1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Please enlighten me as to what miracle worker the fans want to guarantee them the SPL title for this coming season. There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes.

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Quite frankly any Celtic fan, at this point in time, that EXPECTS us to win the title this year is on Lenny levels of delusion. Wanting and hoping are understandable, but expecting? Let's look at the facts, we have a squad that was not good enough last year, most likely about to lose two of our best players after already losing our captain, have no right back worthy of the name and still have made no signings bar the one that was already in the pipeline from before the end of last season. Yet people expect to win the league from that position?

It's not impossible for it to happen, but it's going to take a minor miracle considering how many new players are going to have to be bedded in to a new system in a very short space of time.

3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    TBH most fans wanted Howe then they got Ange. Not saying Howe would have win the league but they knew all about him & thought he woild have put up a better fight for the league.

Most of us know nothing about Ange other than what we have read from Australians. There have bee a lot of good stuff about him but also some not so good. They have all confirmed he needs time but he isn't going to get that in Glasgow. If your a Celtic fan from Australia or Scotland you will know this. If your an Australian Ange fan & never really watched Scottish football before you won''t.

I'm not putting Ange down of saying I'm not happy with him being the manager. I like how he comes across & the style it looks like he wants to play. I'm bing realistic & if he doesn't win the league the fans will want him gone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4. Maestro 08

And yet I can guarantee you that if we don't win the league the knives will be out. That's the way it works here. Personally, with our budget I expect to win the league every season. This one will be no different, if that makes me delusional so be it.

Anyway the way the Aussies have talked Ange up on here not only are we going to win the league we will storm it and storm Europe playing beautiful attacking football.

5. Maestro 08

The miracle worker that every Aussie on here kept telling us we should employ and now we have they are starting to reign in expectations.

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't believe that is true. If there are definite signs of improvement, he runs them close and has us in the title race until near the end of the season and is competitive in the cups I think most will be willing to give him another season with the expectation he will improve things further with more signings.

It will only be if we have another season like last year where we are out of the running early in the league and cups, with no indication things will improve under him, fans will want him gone.

martin_d likes this.
  7. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can see where your coming from and why, definitely. We can be brutal up here, especially if we don’t win.

But I just believe that with all the different factors we have to overcome, overturn a 25 point difference, sign/promote at least 10 players, learn a new style of play, beat a side who went unbeaten and are clearly settled in how they play, get rid of people with stinking attitudes… and plenty of other factors, it’s just unrealistic to expect the league.

My expectations (maybe I’m lenient, I dunno) are that we as a minimum challenge for the title and it’s close, and we can clearly see the development of the squad tactically and performance wise as it’s going to take time for everyone to settle and adapt. It might not be until January that the team have settled and got used to everything.

But I do believe if, by January, we’re 10+ points behind it becomes toxic and he won’t be afforded the luxury of time that Lennon received.

martin_d likes this.
  8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I have no doubts the daggers will be out from some if he doesn't win the league. But any rational fan that looks at what he inherited will judge him on how we performed by the end of the season, and whether the signs are there he will take us that step further in the following year.

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The point I was making was that Celtic fans should not be expecting to sack a manager each year till they win the title. It does not make sense. If that is the case the club is never going to have a stable infrastructure moving forward. Imagine having 5 different coaches in 5 successive years. No progress. No fans in the stands. No revenue. It all turns toxic and you are open to ridicule. I am positive the majority of fans will be very supportive of Ange in this coming season.

Dannybhoy81 and trackebhoy like this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Celtic were not beaten by Rangers by a 25 point difference, they did it to themselves to be honest. If you draw 11 games in the season you drop 22 points that should have been yours.

12. Maestro 08

Not being funny mate but reading some of your comments pre appointment you were going on as if we were employing a miracle worker so don't be surprised if people hold you to it.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I’d say most sane Celtic fans don’t expect us to win the title this season.

Can we do it? Yes. But we have to build almost a whole new team. New manager has just came in with a different philosophy.

Meanwhile the huns have a settled team and have (mostly) been together for a few seasons now.

It would be an incredible turnaround for us to win the title.

14. Mr Cleansheets

Oh...

Well in that case Ange is *.

Kidding! I've no doubt Ange is special and will do something amazing - even if the board let him down with signings. He's done wonders with youth in the past and will get the best out of everyone currently in the first team.

If he gets a few new first team quality players (that he has himself identified) there'll be no stopping him.

15. AussieGreek

Obviously expectations have to be reigned in, it's July 1 and there's not even a Starting XI and we play the Danes in a few weeks.

Obviously expectations are reigned it, it's not the fault of Aussie users or Ange that Celtic * around for months with Howe, bringing in Ange only two weeks, and now come July and there's still not even a Starting XI.

Any reasoned minded person would understand this fact. Don't mock the abilities of Ange just yet, ANY MANAGER IN THE WORLD would be lucky to win the League under these conditions.

If you don't think this is the case, please name a few managers who you think can guarantee a Celtic League title under these current conditions

16. Maestro 08

I've not mocked him, don't put that on me. If anything I'm having a pop at the people making him out to be the greatest manager the world never knew. There's an expectation to win here. It's immediate and it's constant. If he can't handle that, regardless of when he was appointed then he won't last very long. Like it or not that's the reality. Any manager we appoint would be under the same pressure. The difference here is we have been sold a world class manager by those who claim to know of him. I.e you and your compatriots. So don't be surprised when people have high expectations on top of high expectations.

trackebhoy and NomDePlum like this.
  17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    As you know Rodgers was given time to rebuild and so was Gerard at Rangers. So what are you talking about ?

18. Mr Cleansheets

I think we're all just frustrated with the lack of info re training and lack of transfer news.

We're all spinning our wheels in sand while waiting for the miracles.

Cmoan Ange ye * that ye are!

craigtheceltic likes this.
  19. Maestro 08

Rodgers won things immediately, namely a treble in his first season. Gerard!? Who gives a f*ck! You clearly don't understand I'm afraid. People can talk about rebuilds and time but as soon as we start losing games all that goes out the window. Win or bust.

trackebhoy and NomDePlum like this.
  20. AussieGreek

Yeah, have high expectations for the manager when he has a functioning squad, not when he doesn't even have a Starting XI weeks out from a CL qualifier.

I really cannot understand how you can make any argument outside of that point, he ain't no Jesus that can turn water into wine.