1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Holy * can't believe I forgot about that

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Bovril is sub standard.:40:

MagnificentSeven and ruzzle76 like this.
  3. ruzzle76

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubomir moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the willy maley song
    sub-standard, It's much worse than that It's feckin gantin:38::42:

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Wouldn’t actually touch it. Remember my da tried to get me to drink it early 80s during winter games. Nae way. Smell o that *.:42::99:

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Smell the Beef.

Sean Daleer and packybhoy like this.
  6. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I like the hoops and it makes our strips unique. But I am a bit fed up with green and white all the time. I think we should go for a violet and taupe hoops. Can’t break the hoops that would be sacrilege. But just a wee colour change for 1 or 2seasons.:50:

7. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I * love bovril.
    Marmite sandwiches should also be available matchday.

8. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You’re well picking a fight with me these days :56:

JC Anton and Callum McGregor like this.
  9. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Fans near me in 408 need to start singing rather than watching GB providing an atmosphere

Bayern Bru and Liam Scales like this.
  10. Nakamura88

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I would like to see a red away kit with green, ala Portugal kit.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  12. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Boruc was already starting to go downhill in the 2007/2008 season. He was awful in 2008/2009 and by the time he left in 2010 I was glad to be rid of him. I don't really remember him that fondly anymore.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Time has been kind to him in the sense of how hes remembered. He wasn't hald blunder prone at points

14. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    For me it's the opposite.

Used to worship him, now don't really like him.

The Leiga thing has played a part but his attitude during his last two years was awful on occasions, really unprofessional and really disrespectful towards the club.

Sean Daleer, freederry20 and Valhalla like this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not having that mate, he was prone to a clanger every so often but he was still an outstanding keeper easily the best we've had since I started watching (1995) ... although everything was worse in the 90s :lingua:

packybhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Jock Browns book changes my opinion of him.

17. Cupid Stunt

Sorry if this has already been mentioned and don't know if it will be particularly unpopular or not, but the * in the standing section behind the GB that don't sing and jump about should be told they have to give their ticket up and go sit in the main stand. Find it so frustrating that that corner could look absolutely class but it just ends up the first 15 rows or however many the GB occupy that actually add to the atmosphere. Makes it look poor in comparison with standing sections and ultras sections around Europe when it could be class.

Sean Daleer, jake10 and AndyRocks1888 like this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Dembelition is the cringiest thing I've ever seen..

19. TheSquirrel

My unpopular Celtic opinions are:

The Lisbon Lions legacy feels like a millstone around the clubs neck. Ever since 1967 everything the club has done has been in deference and reference to that side. I just think it’s kind of sad that a supposedly massive club only has a single tournament win from over 50 years ago underpinning it’s name. To me, the way we harp on about ‘67 is much more (dare I say it) pathetic than the way England do with ‘66. Or, at the very most, you couldn’t slot a * paper between them. It’s exactly the same kind of thing - like a once-glamorous Hollywood starlet now no longer wanted or adored who just can’t let go of the past and talks about everything present in terms of her glory years whilst having done nothing of note in between - just kind of pitiful and tragic.

With that said, don’t think I’m in any way denigrating the achievement of the Lions - it truly is one of sports great accomplishments. But 50 years on it’s just kind of irrelevant y’know. Nottingham Forest have won it twice, Aston Villa have won it also but it doesn’t seem to cast the same huge shadow over those clubs as it does on ours.

Secondly, whenever football players are interviewed - players from Celtic or from Celtics big European opponents - there is always the cringe inducing crusade for validation. Asking opposition about Celtic, Celtic Park, Celtic fans, clearly trying to draw some form of praise in order to bolster the esteem of Celtic or of Scottish football generally. And, of course, the interviewee understands this and so feels obligated to politely compliment us. Does any truly big club need to seek constant reassurance like this? The Celtic TV interviews with Paddy’s Roberts for example we’re awash with this kind of begging behaviour. I sometimes feel actual first hand embarrassment when I see it.

Thirdly, Celtic supporters and/or youtubers/celebrity fans/pundits who constantly feel the need to reiterate that Celtic are a “massive club”, as though they are trying to brainwash themselves into believing it. Massive clubs don’t sell their best players to relegation-battling English Premiership sides or to average Championship sides. Players who play for massive clubs don’t want to leave massive clubs only to play for theoretically smaller clubs. Properly massive clubs have properly massive players. Celtic are only a massive club by one metric - their support. In every other metric Celtic fall way short of being “massive”. Unless you only use the term as it applies domestically and therefore relative to other Scottish clubs, but the common sense is that when this is claimed it is meant absolutely, globally, internationally.

Fourth, plastic paddies and the like - the kind of people who believe that Celtic supporters are, or should be, some kind of hive mind. Left wing, pro-IRA etc. I used to sing all the songs too but I remember the moment well when I was 19 and draped in a tricolour singing republican songs in the gallowgate when it hit like a sledgehammer- “I don’t actually give a * about Ireland. What am I * doing? I’m Scottish and I love being Scottish and am proud to be Scottish” and with that I snapped out of my plastic paddy syndrome for good. Now whenever I see supporters talking about the cause and all that, it makes me cringe a little for them.

20. Nakamura88

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    republic_of_ireland_orange_20090702_1511645371.jpg I honestly wouldn't mind an away kit like this, but with green shorts.

Attached Files: