1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Sorry but I didn't mean for it to be took that you specificaly said he doesn't concentrate on the defence but some Aussies did on this forum & elsewhere.

Well definetly above teams like The huns & Sunderland who gave him a knock back. I'm not trying to put Ange down but seems the Aussies want to put Celtic down & big up Ange at the same time.

Lennon had his team full on attacking without scoring goals & left his defence wide open. As I said Ange is going to have to break 10 men behind the ball down, which he hasn't come up against before in Australia or Japan going by what the Aussies have said on here.

I hope he can get the balance correct as not sure I can watch another season like the last.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

OziBeerMan likes this.
  2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    So you are saying it's impossible to improve asian players defensively? I'm not sure I'm the one that should be offended.

3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This is my point. He hasn't come up against 10 men behind the ball that know how to defend. This is a big worry for me as breaking this down is very hard.

I'm hoping his style can find a way to do this without leaving the defence wide open without overloading the attack.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  4. AussieGreek

It is something that cannot be achieved in such a short time considering there’s a whole cultural element to it that you’re naive about.
    A-league is a poor league standard wise, but aussies are no mugs when it comes to defending.

5. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Sorry mate but you liked the post that I quoted & Ozibeerman said they are? I'm confused now.

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    4 years is a short time to improve a teams defence above that of other apparently poor defences? Ok.

7. AussieGreek

Ozibeerman said J-league (Japanese league), not A-league (Australian league).

Mate, you're basing your whole thing on a few minutes of highlights you saw on YouTube.

When Ange took over Yokohama in 2018, they averaged 1.65 goals conceded per match.

In 2019, it was improved to 0.95 per match.

In 2020, it dropped to 1.74 per game (consider COVID.)

And in 2021 (until he left) it was 0.88 per game.

So going by the stats, HE HAS IMPROVED THE DEFENCE FROM WHEN HE TOOK OVER.

Now quit being a whiner and actually do research before commenting. A few minutes on YouTube doesn't justify your continually false allegations.

As I said, Ange was a defender in his playing career, he knows how to set one up.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Lebo, Dannybhoy81 and trackebhoy like this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Welcome to all our Aussie posters and lurkers and appreciate your input. Old Celtic fans and new based in Oz. If you don’t know much about Celtic then I urge you to catch up on the History of Celtic on YT etc. You will find it fascinating from a sports point of view and more importantly a social aspect. You will understand why we are one of the most passionate supports in the world. :50:

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I love this video Packy

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Continually false allegations? Jesus wept.

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Ok here's a question for you, why exactly should I consider covid to be a factor? Did it not impact any other teams, just his? Or was it because he was too inflexible to change his style when it was called for as they were playing too many games in a short space of time?

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This thread has took an odd turn the last few pages :56:

13. AussieGreek

here's more stats.

When Ange took over Brisbane Roar in 2009, who were near the bottom of the table, they were conceding 1.56 goals a match.

In the next season, that was reduced to 0.87 goals a match.

Just pipe down, you're awfully boring now.

14. Al Bootyerbaws

Some amount of utter pish on this thread.

15. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Yeah,let's get back to the fact that we have just ended up giving, in a panic,the most important job in the club to Mike Bassett England manager and fans are over the moon that he "won't back down to anyone"

Tough talking isn't going to scare the opposition

16. AussieGreek

"Anyone you speak to about [Ange] will tell you that he’s ruthless, that he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

At A-League side Brisbane Roar, where he enjoyed great success, he controversially got rid of established pros like former Rangers defender Craig Moore, as he looked to revamp the side.

He refutes claims that he’s a bit of a taskmaster. But Postecoglou knows what he wants and says his Celtic team will only have players who are willing to buy into his way of working.

He said: “It becomes a nice story but I didn’t get rid of anyone at Brisbane.

“All I do is change and create an environment, then people make a decision on whether it suits them or not.

“If it doesn’t I don’t take it personally. I don’t think players or staff leave a club because of me.

“It doesn’t suit either purpose for people to stay if they are unhappy.

“If that’s being ruthless, then yeah I don’t lose any sleep about people leaving."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...-postecoglou-reveals-celtic-scottish-24404199

VT8 likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Away ya go.

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What a weird thing to get worked up about.

19. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    It's weird to be "getting worked up about" the fact that our new manager was a last minute panic choice ,who coincidentally, happens to be friends with the son of Peter Lawell

I feel like puking when I read people on here going on about being impressed with the way he spoke to the players in training.Ive had better motivational advice given to me when I was playing under 8's for Shannon Town

It sounds no different to huns getting wet about Caixinha

20. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can you prove that first part? He was a last minute panic choice and is friends with Peter Lawell’s son?

Also, if he is friends with him, doesn’t bother too much because he seems like the correct appointment and wasn’t just ushered in over Eddie Howe. So doesn’t feel like jobs for the boys.

Whether Dom McKay is being honest or lying I like to think he’s being honest, it comes across as if he knew Ange and knew of him for a while and it was him who was pushing to make sure we hired him.

Okay, he wasn’t first choice but it seemed straight away, once Howe was not coming, we were straight into another target. It actually came out in the news very quickly.

That doesn’t seem very panicked to me.

The way he has spoken since he’s taken over has been impressive. It makes a huge difference. How do you know you’ve had better advice when you were playing under 8s at Shannon Town? Sounds like you’re just not happy and want to moan.