1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Anything is genius compared to what Neil Lennon offered.

2. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Next session to include hopscotch and british bulldog
    Good work by the big fella

3. AussieGreek

Ange Postecoglou and the brutal Celtic rule that shouldn't apply as Chris Sutton calls for one year's grace

"Look, from the outside, in my opinion, he needs a year. He needs a year of grace to come in and implement his own style and plans - and bring in his own players.

"What he's been dealt at this moment in time, frankly, most managers would turn their back on. I think it's impossible.

"If Celtic get beaten by Midtjylland, I wouldn't blame the manager at all.

"I'd blame the club's hierarchy for dawdling and being strung along, however you want to word it, by Eddie Howe

"He needs time to develop, nurture and implement his own plans. There's a lot been said about how he's managed in Australia and Japan and his supposed lack of credentials - this is a guy who's managed in a World Cup.

"He's managed his national team, he's won titles. He needs to be given a bit more respect than that.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2021
    Rydo1888*, Mr Shelby and Noskeil like this.
  4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It honestly depends on how it goes this year.

If we have a solid run in Europe, winning a cup and with clear improvements to the team, I think he'd get away with losing the league. Problem is there's a real chance the huns could have 2 years worth of CL money, so at the same time losing the title this year will hurt a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2021
  5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Managers earn respect by gettin results and by being able to implement a successful style of play, he will be afforded time as long as there are signs of progression.

Rydo1888*, Peej, Twisty and 4 others like this.
  6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Tbh that's almost being lenient, think we could appoint the mop lady and there'd be signs of progression over Lennon.

7. AussieGreek

Liam Shaw’s gives some insights into Ange’s training sessions.

"It's all about the reaction as well, the gaffer's come in and said it's alright to make mistakes, it's about the reaction.

"So, if you give the ball away don't throw your hands up in the air, he just wants a quick reaction to get the ball back.

"(Training) has been really good, he's come in and the intensity of the sessions has improved because that's what he wants to get across to the players, to play our way and play good attacking football with a lot of attacking and just focus on ourselves.

"The counter-press as well, we're really focusing on that.

"I'm just really enjoying it, the training has been fast and hard. It's been really tough but it benefits you in the long run.

[​IMG]

"For the first couple of sessions you're a bit rusty but when you start getting the patterns and stuff everything just falls into place.

"He (Postecoglou) has had a few chats with the lads all together, he seems really good.

"It seems he's got his philosophy and wants to put that on to us."

8. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Who's the boy at around 33 seconds, in front of Biton

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hjelde.

10. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Cheers mate. Boy seems a decent build for a centre half.

11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Hate to keep repeating myself but He will need a year simply because the board have left our squad in an absolute shambles..

Most of us were hoping Anges rebuild would happen over the summer but that's not going to happen by the looks of it.

As Sutton(*) said and many on here have said if there is progress on the pitch he needs to given time and some leeway.. will he get that? Not so sure

Jordann and Noskeil like this.
  12. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Never mind saves; if he can lift his hands past shoulder height, it’s progress.

13. Mr Cleansheets

Seems to be a lot of youngsters in the sessions but they do look to be trying hard and enjoying themselves.

14. SuperZidane

Absolutely - Lennon, Lawwell and the board have handed Ange little time and a very average squad (where 2 of the best players want to leave). If you look at his track record - Brisbane Roar, Melbourne Victory, Yokohama Marinos - he has taken a year to get the squad in shape and playing to his philosophy.

I'm not a pessimist but a realist - winning anything this year would be a real bonus for me. Progression is the key - I want to see us improving over the season and by Easter, I need to be optimistic that we will be competing for everything in 22/23.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Still waiting on those Lennon emojis being binned mods :thumbsdow

Announce Ange yins PicsArt_07-01-12.35.31.png

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's a bit of a * take to say they have handed him little time and the squad is poor when the only 2 reasons he got the job are the last manager was * and that other preferred candidates for the position bombed out.

Not a reflection on Ange just a reality check. He must have understood this when he got the job. Let's not make up false excuses for him before a ball has been kicked.

If he had any qualms about either of those points and not the confidence to address them quickly he shouldn't have taken the job.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    As others have said he needs time.

However the very real possibility of the Huns getting 2 years or back to back CL money is worrying and honestly staggering to think we are in this situation.

Thats noones fault other than the Celtic board.

Rydo1888* and Twisty like this.
  18. AussieGreek

yeah, because there’s so many managers out there available now who would be capable of doing this job under these conditions.

SuperZidane likes this.
  19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No manager should be expected to easily turn it around, it takes time to build a squad capable of winning. You don’t just sign 10+ players and become the best in the league.

Look at Man City and Liverpool, Klopp and Guardiola took at least a season to build there squad and implement their philosophy and style before success came. Even at Celtic they would struggle to turn it around this year.

I’m not saying it’s impossible we win the league but it’s extremely difficult and to expect anything other than being competitive and seeing constant improvement this season is ridiculous and unrealistic.

Lebo, Lewis Kerr, OziBeerMan and 2 others like this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm pushing back on the excuses being dreamt up for Ange which are actually the reasons he got the job.

Did you actually read my response or are you too much of an AngeFan to even think of doing that?

If so maybe you should consider starting a forum called TalkAnge? This is a Celtic forum.

Fear Dearg likes this.