1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cho Gue-sung

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Notorious, Nov 30, 2022.

Discuss Cho Gue-sung in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Not saying I don't want him. Ive already saod i do.

Just think it's mental folk are already ignoring what Giakoumakis has contributed the last 12-14 months. Regardless of any stats if this guy signs he will do well to score as many goals with as few starts as Giakoumakis often gets.

His record for us is fantastic.

G40B, Gabriel, CookieMonster and 5 others like this.
  2. northeast67

G.G is class, give him his pay rise! Sign another boy too why not get them all hungry for games and goals..

oh bhoy likes this.
  3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Who's ignoring what GG done for us?

You can say that someone like Cho looks like an upgrade given the analysis of both players. That doesn't mean I don't love GG or want him to stay. I think we can both agree that if he is throwing his toys out of the pram, which isn't completely unrealistic, he needs to go. That's regardless of what he done. We have always managed to find decent strikers. We will continue to do so. The question is, can we upgrade on GG. The obvious answer to that is yes. Can we find that player? That's the difficulty.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  4. G40B

We haven’t always found decent strikers.

It wasn’t that long ago we had Anthony Stokes starting up front in the Champions League.

Another user absolutely nailed it when they said Giakoumakis will be cried out for once he’s gone.

Taylor1 likes this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Anthony Stokes was part of a squad that got us to the last 16 of the champions league, which is the farthest we have ever gotten since it changed to the Champions League. He wasn't even our first striker anyway, he was fighting out with Gary Hooper and Samaras for these positions, who were more than decent.

Over the last 20 years we have had Kyogo/GG, Edouard, Dembele, Hooper, Samaras, JVOH, Mcdonald, Sutton, Hartson, Larsson.

The idea we haven't always been able to find good strikers is laughable. Have there been times we struggled to get a decent striker in? Obviously. No club will have 100% success rate in any position over 20 years but we have done well when it comes to strikers.

I love GG, as I have said. However, can we get better? We absolutely can. That's not up for debate. We have lost far better players than GG and been ok. He's a big striker and can bully defenders. He's not technically great though, let's be honest here. Cho looks like he brings a physical side to his game but seems better technically.

Also, can you go back on the original Giakoumakis thread and answer my previous questions, where you said I was being abusive or are you selective in what you reply to?

Skelleto likes this.
  6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    People need to have more confidence in that we can find better strikers. Or even better players for every position. Ange has earned that respect.

No one is saying that GG is a bad player, because he is far from that. But we can 100% get more clinical strikers in. That will take us to the next level. If we had Edouard or Dembele up top (when they wanted to be here) we would most likely still be in the CL after christmas. That's how many chances we created.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Edouard doesn’t work to even 50% the rate Kyogo and GG do for the whole team.

Dembele was better, far more complete and a harder worker. We don’t create as much without these players being there themselves.

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I agree on that, but as a finisher, they are much more clinical. I am highly confident that Ange can find a more clinical striker with good work rate.

totti-88 likes this.
  9. Ruari McCandless

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Some boy called @DeanJonesSoccer has said today celtic are asking if he's available for a transfer...never heard of the boy but he's got 92K odd followers

10. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Exactly what we need. A good mix of both work rate and being clinical is hard to come by but confident we could find one. Pointless just having a good work rate love both kyogo and GG but a slightly more clinical striker would score 40+ a season in Ange's system.

Skelleto likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've seen plenty comments that suggest people are already willing to just let him go for this guy. To me, that's doing a misjustice to what he brings to us.

I've seen nothing other than red rag newspaper headlines suggesting he's throwing his toys out the pram. If it transpires he is and the club confirm it (or near enough) and he goes, then fine I'd never want a player like that to stay.

But right now I've no evidence of that. We need a third striker for sure. No denying and we definitely need to be more clinical, but both GG and Kyogo have excellent records as it stands regardless.

We always have to strive for better I agree but there's no guarantee with any player and all I'm saying is 25 goals in what, 23 or equal to starts? Is pretty impressive and will be hard to beat.

saltire78 likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Dembele was, edouard had his moments too. Copenhagen away springs to mind as a big game where he fluffed his lines a few times, despite scoring one of the harder chances. Ultimately contributed to us going out.

Hooper is the most clinical I've seen. Other than Larsson (or Robbie Keane but not counting him).

Skelleto and G40B like this.
  13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Honorable mention to Scott McDonald, whose shot technique from difficult positions was insane. Was shockingly good at heading for a guy his size, too.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Bellamy was pretty clinical was he not, and loved a solo goal too - although you might class him with Keane

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Nah I remember Bellamy missing some one on ones for us

MusselburghBhoy likes this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I was gutted when we didn't sign Bellamy permanently. I thought he was class.

Sgt Neppers* and Rydo1888* like this.
  17. Foley1888

Bellamy was very good when fit but he missed some amount of chances in that Motherwell game where we lost the league.

That first half against them before he had to go of injured, he was on another level they were terrified of his ability and pace.

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Aren't people willing to let GG go for Cho going more on the basis of the issues around his attitude. I want GG to stay and I want us to buy Cho. We need a third striker. However, Cho would be a good replacement for GG IF the rags are right and he is throwing his toys out the pram.

Obviously, none of us know what's happening in the background. There's no smoke without fire though and while it's probably been exaggerated by the SMSM, there probably is a disagreement between the club and him on a contract and that will * him off, regardless of how happy he is. I know it's little things but sharing the Happy Birthday messages from his old club VVV Venlo and loads of other people on his social media but failing to acknowledge his own employers message doesn't help that fact. Maybe there's nothing going on but there are some links to something not being quite right with him. Even Ange didn't come out and squash it completely. Said that if there was a lack of effort or attitude he would deal with it. He could have said, there's been absolutely nothing and there won't be. He said he would deal with it. Again, that doesn't paint the situation in the best light.

His record is impressive and I want him to stay. I guess it all goes down to the attitude for me. If he wants to leave, sell him and get Cho in. Get Cho in regardless. We need another striker anyways, as I said. I don't want anyone disrupting the harmony the group has right now. I think we might see what the situation is like when we play Wednesday and he bangs in a hattrick. See his reaction. It sounds pathetic but enough of these little * bits and it all begins to add up a certain way.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. scott87

I hope we get someone in. Cho’s name seems to popping up quite a lot. If it was me I’d offload GG and get Dembele in. Proven goal scorer and loves the Tic

20. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Dembele isn't coming back.

Noskeil and Blochairnbhoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.