1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

I sincerely doubt Ange will bring in many (any) Australians this soon, with the possible exception of Ryan (with whom I understand negotiations are on foot). And any he does bring in will already be playing in the UK or Europe. I seriously think Mooy would fabulous at Celtic but is on stupid money in China. He'd be a natural to replace Broonie and Ange knows him well. Cheaper, similar-ish options could be Luongo or Armini, or Riley McGree at Birmingham, but I doubt we'll see any of those.

Looking to the future, I've rarely been so excited about a young Australian as Tilio at Melbourne City. Nathaniel Atkinson also - hoping these two go to the Olympics to put themselves in the shop window. But they won't be coming to Celtic any time soon.

AussieGreek and OziBeerMan like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Painfully slow..

3. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    He’s not suited to Anges style. Definitely lacks the pace.

4. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    "He'd be a natural to replace Broonie and Ange knows him well. Cheaper, similar-ish options could be Luongo or Armini, or Riley McGree at Birmingham, but I doubt we'll see any of those."

Im hoping that the natural replacement for Broonie is already at the club.........Soro.

AdamRS likes this.
  5. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Luongo is a spud imo tilio on the other hand what a player

AussieGreek and craigtheceltic like this.
  6. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think Soro is an Ange type player. Gives 100% every game, will be able to do the press, always looking to go forward & loves a challenge.

7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Watching that game, all I could think of was Tilio on the left and a fit Arzani on the right - how explosive would that be! Tilio's ball control and balance, courage and doing the unexpected is great to watch. He looks a real find.

The big Viduka likes this.
  8. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Firstly I think you underestimate how poor the SPFL is and secondly I don’t think it’s sunk in to the Aussie fan base on how big our fans expectations are in terms of signings.

I’d be struggling for 5, but would be keen to see what Nisbet and Doig both of Hibs could do. Both young but with the right coaching/team could be decent players in the future.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    If you read my previous comment, I was asking which players from the Scottish Premier League clubs, excluding Rangers, are admired and would be a good fit for Celtic. Not Australians. Which players are seen as talented and a handful to deal with when Celtic and other teams play against them. Willie Wallace came to Celtic from Raith Rovers I believe. Are there players out there that would be as influential as Wallace if they were to come to Celtic ? Maybe that is too great an ask considering how good he was.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There are a few players in the spfl that are promising, for sure.

But Celtic can not be filling the squad with that calibre.

If we signed 5 spfl level players, you'd be lucky if one would actually improve the squad. Lucky if two go on to develop in to squad players.

The level Celtic need to operate at is way beyond spfl calibre squads.
    We don't have the luxury that clubs like Bayern Munich have in Germany, where the nation is more natural at developing talent across the board, making it a viable market place to pick up cheaper/local talent that is able to compete at the top level.

We took Turnbull from Motherwell last season. There is one or two others in the league that could fare well, but having 5 or so signed from Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen, st Johnston, in one season just wouldn't cut it here.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

craigtheceltic and Noskeil like this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    McCann from St Johnstone would be a good signing for us if we can get him for under 2 million.

12. Hydrobhoy

ironic that when he took over brisbane roar in 2009 he started his rebuild and the 1st ones to go were Craig Moore Charlie Miller and Bob malcolm its like he knew he'd be our boss hahahaha

VT8, AussieGreek and Zanderama like this.
  13. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Nisbet fae hibs would be a good buy

14. limezer

There’s not many but Porteous of Hibs would be a decent squad player, and he hates them.

15. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Our youth academy is a joke seemingly, so we need to be signing young Scottish players from elsewhere otherwise we wouldn't be able to fulfill the homegrown player quota to play in Europe. I'd prefer we developed our own, but for whatever reason we don't give them a chance. They mustn't be any good.
    We've had Tierney, McGregor, Forrest since 2010ish who have turned out to be of the required standard to play SPFL and in Europe. Have we even produced any players that would cut it in just the SPFL, in the last 10 years (Mikey Johnston we will probably never know as he's far too fragile to sustain a run of games)?
    We have these players who always seem to teeter on the edge of breaking through, then disappear to lower leagues of English football or other SPFL teams.

Edit: Actually the people running our youth academy are the joke when you look at players we have released from there who go on to do good things.

Peej likes this.
  16. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    See MoN now chiming in about what Ange needs to "achieve" to keep us rabid, bloodthirsty, moon howling fans happy

He needs to shut his * mouth.

Lamenting that Lemons "treatment" was "well over the top ".

Seriously Martin? Just * your * trap.

I'm baffled as to how ex professionals, who KNOW FIRST HAND the demands placed on a manager here, can still try to defend that season, and how WE were treated by the bumbling triumvirate if Lemon, Lawell and Desmond.

To hear them rant, you'd think Celtic were some Micky mouse outfit that had a hundred to one shot of winning the league, and should have been happy at having our arses turned inside out by a bog standard Sevco with a rookie manager.

Now long ball merchant O'Neil, who walked away leaving us with an elderly squad on tens of thousands a week is now cracking jokes that if Ange doesn't win a treble in his first season we will be calling for his head.

Peej, Lebo and The big Viduka like this.
  17. Maestro 08

The elite clubs are coming in to snap up a fair number of our youths so it can't be all bad. I think the pathway is our biggest problem. There's a glass ceiling here but regards development and coaching...when Bayern Munich are pinching some of your youths then you have to be doing at least something right.

18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Or are they leaving because we as a club prefer to sign cheap foreign * rather than give our own a chance?

19. Maestro 08

That's what I'm saying. The pathway is our biggest problem. I.e first team opportunities.

Peej and Fear Dearg like this.
  20. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Why the season wasn't ended without some of the kids getting a run of games beyond me

Peej, Dublin Celt, OziBeerMan and 3 others like this.