1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by holy pope, Dec 19, 2011.

Discuss The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Cue a sudden rise in PSG fans.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Hope the wee * get injured during his first game ................:84:

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Defending Indian Super League champions Atletico de Kolkata have signed former Republic of Ireland and Tottenham Hotspur striker Robbie Keane for the upcoming season.

Keane, who is Ireland's all-time leading goal scorer (68 goals) and most capped player (146 appearances), has played for numerous clubs in the English Premier League, including Liverpool and Aston Villa. With 126 Premier League goals, he is ranked 13th on the all-time scorers list. Keane's last outing was with the Major League Soccer (MLS) team LA Galaxy, who he joined in 2011.

Keane will join hands with his new coach and former Tottenham teammate Teddy Sheringham as a new-look Kolkata look to win their third ISL title in four years.

"At this stage of my career, the offer to experience a new league and culture in Asia appealed to me. To join the current Indian Super League champions is a great pleasure and through hard work I hope to bring the ATK fans more success and enjoyment over the course of the 2017-18 season," Keane said.

Sheringham, who briefly played alongside Keane in the 2002-03 Premier League season, felt the 37-year-old's "enthralling skills with the ball" and "willingness to take on the opposition" were huge positives for the team.

"I am sure ATK's striking abilities will be bolstered with Robbie in the side. I am sure the young Indian players we have selected from the domestic draft will learn from him about the way he goes about preparing for a major tournament like ISL," he said.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socc...tletico-de-kolkata-sign-robbie-keane-for-isl4

4. celtic warrior

Keane on his move to India: "I did it for the lolz"

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Looks like it.

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

I've always had a soft spot for Atletico de Kolkata since I was a boy

7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Arsenal are losing grip on the Thomas Lemar situation after Barcelona seriously positioned themselves, according to tomorrow's L'Équipe.

8. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Wonder what Barca will do with that dirty Neymar money. My opinion of them has been pretty low lately, imagine they donated half of it to charity. Would be a real statement that, unfortunately would never happen

9. Barry Robson

Barca apparently gone for Inigo Martinez, from Real Sociedad

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why the * would they donate it to charity :56:

freederry20 likes this.
  11. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Because in my opinion that amount of money should not be involved in the game, is donating to charity a joke to you?

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  12. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Bit of an odd signing if it ends up happening, good player at Sociedad's level but you don't imagine Barca will see him as anything other than defensive cover. At 26 he's already hit his prime years, made his debut for Spain back in 2013 and has only gained 4 senior caps. Could see him going the way of Illaramendi and being back in Sociedad after a year or so. Can't see him displacing Umtiti.

He's probably an upgrade on Vermaelan who looks set to get the punt (think they loaned him to Roma last season) but it's a shame they don't have the next Puyol coming up from the academy.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Surely you can understand why your suggestion can be seen as bizarre?

Roadrunner likes this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

What are you on about, you roaster?

:87:

15. Barry Robson

Southampton are apparently signing Mario Lemina from Juve for 16-20m, an hour after the manager saying he doesn't know anything about it :giggle1:

16. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Reports coming out of Spain, Countinho to Barca is a done deal..

17. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, Southampton seem to operate on the 'head coach' model given the turnover they've had in the position over recent years. Silly to give a manager that much say on recruitment when he'll probably be gone in 12-18 months, Southampton are the ultimate stepping stone club.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

They operate a particular database system which means they have contingency plans for the sale of any player or loss of any manager or if they feel there's a particular attribute lacking or needed.

Their model works brilliantly in fairness, the amount of money they've made over recent years is ridiculous.

19. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Absolutely, they've carved out their own sort of niche and make the most of their situation. They buy well, don't chase names for the sake of unrealistic goals, and generally sell replacable players for well beyond their value (though calling the likes of Lallana etc replacable isn't to say they're bad players).

For a club that was in the third division as recently as 2011 they've had an impressive rise. Up to last season they'd finished in a better league position year on year without regressing: 2nd in League 1, 2nd in the Championship and then 14th, 8th, 7th and 6th in the top flight. When slipping back to 8th and getting antsy about slightly dour football from Puel is a 'bad season' you know they're doing alright.

20. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    @Bogunda Batu
    Actually don't see it as bizarre at all. They've made over double the previous transfer record and surely even they must realize how out of hand this is getting. All I said was " imagine this happened" and you're telling me hypothetically if Barca donated €100m to charity you would all think it's bizarre??? What the actual * is wrong with people??? Please explain what is wrong with thinking this

Even from a business perspective they would gain much more fans and attention from donating €100m to charity than buying a €100m player and they still have 100 for a replacement!