1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G40B

:56:

We just going to ignore the two point blank saves from Hart following Taylor’s mistakes?

Genuinely can’t wait to see folk kid on this bizarre overrating of Taylor never happened, once Bernabei displaces him.

honda and Dan Breen like this.
  2. DonnyCelt

Am outstanding turn around for him. A player we've all said in the past will be a weak link in Europe, and he's been possibly the most consistent for us. Chuffed for him.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Our best player tonight.

martin_d likes this.
  4. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Taylor was great for us tonight. Looks confident and assured in the side at a higher level where others are shrinking a bit.

martin_d likes this.
  5. Lewis Kerr

On the ball he done OK today but folk are blinkered if they think he is good enough. There's a reason their tactic was to lump it up towards Taylor.

6. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Defensively put in a good graft and was one of our better players again but had a great opportunity to take a clean shot on in the 1st half and shat out of it.

7. cammy07

Was that their tactic though? Both goals came from the other side and I can’t actually remember them getting any joy down our left hand side.

8. G40B

Eh… the two point blank saves Hart was forced to make and the chance which ended with the Leipzig player slipping in the box. Also, the point where he thought the Leipzig player was offside and stopped chasing them.

I’ve genuinely never seen such a bizarre overrating of a player since Paddy McCourt, and that was mostly done as a joke - I don’t think this is.

You’ll actually see other players thrown under the bus by fans in desperate bids to protect Taylor. It is utterly bizarre.

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He retains possession well under pressure even when you think he has nowhere to go he nearly always finds a man. I can only remember him losing the ball once - a misplaced pass at the start of the 2nd half. He links up really well with the midfield with a lot of exchanges of passes as we move forward. He plays a lot of good defence splitting passes - one to Maeda last night stood out. He works harder and probably covers more ground than any other player in the team. He never hides and always tries to make himself available for a pass. He never shirks a tackle and is pretty tough for his size. He's a leader in the dressing room (so we're told). He isn't caught out of position - if he's in the final 3rd or the centre of the park that's because he's told to be there. If the opposition then break down our left he can't be in 2 places at the same time - it happens to even the best FBs and it doesn't happen to him any more than JJ on the right.
    The negatives are he lacks a bit of pace and doesn't have the skill to beat a man but he more than makes up for that with all the positives I've already listed. If he had pace and could beat a man he wouldn't be playing for us.
    You're the one who's blinkered and has an unhealthy hatred for one of our best players.

10. G40B

Sounds like Manchester City should sign him up and stick him at CM, going by your description.

And again, other players being thrown under the bus. ‘He can’t be in two places at once’. He has zero assists - he’s not some sort of attacking menace; he’s caught out of position because he’s a limited player, not because he’s marauding up the left.

Is it a joke, or are folk being genuinely serious with this?

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Those two mistakes you’re referring to is some serious straw clutching. The one where he slipped, then the one where Maeda left him isolated on the left and the winger ran on his inside to the through ball, 2 men on 1? Slips can happen to anyone and he was fighting a losing battle for the second chance on his own.

What you fail to highlight is his early clearance to stop a certain goal, good link up play with Haksabanovic to create a chance, great movement just before O’Riley’s shot. As usual he was good in possession. No one had a perfect game but Taylor was one of the better performers for us, as he often has been this season. Don’t forget Jota going out of his way to praise how good he’s been in a post match interview too.

You keep saying praise for him is bizarre, or creepy, or weird. What’s actually weird is how much you’re targeting a Celtic player who by the vast majority of accounts (including his colleagues), has been a standout performer this season. :50:

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brilliant post.

13. G40B

I’m ‘targeting him’ because I’m genuinely curious as to what the * is going on in regards to this overrating.

Again, it’s all someone else’s fault with poor wee Greg. Hopefully he gets his move to Man City or Madrid soon, as he’s just being let down by his inferior teammates here.

14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Taylor is not the problem imo. He is decent enough even at CL level. Im not saying we can't do better.

15. Foley1888

I didn’t think he was the problem last night or brilliant as some are saying. For me he had a right mixed bag of a night.

He played an excellent ball to Maeda early on taking out their right back but then had a spell where he played a number of terrible forward passes just giving the ball away. He had two glorious opportunities to score one he tried to pass where he had to take the shot on and the other he fluffed his lines hitting the bar when he really had to score.

Maeda gave him a lot of help defensively and I thought was excellent defensively against Sikaman who is a complete cheat with the amount of falling about he does for someone that size.

16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You asked for examples of how he was 'brilliant' and 'superb'. If you took off your 'weird' anti-Taylor blinkers you might see it for yourself.
    Who did I throw under a bus??

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    People need to stop engaging with the * idiot. He's a complete *. Complete hatred for a Celtic player. Utterly bizarre.

Mickmac likes this.
  18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think what you aren't getting is people are, understandably, comparing him to how our other players are performing just now. With the rest of the team playing crap he is undeniably one of our better performers of late, that is not a necessarily a glowing endorsement of Taylor, just a sad indication of how badly most are playing. What is weird is how some people focus on slating one of the better performers at a time when others are playing worse. I've said before Taylor is decent enough back up, but I'd be hoping for better as a regular starter, but right now he is not the biggest concern in the team.

G40B likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s a player who’s playing well and is receiving praise. Nobody is pretending he’s prime Maldini.

20. EddieBhoy1986

From a fan video it looks very much like it was wee Greg leading the huddle before the game. A leader right enough.

Ange wasn't kidding when he said you can't replace Cal with just one player lol