1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, he did miss 2 sitters but all season, many of our players are missing sitters too

Gabriel likes this.
  2. stew37

He's got to start against that Tavernier. Even the huns are conceding how * he is. Think at this point he'd be most effective out of him Jota and Haksabanovic.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Still clueless, I see.

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

5. centenary88

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    On the flip side he played a big part in the first goal , scored a belter for the second and played a major part in winning the pen for the third. Positives in his performance should outweigh any negativity , if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been 3-0 up.

He deserves to start against the huns so I wouldn't be surprised if that means Jota on the right.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Wouldn't say he's a complete forward. He's missing a few things- and some of them he won't ever have. But he's such a hard-working player that his contribution overshadows his flaws. Every big team has had unsung heroes, and he's that exact type.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Really negative spin on his performance. He was one of our better players and he was one of the main contributors to that win.
    Only one of his misses id class as really bad, which was his first header where he should have went with his foot.
    the second, in his defence there were two defenders scrambling across the goal line. A bad miss, not shocking.

His pace and positive play caused Cadden all kinds of problems. He also mixed it up well taking his man on and cutting in.
    He also won the ball back on a few occasions and helped out a lot defensively. I can see why there are those who dont think he is good enough but he deserves credit for last night.

NakamuraTastic and Big C like this.
  8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

That was the first 'proper' goal I've seen him score for us. It's good to know he's got that in him, hopefully the World Cup has helped him raise his level a bit.

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has hailed the role of Daizen Maeda in his Celtic side after the Japanese international starred against Hibs at Easter Road.

The Japanese international scored and assisted in the Premiership clash and his pace and sharpness caused Lee Johnson’s Hibernian problems all evening.

Maeda has become a fan favourite at Parkhead since arriving in Glasgow in January this year, but his impressive form has been no shock to his manager Postecoglou.

He explained: “I obviously coached Daizen in Japan so I knew what I was bringing. He is such a selfless, team player. He just does the stuff that doesn’t often get the recognition.

“The amount of work he puts in, the running, sometimes for little reward or recognition. He doesn’t complain, he’s a willing runner for his team. He scored a cracking goal tonight and set up the first one really well.

“He was a constant threat. I don’t underestimate that at all, that quality of being so selfless that you are prepared to give everything for the team every week irrespective of your own personal rewards whether they come or not.”

Postecoglou also hailed Maeda’s attitude to never give up, insisting he has made a positive impact on the Parkhead squad as a whole.

He added: “That is the kind of person he is. When he’s out there closing people down, sometimes we don’t win the ball, but it doesn’t deter him.

“It’s the same with chances, if he’s missed one it doesn’t deter him. He knows he has to be there, that’s his responsibility, to consistently be in those positions.

“I saw that in Japan when I first coached him, and I love that about him more than anything else, just that really strong mentality to continually do what’s right for the team irrespective of what has gone on beforehand.”

Rydo1888*, NakamuraTastic and Wllm like this.
  10. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Wee dider agathe

11. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    He certainly has the 'Maeda-s' touch...I'll see myself out...

12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Spot on. Ange nailed it for me - 'that quality of being so selfless that you are prepared to give everything for the team every week irrespective of your own personal rewards whether they come or not' - That's why I've liked Maeda from the start.

Skelleto, craigtheceltic and Wllm like this.
  13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

He might no be the best but he will run through brick walls for 90 minutes

14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    And then pick them all up for you, build the wall again..:and run through it again

NomDePlum and NakamuraTastic like this.
  15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly he’s a warrior

The_Bhoy and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not getting enough credit for that excellent goal v Hibs. The shot was first class but the way he set it up for himself was just as good. When a player puts as much effort into playing for Celtic as he does you can't help but to warm to him and want him to do well. Ange rates him highly, he may have his flaws but it's pretty obvious he brings a lot to the team. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start v the huns on Monday.

17. PaddyJamieson

If he adds that kind of thing to his game long-term he'll become some player. I wouldn't put it past him with his work ethic.

NakamuraTastic and Wllm like this.
  18. murphy88

Folk surely aren’t classing his low diving header as a sitter?

19. horseshoe

The first one he went with his head I think he could have stayed on his feet and still got to it, the one that hit the bar I thought fair enough he had to go high because their players had time to get back on the goal line.

20. murphy88

He could have gone with his right foot but it was a difficult chance with the pace on the ball. The header that hit the bar was a sitter. He was the best player on the park the other night I thought.