1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Signing up over 4 years ago and holding all that in....I'm cringing for you.

Keano88, JimMc and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. TheSquirrel

Think a European cup is overrated, you ask. Did I not say that the Lions feat was one of the great sporting accomplishments? You will find that I did. However, it is over 50 years old and the competition is held every year. What I am saying is that it is quite sad that the clubs main claim to greatness even today is of an event that happened over 50 years ago. Do you consider Porto a European powerhouse base dominated on the fact that they won it as recently as 2004? What about Steua Bucharest? Nottingham Forest? In and of itself, the European Cup was a marvellous achievement and rightly lauded. My gripe is that the club and it’s fans are still beholden to it 50 years later, still define themselves by it rather than having made more history. In a sense it just affirms Celtics status as a great from a bygone era but who are now simply alsorans on the biggest stage.

Hate it when Celtic are regarded as a huge club, you ask. When it is proclaimed by people with a vested interest, yes, because it looks desperate. It’s a bit like David Brent harping on about how funny he is when no one else thinks so. It’s equal parts narcissism and insecurity.

Like to think of Celtic as a small club for running a successful business model, you ask. I’ll be honest, I know in your head you have twisted whatever I have said so that your statement there makes sense but I cannot fathom how you have managed to contrive that meaning from any part of my original post.

Hate the Rebs and refer to those who sing them as plastic paddies, you ask. No, not per se. It’s the actual plastic paddies that annoy me, and I was once among their number. If they are Irish then more power to them but when they are Scottish with only very tenuous links to Ireland (if any)and adopt the whole ‘cause’ mentality then I think it’s just embarrassing.

Great question from the OP.

3. TheSquirrel

Couldn’t agree more. I still love the songs as just a bit of fun etc but it’s those who take it to heart that get me.

4. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    I should've clarified further. Scottish-born Celtic fans who support Ireland over Scotland ONLY because they support Celtic are riddies.

Christ, I'm supporting anyone but England at this point in the World Cup, I'd be a hypocrite otherwise :giggle1:

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

What a * thread.

6. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Too many * tory * in our support that would be better off supporting another team.

7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I don’t think this is unpopular

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There was plenty on here and in pubs shortly after that stuck the boot into them and backed the club's decision.

JC Anton, Liam Scales and Gabriel like this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You taking that?

@Tim-Time 1888

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I still think the majority supported them.

JC Anton and McChiellini.. like this.
  11. Irish-rebel1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Aidan Mcanespie
    Supporting Ireland just because you support celtic I agree is a bit nonsensical but people with Irish heritage who choose to support Ireland it's entirely their choice in my opinion and that goes with any country.

12. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Fans that refer to Celtic Park as ‘paradise’ are cringeworthy. Other than Man United fans calling Old Trafford, “The theatre of dreams,” no other team I know has such a cringey name for their stadium and it makes us seem completely up our own *.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Not for me. The GB are in charge of the front blocks and the club retain the ones up the back. There's a good few guys up there in their 50's, 60's and 70's and they're fully entitled to be there. Far from '*'. Spoke to two of them at HT one day and they used to stand in the jungle every other week, this is the closest there'll ever be to that and they love it.

I take your point about visually it mightn't look great but I think it's great to see a few older, wiser, folk up the back. They've seen a * of a lot more Celtic games than me. And despite not jumping and bouncing about the place for 90 mins they definitely do sing up

Marty McFly likes this.
  14. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Proper hun love in going on in here

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You might be right mate but there was a sizeable enough minority. I remember one wee Scouse guy in the 5 Ways Parkhead that was saying they should be disbanded and they were running our name through the mud. Incensed me.

People forget the time and money they put in to TIFOs, following Celtic and positive initiatives like Food Banks and other charity work. The hysterical reaction to them sticking up Pro-Republican banners to that horrible skidmark of a club was embarrassing.

jake10, StPauli1916 and Gabriel like this.
  16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    It’s like a new wave “Celtic fans” have infiltrated our support. Has become a lot more widespread when Rangers die. I sometimes wonder would newco becoming successful lose us some of these “fans”

StPauli1916, Marie and Seán Mac D like this.
  17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

If either him or you are aiming the tory jibe at me I'll be honest - I genuinely couldn't give a toss. What I will say though is if it wasn't for that * Quinn our club could have easily went down the ebt route in a big way, but we better not be thankful for that tory * i suppose huh :giggle1: (that's assuming people even know it was Quinn who realised it was an issue).

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm winding you up * :50:

...* the Tories though.

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I like Celtic TV commentary.

It shows my family I’m not the only one who constantly moan about the refs during Celtic games.

Rydo1888*, Marie and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Helen Flanagan isn’t as good a right back as Jon Flanagan