1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
  2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If he's not come here with the ambition and expectation of winning the league this year he should leave.

Rangers are pish and there is no reason with Celtics resources he can't win the league if he is even half as good as some on here are saying.

Doing well in Europe is a different thing and I can understand that taking longer.

Mickmac, Artorias and trackebhoy like this.
  3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Fans need to stop coming out with this pish, this is Scotland not Australia. Ange will be judged on his football style but also must be winning stuff. He will be expected to win the league atleast this season. Sorry if you don't like this but it's the truth. Managers do not get time in Glasgow from both the fans & the media.

I've already said this but Ange is basically getting a blank canvas & if the board back him it should be easier to get everything in place. We are rooting for him but he must hit the ground running. I'm not sure the board are backing him considering it's July & we have made none of Ange's singings, normally this wouldn't be to bad but with the job at hand it's a disgrace :triplomur

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of course he has the ambition of winning the league otherwise he wouldn’t be here but to expect him to just win is ridiculous, it’s not an easy task.

You underrate rangers as well. They aren’t a great side, I agree, but they are extremely settled and just went unbeaten in the league which isn’t an easy task.

You’re expecting us, with a mixture of 10+ signings/youth promotions and a new style of play and football philosophy to win the league? Honestly think you underrate how big a task this is.

I want us to win the league, but I don’t expect us to win it this season.

5. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    First off, I’m very aware it’s Scotland and not Australia, think that’s quite a * reason. This is difficult no matter the league.

Not 100% sure, but just in case, I’m from Glasgow, I’m not an Aussie.

He’ll want to win the league obviously, just like me, you and every other fan will want. However, it’s such a huge task I honestly don’t expect it and think it’s ridiculous to expect it.

I’ve just said above, but rangers are a settled side who just went unbeaten, yeah they aren’t a great side but that will be hard to overturn with us signing 10+ players/youth promotions who need to settle, adapt to the new philosophy and try to win the league.

It’s unrealistic. Granted, EPL is much more competitive, Klopp and Guardiola needed at least a season to get success.

The only way Ange shouldn’t get a 2nd season is if we are not as a minimum competitive and challenging for the title and we don’t see any improvements throughout the season.

I expect to be challenging for everything from his 2nd season and winning the title as a minimum.

trackebhoy likes this.
  6. SuperZidane

Rangers are average IMO not pish and they * all over us last season so what does that tell you about us.

I don't see what constantly whinging about Ange will achieve - he's our manager now so we should get behind him.

I'm certain his goal is to win the league obviously but given the time constraints and squad he's inherited - he's up against it. Pep didn't win the league in his first season with City, Klopp with Liverpool or Ferguson with Man Utd.

If we are woeful come March/April then Ange will deserve to be on his way.

I guess that if we lose the league by 3 or 4 points but we have improved massively and really look good for the following season - you'll still want him sacked?

Lebo and The big Viduka like this.
  7. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’m confident there will be massive improvements over last season. The question i’m asking myself is what is Ange’s plan, is he here for the long haul or is he hoping 2 years here will get him a move down south?

8. SuperZidane

I think it would take at least 3 years - Rodgers won 2 back to back trebles including the invincible season before EPL clubs started sniffing around.

Ange will be 56 next month - I think his focus will be on seizing this opportunity and showing he can be successful at a major European club.

Frankly, if he does well enough with us in 3 years to have EPL clubs interested in him, I won't be disappointed.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Let's be honest here, we only have to be better than 10 out of 11 teams in the league to mount a title challenge. The games against the zombies are where we were miles off it though, and could well decide it if we see improvement from the get go.

Obviously we could still drop points elsewhere as well trying to play a new system and with a transitional squad but I'm confident if the players play for the manager then we see a vastly better team than last season, which puts us in contention.

It's unrealistic to expect us to be champions, but not unrealistic to expect us to at least challenge the Huns this time around.

OziBeerMan and NomDePlum like this.
  10. AussieGreek

I think the fact that no one is agreeing with your ridiculousness speaks volumes, no matter what little cheap snide remarks you wanna throw at me.

“Ange should win the title even though it’s July and because of the board there’s not even an XI, let alone a squad.”

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Well, at least he can speak English and be understood by the players, staff and management. This was not the case at Yokohama. He could not speak Japanese, Brazilian or Thai, and he still produced the goods. Communication is all important.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Also remember the JLeague is an 18 club competition in Japan. The SPL is a 12 team competition, with not the same amount of travel to be done compared with the four island nation of Japan.

13. Jungle-Bhoy_1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rafael Scheidt
    Is this how far our club has been ran into the ground some of the comments on here

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Also keep in mind that Guardiola came to Man City and inherited a squad that had been formed previously by excellent managers in Mancini and Pelligrini and had a sound foundation on which to further build and improve the squad and had the finances available to do it. He is a great coach but he also needed time to settle.

15. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fair enough, they´re no great shakes. But we trailed them by 25 points by the end of last season.
    And yes, Celtic have resources, but will they actually be invested in a way that improves the squad? Is the infrastucture there to make sure we acquire the level of player the club needs in this moment in time?

Postecoglu (or any manager for that matter) can only work with what he´s got. Huge transfer window coming up, and no room for errors.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  16. celtic warrior

If ange comes in and implements a basic standard of training, pre and post match analysis and gives players a set role for them to follow.

We could easily see a more well drilled, higher performing team. There is no way, even under ange, * it, even Ronnie we'd be as bad as we were last season.

Half the battle is implementation of higher standards that Lennon nuked in his time here.

Then all the other variables can be debated, like huns are going unbeaten again, fans back at some point.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think celtic can win the league back, I'd love Ange to do it and really * get it right up Scotland and England that this * came in and blitzed Gerrard within a single season.

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So you are saying most Celtic fans don't expect us to win the league this year?

I don't think that's the case.

18. Sgt Neppers*

Signings please. 1 should have been in the door the last week. We're verging from amateurish to clueless here.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If he doesn't win the league he's gone. I don't think Australians realise what its like here. Nature of the league. We're not a new team, we're a team with a £50m wage budget, more than any of our competitors, so quite rightly should be winning.

seanm, NomDePlum and trackebhoy like this.
  20. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Good your from Glasgow, so you aleast understand how it is here. I'm only being realistic. Its hard enough for a manager to get time at Celtic never mind after that * storm from last season. IMO if we challenge in the league & are unlucky, he should get another season but you know how it works here. if we don't win the league the fans will want him gone that's the truth.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

seanm likes this.