St Mirren on Saturday. Of course, should an approach be made it would become no laughing matter for the club and their supporters who have come to idolise their current manager for the transformation he has overseen since his appointment 18 months.

Leeds have, according to respected sources, placed the Celtic boss on their shortlist of candidates. They have also been forced to scratch three names off that same list after being thwarted in their advances for Carlos Corberan, Andoni Iraolo, and Arne Slot, ensuring the links with Postecoglou, instead of going away, are only gathering more traction. However, while it is inevitable that Postecoglou will depart Celtic one day – and most likely for the English Premier League if his current trajectory is maintained – it is hard to fathom the Australian stepping away now, even if Leeds do come calling. With a title and League Cup secured in his debut season, it would seem un-Postecoglou-like for the 57-year-old to be tempted away in the midst of attempting to win his first treble, and without having had a second stab at the Champions League group stages after giving a good account, but ultimately failing to win a match, in his first campaign.

His Celtic project feels half-finished. Indeed, for Kennedy, it is only just beginning. “It does feel like this is just the start," said the assistant coach, who insisted that nothing should be read into Postecoglou's absence from Friday's media briefing. “There are no problems. He’s in the building and he took training. To be fair, it was planned over a week ago that I would do press duties to save him from answering the same questions. He just wanted a wee break from it, so it was my duty to stand in. This was planned before any speculation. He’s been his normal self this week. He’s been good. It’s the same as with the players who arrive at the club. If they do well over a period of time they start to get linked with clubs and there’s speculation around them. Credit to the manager for the job he’s done in bringing success over the last 18 months.

He’s built a really strong squad who have produced very good performances. With that comes attention. People are taking notice and he’s getting credit. That comes with the territory. A lot of people watch Celtic from afar so there is going to be speculation, it’s all par for the course. It means the club is in a good position and things are going well. It’s all positive.

He had a lot to do when he came in the first season and we finished the year strongly. I think it probably caught a lot of people by surprise who quickly got things going again. There was a solid foundation for this year with the players he brought in and the way he’s got them playing. He’s added to it again and it’s all part of the process. We all know there’s a long way to go and a lot more to come from this squad. Every conversation we have is about what we are doing going forward. He’s very focused on what he has to do at Celtic."

While the rumour mill has swirled all week with plenty of opinions shared on the likelihood of Postecoglou staying or going, Kennedy insists the noise has not penetrated into the Celtic camp during the build-up to the St Mirren match with all focus on reaching the quarter-finals of the only competition that eluded the club's grasp last season.

“In terms of his approach it’s been a normal week and he’s very much focused," he added. "I know first hand how much he enjoys it here. He loves the club, the challenge and he’s in the middle of building something quite special. He’s happy where he is and we’ll keep a watchful eye on him to make sure he’s in our sights at all times!"

A driving factor in Celtic fans remaining aloof to the prospect of losing Postecoglou in the near future is the connection they feel to him – one they feel is reciprocated. The thought process being that he is a manager on his way to legendary status and there is no way he would jeopardise that by entertaining an EPL offer at such a critical juncture.

“Definitely. It’s part of his duties as a manager to build that rapport between the supporters and a connection the team," Kennedy added. “That’s a real strength of his. You see his real humility with the way he speaks. He’s shown his human side. He’s the manager of a huge institution but at the end of the day he’s a human being and he respects the sacrifices the fans make to come and support their team, whether it’s the cost, the time, the travelling or whatever. He has a lot of respect for that and always wants to give something back the other way. Over time he’s built a real rapport with the fans and I think they appreciate each other."

Kennedy also appreciates the chance to work with the former Australia boss. "He’s a great guy and he’s pretty much like the way most people see him. It’s just the way he is. He’s a humble guy but he’s very clear in his intent and the way he wants to work. It makes our jobs as coaches pretty easy. When he came in he had a clear idea of the way he wanted to play and train as a team, and the standards he set. Even during the testing times, when you lose games, like in Europe when you come under a bit more heat. He doesn’t waiver. That’s the one thing I’ve noticed since the start. He is very strong in his views and he sticks to his convictions and believes. He is convinced about what brings success and he won’t wobble on that."

carraigbhoy likes this.
  4. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Plenty of pantry wetting going on over on kds saying Ange odds are shortening

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  5. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Im very confident that Ange is staying! Keep the faith lads !:ange2:

6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

Is there? Last I checked they were all arguing about what Doaks weekly wage was on the Ange thread

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Nothing worse than a wet pantry. Drying your grain is a pain in the *.

8. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Said Ange had drifted till 9/1read it wrong they're absolutely arguing over doak

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Give him a new deal, 5 year one.

10. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    No chance he’d leave Celtic for Leeds. Liverpool on the other hand….

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Would be *. Klopp would be out a job by then though... :fear:

OziBeerMan likes this.
  12. leeso-ardoyne

For how long though! If a man city, Liverpool come calling at the end of the season after we've won a treble, Ange is gone! Then there'll be words to the effect of thanking our club for the chance and how amazing our fans are bla bla bla! There is no loyalty in football no more. If some team comes calling with the option of a better contract, better league and the chance to win the CL then he'll be down the road before jack wrote the note as the aul saying goes. Don't be niaeve to think he won't! With that said, would I blame him, not really. It's just the way it is in today's world. As long as he doesn't do a Rodgers and leaves us just before winning a treble or something then I wish him and his family well!

ddub11 and carraigbhoy like this.
  13. G40B

Until Ange does something in Europe there is zero chance of Manchester City or Liverpool coming in for him.

On paper, he’s done the absolute bare minimum expected of a Celtic manager - win the league.

Obviously, we know it’s more an achievement than it ordinarily would be given the * show he walked into. However, I doubt that’ll have even been flagged up to your Leeds etc, let alone the big boys.

14. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Alan Brazil of all people saying ange is about to sign a new contract. Would be massive if he does

15. PaddyJamieson

You think titles are all that the higher ups at big clubs look at when choosing a manager? Seriously? Then why didn't bigger clubs down south appoint Lennon? Or Delia?

If you're talking about flagging up, I shouldn't have to tell you that what they look at is data of how a team plays, of financials and how a club has been run behind the scenes. All of these things will 100% be flagging up to big clubs, as well as ones like Leeds. Doesn't mean Liverpool will be sacking Klopp and appointing Ange, but to suggest he isn't on the radar of EPL clubs is either naive or, what is more likely, you're just trying to get a reaction.

The big Viduka likes this.
  16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Ange isn’t in a rush to move anywhere, he knows what he can build and achieve here next few seasons. If he can take us that next step forward in Europe which I believe he can then there would be serious interest.

His dream move will definitely be Liverpool, that’s ultimately where he’ll want to get to.

17. G40B

Deila had bigger individual sales than Ange has had, whilst under Rodgers we had a larger turnover.

English clubs don’t care about Scottish titles. I’d go as far to say that, if an Aberdeen manager won the league, he’d be lucky to get a top end Championship job.

18. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aberdeen winning the title these days would be much more significant than the 80s when they were picking up trophies left right and centre. And look what became of their manager...

19. G40B

I agree, but it’s the way these clubs look at the Scottish league.

Leeds would be lucky - incredibly lucky - to have a manager like Ange, yet their fans are barely discussing him.

Hopefully their arrogance is our gain and we continue what Ange is building.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  20. TheHappyLoss

Think Ange is a very good manager, but like others have said the arrogance of the EPL clubs should hopefully keep them away until he wins the Champions League with us :62: