1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

:boxing::boxing::boxing:

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Not really the same thing. Clarke made poor team selections and poor tactics before a ball was kicked, that's not really what I was talking about here.

3. Mr. Slippyfist

To me, defending on the front foot has always been more of an indicator of teams who put YOUR defence under pressure more than yours is.

limezer likes this.
  4. oh bhoy

naw id ask if i had to work with the fella with the big nose and the wee * with the laptop

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I get what you mean, but there was an interesting point where he sort of expanded a bit more, that coming up against teams dead set on parking the bus, that his style - if everyone gets on board - is designed that it WILL break that down.
    In the past our approach to it was merely to out possess the opponent and assume they tire. I get the impression Ange approach is very much more what I want with talk of strength, speed, impact and directness. We won't be sitting back passing the ball around the half way line, we will be carrying it forward and getting at them. Forcing them to backtrack, forcing our way through their lines.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

Pure, unadulterated football.

I'm in love :52::52::52:

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I get that, and I don't have a problem with it, where I have the concern is when it still isn't working. His philosophy, as far as I can see, seems to be keep doing it the same way it'll work eventually, but there are times where the players are having an off day, or the pitch and weather are terrible the ball keeps holding up in the mud and the usual way just doesn't work. That's where I am not sure yet if he will still keep making them do the same thing, or will he be flexible enough to change things to suit the circumstances.

martin_d likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'd honestly rather, in regards European football, entertain and win the games against Midjetland, Gladbach, Anderlecht, Lazio, be destroying the lesser teams and then at least try to take the game to the teams like Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern etc.

We simply ARE NOT winning those games without the biggest slice of luck on our side and bad luck on theirs.

But we should be building a squad/team that goes in to the qualifiers, in to the group stages, and want to play good football and take the game to the rest of them. Get 9 or 10 points off the other 2 teams by playing exciting football and taking it to them, learn from the inevitable humping we get off the Barca and PSG of the world.

Not just setup the whole thing to try and sneak a point off Barca and PSG as if that is giving us any real clout of sense of development and understanding where we are at.

We won't beat Barcelona this season then suddenly think we are on their level.
    But we can go build a team to beat Gladbachs of this world and know we are there.

Lebo, Rydo1888*, trackebhoy and 4 others like this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Only time will tell bud.
    I would find it more weird though if he started going down the what-if route during the first day pressers though and inevitably be doubting his own ability and style.

Lupis likes this.
  10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think I might have * that saying up. I’m sticking with it though cause I like it.

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Absolutely. But all that most of us have to go off of to form our opinions at this point are the press conferences, and some highlights of Yokahama matches on youtube. As you say time will tell, and fingers crossed his will be a successful style and philosophy here.

Peej likes this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agreed bud, and prior to yesterday I was slowly getting around to it all, but overall I was very very sceptical (being polite about it now ha).
    Yesterday, for me, went a long way to starting a new era under both and we can only take them at their word for now.

Lupis likes this.
  13. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    * me, hearing that makes me think
    Australian football is way in front of Scottish??? Is that a real thing, you go out to a game with the mindset to grind out a result. Which means a draw. Jesus. I thought Celtic were THE club! We smash teams, not play for a draw!!!

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I think in this context "grinding out a result" means ensuring you get the three points even if the football isn't brilliant. (could be wrong though).

scuzzy, OziBeerMan and Peej like this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He means something a little different.

In Scottish football, Celtic come up against at least 9 other teams who will literally sit with all 11 men defending their final third, camped in with little to no space to play the ball in to.
    "grinding" the result, he means getting the win, but it would be a narrow win with a boring game that see's little goalmouth action, not through the fault of Celtic (as such) but because of the way the opponent plays. Other teams are grinding out for a draw, Celtic need to grind out for 90mins to get the win. Which because of how they play, doesn't always come, hence what Lupis means by dealing with it accordingly. One approach doesn't always work when the opponents gameplan is literally just to stop you playing football (as opposed to also going for a win).

packybhoy and OziBeerMan like this.
  16. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    It’s 12.30am here in the land of Oz, Saturday night, and I’m on the cans. Well Scotch actually. I should probably leave my witty repertoire until tomorrow. And the missus is calling me to bed and I’m still watching Hail Hail 67. I think I’m in the doghouse tonight.

Peej, craigtheceltic, VT8 and 2 others like this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    No, read what I actually said. You have to be prepared to do that DURING a game if things are not going to plan, not start out with that as your gameplan.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  18. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Ahhhh pragmatism - a Lenny-ism.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If you think Lenny was pragmatic you may need to check the definition of the word.

martin_d likes this.
  20. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

It was him who used to drop that word freely.

Anytime I hear that word with regards to football it makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

Tl;dr * pragmatism.