1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good to have Celtic supporters taking an interest in the club, no matter where they come from. :50:

Rydo1888*, VT8, Mickmac and 9 others like this.
  2. AussieGreek

A great insight to the lives of us whose parents came to Australia to make our lives better, not there's (which is also mentioned in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding :84: ).

A straight-shooting working-class (in his roots) immigrant manager Ange is.

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

He speaks very well

Can’t wait for the season to start now

Rydo1888* and AussieGreek like this.
  4. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Could the same not be said when Celtic are taking a punt on Ange when no other European club would?

I've brought this up before about the defending. Listening to most of the Aussies he loves to push forward to entertain & score loads of goals. Not heard many talk about how he sets his team up to defend when loosing the ball while on the attack.

What i've noticed from most of the Aussies is all they want to talk about is his attacking style of football which sounds great but there need to be a balance between this & defending. Think i seen one guy pick up on * defending. We have just been through a season of having our last 2 defenders (CB's) camped on the opposition 12 yard box to then lose the ball & be hit on the break.

I have heard a lot of good things about Ange & give him my full backing, but because we score 2 goals playing great football but lose the game is not going to wash here.

Lupis and King of Kings like this.
  5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Obviously want every manager to succeed but there's something about him that makes me want it even more in his case. Off the back of a shitshow of a season, the reaction to his appointment, his interviews. Please don't be a let down.

6. MAP

I can't see AP (or any other manager) having had the success he has had if he couldn't set a team up to defend; I find this concern overblown.

I'd suggest people check out some J-League stats on GF and GA etc (2019 and 2021 seasons) for a feel as to how his teams have performed (2020 being a COVID hit season, and not the norm).

The big Viduka likes this.
  7. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Ange has knocked back offers from a few Euro clubs. It’s well known. He’s waited for the right project.
    As for defence. I wouldn’t say he doesn’t set a defence, nor drill the importance of it, however more so that if you out score your opponent you win. A very basic premise. But true.

8. AussieGreek

Especially over the fact that Ange in his playing career WAS a defender himself.

9. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Bigger European clubs than us?

Sorry mate but you have just proven my point in the not giving a * about defending:56:

I'm all for attacking football as is every other Celtic fan. We are not slagging Ange off which some Aussie's seem to think. We're seeing the pros & cons which is part of football, we do the same with every player we sign aswell. Reading on here it seemed that most Aussie teams just attacked so this really suited Ange's style of football? Ange going all out attack really suits the style of football the other teams in our league play, which is 10 behind the ball not open football like in Australia.

I've said it before. I'm behind Ange, as he seems to plays the kind of football i want to go & watch week in week out, watching good football isn't any good if you win * all. Having a balance between the 2 or having a plan defensively when losing the ball will go a long way to helping win the league. I'm reading on here he doesn't put much into the defensive side of football which i think will be a big mistake.

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Weirdly enough it's a lot easier to outscore your opponent when you aren't conceding silly goals.

11. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Don't remember having our last 2 defenders camped on the opposition 12 yard box - I'm pretty sure it never happened. The problem for me last season was that we were far too cautious and didn't press high enough up the park or aggressively enough. We gave SPL teams far too much respect and so struggled to score goals. We were allowing teams to have the ball in their own half as though we were scared to press them. We weren't great defensively either hence the losses to Ross Co etc but the main problem was lack of goals.

Noskeil likes this.
  12. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Who said he concedes silly goals?
    His teams are well drilled. Have solid defence, but definitely play attacking football.
    Interpret that any way you like.

13. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ok might have been an over exaggeration but they were very high up the park. Once we lost the ball the 2 CB's would struggle with the other team hitting us on the break. I do get that Ange plays the high press which might help out with this once we lose the ball.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

14. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I stated this a few pages back, going forward was a sham last season, not one part of the park covered themselves in glory, crosses and attacking set pieces were disgraceful, defending them was even worse. Midfield had zero penetration, no quality in breaking teams down. This in turn gave the strikers next to nil to work on, although eddy wanted to take on 3-4 players every time. We need to get our groove back with fresh ideas, like the rest of us we hope AP can bring back the Celtic roar, that 5 minutes to FT where if the fans get the lads G-ed up we can get a result.

Mickmac likes this.
  15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    As I said earlier in the thread I watched highlights of some Yokohama games recently and the defending was shockingly bad, so I am basing it on that.

16. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I’ve re done this post several times now, because I don’t want to offend.
    Serious question, how big do you rate Celtic in Europe? In the top how many teams?
    And I’ve never said he doesn’t focus on defence. However if you out score your opponent, you win.
    I was taught that in the under 9’s for Pendle Hill. Not rocket science nor scarily weird science.
    Stop them scoring and score more than they can. Best way to stop them scoring......attack attack attack. PRESSURE.
    Doesn’t mean we don’t defend. For the record, I was a fullback. Loved it too. Smashing those smarmy * forwards.

17. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Yep, and I said it elsewhere, J League and Asian players in particular, are very weak defensively.

trackebhoy and AussieGreek like this.
  18. AussieGreek

You’re a Parramatta boy?

OziBeerMan likes this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    You'd think a good coach would be able to address that though, wouldn't you?

green-yin likes this.
  20. AussieGreek

Without offense, this demonstrates your naivety of the Asian game.