1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Everyone needs to keep this in mind. Ange does not make friends with his players. He treats his players equally. He is objective and clinical. He does not play favourites. He does not * on his players in media interviews like Mourinho. Ang is a former national team player and overlapping fullback, so he is an expert in defensive play. He loves attacking football. He has coached his team in the Maricana stadium in Rio, Brazil against top teams. He has coached his national team in the World Cup finals against Holland, Chile, Spain. He qualified Australia to get to the World Cup finals in Russia after 34 qualifying games in all types of environments and weather and settings. He has won national and regional titles in Australia. He won the national title in his second year in Japan. Give the man the respect he is due. He is a living, breathing professional and 'lives' football. He considers everything. He is obsessive about football. I would take him over Howe any day of the week. The man has integrity and hates to lose.

2. Maestro 08

I hope he does well and he has my support obviously. I'm just telling you, because you seem to be unclear about it that there won't be much time given from the supporters if he isn't winning pretty sharpish. That's just facts based on experience not negativity. Rebuild or not, I can assure you if we are losing games the demands are such that it won't be considered a reasonable excuse for very long.

3. Mr Cleansheets

George, I think it's pretty clear most on this thread are on board with giving Ange a go.

4. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Mate, I hope you are right.

5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I know you will not like me raising this, but it is an honest question. How was Gerard treated in his first year at Rangers ?

6. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This all i've been trying to say in this thread. This give him time is not going to happen here.

I back him. On paper he looks a brilliant appointment & loves to play football the way we want. We will see how that pans out on the pitch. I'm just pointing out nobody gets time at Celtic, results matter & one loss isn't good in Glasgow.

The other thing he must know what is expected of him but still took the job so knew from the off what was expected?

Maestro 08 likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Most were delighted in the direction he seemed to be taking them. Difference is we’ve just got rid of a manager who isn’t good enough who got the majority of the time here pished over what Gerrard’s done there - winning 5 trophies in a row. They are irrelevant, we have different standards.

greengrocer and martin_d like this.
  8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who was delighted with the direction he seemed to be taking them, us or the Huns?

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

What does Gerrard have to do with anything it was totally different circumstances and I still maintain that Gerrard buckles under pressure history proves that. We were that bad last year we couldn't even get in a position to apply any pressure there was also about 75% of their support wanted him gone after the loss to Hamilton at Ibrox iust before covid stopped the season.

If Ange is planning on winning 1 trophy in 3 years then we're in a bigger mess than I think

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Tbf we all were. The huns were still * poor and the huns were delighted to see progress.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The Huns.

12. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

It makes no difference how Gerrard is viewed by the Huns their expectations and ours are different they just wanted to win something anything we had won everything for four years in a row and the league for 5 before that so expectations are different they * are happy that we are not winning but the fans expect us to win every game especially against the other 10 teams (Huns excluded although we should win the majority of these) in our league, we out money everyone by millions in budgets and should be streets ahead on the park and we were under Rodgers then unfortunately we went back to Lenny and it just didn’t work not that we didn’t spend money we did we just didn’t play as a team or apply ourselves to the full capacity the management are to blame

we expect Ange to be a totally different more professional manager and if he does this and gets the players applying themselves we will be close

seanm likes this.
  13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wonder if he has been told, because of the situation he has been landed in, he will be here next season regardless of what happens this year, to give him time to identify and bring in the players to suit his system. So we are going with stop gaps like Ralston and Griff to tide us over as the rebuild is just too big for this window.

It wouldn't surprise me after what McKay was saying about taking time to go over every aspect of the club, including whether to appoint a director of football, that they have already written off this season and are focussing on next year. Obviously they are never going to come out and say that though.

Lebo and seanm like this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I wouldn’t say that at all to be honest.

15. seanm

Kennedy and strachan still here then i take it .ange get the finger out or your just another yes man for the board.jesus.HH

16. JamesM09

If they are writing off this season they will achieve * during their time here. It's a ridiculous notion not fit for the manager of this club. The circumstances aren't ideal but they are no where near the level of writing off a season.

Mickmac, NomDePlum and Peej like this.
  17. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    It’s because he doesn’t know the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You'll not get very far if you are gonna be comparing Ange, Celtic and the likes to Gerrard and the huns.

They are a complete irrelevant to us except that they are another team in the league we need to beat.

Celtic fans really need to stop looking across the river to compare ourselves to the huns. * the huns!
    Doing that is what's got us in this mess in the first place, just accepting to be better than them. When reality is, the demands at this club go far beyond just being a step above them. We operate at a different level -or at least should be and can be.

Asking how Gerrard got on in his first year without a trophy is like asking how McInnes got on at the sheep - no one cares and completely different.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I didn't mean Ange himself has written off the season, I was meaning McKay and the board may not be expecting anything from him this season due to their own balls ups leading to the lateness of his appointment and the scale of the rebuild that is still required.

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye nothing is ideal, in an ideal world last season wouldn't have happened the way it did. Lennon, ideally, would never have been the manager for a second spell.

The core of a squad is still here.

Barkas
    Ralston, Julien, Ajer, Taylor
    McGregor, Soro
    Turnbull
    Forrest, Edouard, Mikey​

Sure Edouard and Ajer are likely for the off, but then we still have Griffiths, Ajeti, Welsh, Hjelde (okay not ideal for sure on the backline), Connell, Henderson, Ntcham, Dembele etc - that being built ON to is what will carry us forward. But on paper there is a match day 18 capable of walking this league - bar 2 or 3 KEY signings at RB and CB.

Of course we all want 7 or 8 more and some depth elsewhere. But the point is, that there is a group of players there that is more than capable of winning this league when we add more to it. We aren't exactly writing off an entire squad and starting from scratch