1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who and where should Celtic look to strengthen in the January Transfer Window?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ScouseHoops, Dec 17, 2016.

Discuss Who and where should Celtic look to strengthen in the January Transfer Window? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Swervedancer Guest

Someone mentioned Lucas before which I thought was a good shout especially for the qualifiers. I know he's coming to the end of his career but that means we might get him cheap?

January can be a good time to sign out of favour players too and they're usually bargains. If we only made one signing I'd like it to be a strong defensive midfielder to partner Broony because in Europe we'll have to be extra tight at the back especially covering our full backs.

I'd like another quality creative midfielder as well. I mean look at the situation with Rogic out. Who are we going to play there, McGregor? I like him but he's not on the same level.

We need to be as strong as possible for the qualifiers so it's probably logical that we sign in January so they can get used to the team.

What is going to be interesting is how much we'll be spending. Hope big Virgil gets a move and provides us with bonus cash.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    There should be a decent amount there for BR to work with.

He is meticulous in terms of scouting players so I've absolutely no doubt that he knows who he wants already. He deserves to be backed. He has barely spent anything really when you think about it. A bit of money towards 3 or 4 good level players and we will be looking even better.

3. Swervedancer Guest

If he gets anything like Sinclair's standard we'll be laughing. I believe it's very possible too. Players want to play for him and they'll want to play for a big club like us who can provide European football so there are things in our favour even if the funds aren't.

Hoops13 likes this.
  4. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    In this window I'd be content to continue with Gordon and de vries as goalkeeper options. I'd move Bailey on.

I'd continue with the right back options in lustig and gamboa. I'd consider better option in the summer if gamboa doesn't still look like working out and move gamboa on.

I expect ambrose and toure to move on in the summer when their contracts are up. So I'd like to bring in another centre half, I would loan oconnell out to play regular games, and if he continues his early season form I would be happy to sell on boyata in the summer. If oconnell doesn't show that form I'd sell both him and boyata and bring in another centre half in the summer.

Teirney is first choice left back. While if there is an option to bring in decent competition in January it must be looked at. But izzy is decent back up and because the high standard of teirney I would be happy to wait until the summer to replace izzy.

I think we need another centre midfielder to provide competition for Armstrong and brown. Any suitable offer for bitton and I would move him on. I'd also look to give ajer some time out on loan. I really believe Henderson time is running out to make that impact I hoped he could, but I'd give him loan time if we bring that player in that can play first team box to box. While I see mcgregor as not good enough for Europe and the level Brendan wants us to be at, he is a decent versatile player that can be brought into the side for spl games to rest players when needed. He seems that type of player that would be content playing that type of role which is important. I would move Scott Allen on, not because I think mcgregor is better, which I do, I don't think he would be the type to give his all if he's a bit part player.

As regards the wings, Forrest and Sinclair are excellent options. With Roberts here until the summer I'd give gms time out on loan with the promise he will be involved in the squad next season if he impresses. This will enable us to free up the space to bring in Roberts replacement in January, that's off course if Brendan doesn't want to pursue paddy or feels we can't buy him.

We do need another option for the hole behind the striker. Rogic is great and I'm happy him being first choice, but it's a worry in case he gets injured or unavailable with his demanding international trips. Christie isn't at that standard yet anyway, and another that could do with regular first team football away in January so we can fully assess him. So bringing in competition for rogic in this window will be good.

I fully expect dembele to stay until the end of the season. So him and griff are more than good enough options for that lone striker. Ciftci will move on but I'm in no hurry to replace him January. We could always play Sinclair up there if needed. In saying that I wouldn't turn down a golden opportunity to bring in a striker this window if a dembele type ( quality young striker going a lot cheaper than his actual value) becomes available.

Sign:
    Centre half
    Box to box midfielder
    Right winger
    Playmaker

Maybe sign:
    Left back
    Striker

Out on loan:
    Oconnell
    GMs
    Christie
    Henderson
    Ajer

Sell or release:
    Bailey
    Ambrose
    Allen
    Bitton
    Ciftci

ScouseHoops and Swervedancer like this.
  5. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    With the league all but wrapped up, I'd be looking at signing some unpolished diamonds, take some gambles on cheap signings from abroad much in the way we plucked big Vic, Biton, VVD, Rogic from obscure(ish) places and developed them.

6. Cupid Stunt

I'd rather keep rolling with guys like Christie than bring in more squad players. Rodgers has made it very clear he likes working with a small squad so can't see that happening anyway. Our priorities have to be signing players who will imorove us and take us forward as a club now, no more projects until we get to a point where we're good enough to be having at least a crack at last 16.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Players coming in will be bought to make immediate impacts, I would guess.

Not that I want us to steer away from young foreign gambles but right now BR needs to shape the side his way and that means bringing in more quality until he has a solid squad which can be trimmed here and there with the 'diamond' finds brought in now and again.

8. ScouseHoops Guest

Can a small squad win a treble and regularly dominate Scottish football and compete in Europe?

9. Cupid Stunt

We're not talking a 15 man squad to be fair, anything between 21 and 23 players should be enough to cope with that and also allows for a couple of young guys coming through. Commons will probably be gone for good after this loan, Ciftci will be gone, Ambrose and potentially one or two more, we're not gonna be replacing them with projects if at all.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You're going to be sorely disappointed if you expect us to sign 4 players in January.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  11. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    We will sign max 2 players and hopefully sell 4-5. A midfielder and a winger in, Ciftci, Ambrose, Commons(perm) and McGregor out. Could see Bitton staying to summer then leaving.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Exactly, which is something our somewhat prudent board aren't overly keen on doing. I think that clubs are a lot less willing to let good players go in January, too.

13. ScouseHoops Guest

what about the lad up front for Partick (Azeez?) Number 16 looks decent, maybe start keeping tabs on him. Strong, good lone forward, mobile and energetic. Just needs that final finish and composure. I'm not sure we need a forward but if we ever do and we want a purely domestic option for some back up he looked decent the other night, although I'd just as rather play Aitchison and some of our development squad.

14. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Not been funny mate but he's absolutely * dreadful hahaha Nadir Ciftci is a much better player and that's saying something.

Although agree with Aitchison, would love to see him or even PJ Crossan get a wee run out at some point.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  15. ScouseHoops Guest

I thought he had a decent game the other night - who was their winger BR mentioned? Amoo? Barely noticed him.

But I get why you think this, the lad had no composure in the finish.

16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Yeh I agree he was good against us, bullied Jozo a couple of times and caused problems, although iv seen Azeez play a few times saw him in England as well and trust me for every good performance there are 10 others where he is just none existent, first touch all over place doesn't use his body and * me as you say don't get started on his finishing utterly dreadful. Being honest if we bought him id be raging we shouldn't be looking to sign players like him.

Would love to see a couple of younger strikers from youth team get a run

ScouseHoops likes this.
  17. ScouseHoops Guest

Yeah we need to strike a balance in this window of strengthening but also leaving the door open for people like Aitchison etc

18. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    McGregor? Really?

19. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Pretty simple for me.

A winger for when Roberts goes.
    Competition for Rogic
    Central midfielder

20. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've only seen him on a handful of occasions but Crossan looks nowhere near Aitchison for me despite being 2 years older. Definitely agree on Aitchison, who looks a class act for 16.

Valhalla likes this.