1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

All-Ireland gaa championship 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jozo The Provo, Mar 29, 2014.

Discuss All-Ireland gaa championship 2014 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seosamh Máirtín

You're right there, that's why I think Armagh could have a sneaky run this year.

2. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Hopefully for some reason I always like armagh and Kildare just wish Jaime Clark was a dub how we can get rid of that donkey o'gara

3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Meath :56: :56::56::56: sheep fiddling cousin kissing classless *

4. Cliftonville

* how i hate the Dubs, arrogant hures.

5. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Donegal are still staying nicely under the radar even though we are the most likely team to stifle Dublins all out attack brand of football. I am not saying we will beat them but I do not think they will relish playing us. Perhaps brave words that might come back to bite me in the *.

An interesting article from Joe Brolly.
    http://gaeliclife.com/2014/07/joe-brolly-the-future-of-football-is-at-stake/

Article pasted in below post

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    AN INTERESTING thing happened after the Dubs’ game against Laois. I was chatting to Dublin’s team doctor Dave Hickey in the bowels of the stadium when Paul Flynn walked past.
    “Keep talking Donegal up Joe,” he said, as he climbed onto the bus. It brought me back to another conversation I had a few months ago at an awards night in the city. Bernard Brogan came over to where I was standing, nudged me and said, “We would’ve beaten Donegal in that 2012 final.”
    McGuinness is under their skin.
    I first saw McGuinness’s Donegal in their third league game of 2011. The following week, I wrote that their revolutionary approach would make them All-Ireland champions by September. As it turned out, they were beaten in the semi-final by Pat Gilroy’s Dublin that year in what was and remains, the most fascinating game ever played in the 120 years of the GAA. But come the following September, they were champions.
    Watching them slowly suffocating Derry in Celtic Park a few weeks ago, I found the following question going around in my head, “Is there any reason Donegal cannot beat the Dubs?”
    McGuinness was the first manager to fully apply the laws of physics to the game. On their first night at training in 2011, when the squad were given diagrams and McGuinness took them onto the field to walk them through the system he had planned, it was reminiscent of Mourinho’s debut at any of the clubs he has coached. Every minute of training counts. Everything has a specific, match based purpose. The result is that very little can go wrong. They are not reliant on brilliance or heroic individual feats. There are very few imponderables. Instead, each player simply does a job that has been rehearsed a thousand times in training.
    Their defensive system is the most effective in GAA history. The five man screen in front of the six defenders is ingenious. Their counter attacks are precise and deadly. Murphy and McFadden score the frees and maybe chip in with the odd point or two from play. After that, the team clinically dispatches their goal chances. They look for two goals a game from counter attacks, though one is usually enough. In 20 championship matches under McGuinness, only once have they been beaten in a game when they scored a goal. That was against Mayo last year, but I discount that game on the basis that Donegal were a ghost team by then.
    Defensively – exempting that Mayo game – their record is awesome. In 19 championship games, they have conceded just four goals, one of those a rebound from a penalty against Cavan, and the other three mere consolations. In 13 Ulster championship games, they have conceded two goals, both against Cavan. It is hard to know which statistic is more surprising. Three years in a row from 2011-2013, Tyrone have failed to score a three pointer against them. In short, they do not concede goals.
    Which brings me to the Dubs. They have conceded six goals in eight championship games under Gavin, including Dáithí Waters’ goal on Sunday. But more importantly, they present every opposition with goal opportunities. Their attacking, man to man template, depends on outscoring the opposition. So at the back, there is space. In each game they have played, they are permitting the opposition an average of four goal chances. Murphy, McFadden, McLoone and company do not need that many.
    Gavin’s men have scored a colossal 17 goals in championship, including three against Kerry last year. Because of their attack based system, goals are their life blood. Without them, they struggle. It took McManamon’s goal to down Kerry in 2013. Brogan’s two goals were absolutely critical in the final against Mayo, a game they won by a single point. He would not have scored either of those goals against Donegal, against whom the opposition’s scoring zone is a No Go Area. The first floated high ball would have been gobbled up by McGee, but if Durcan had decided to come for it he would have taken the ball and Brogan’s lovely head off. The second was a straightforward run through the middle and hand pass to the far post effort. Against Donegal? I think not.
    Dublin run at pace through the centre, with Michael Darragh as the spearhead. You will notice when they attack that most defences are having to turn and run towards their own goals with their backs to the play. Donegal never do this. The defensive system is always in place, ready to come out and face the attacker. When you reach that imaginary semi circle 60 metres from their goal, you are hitting a wall. The Dubs ran into that wall in the 2011 semi-final and got nowhere, managing 0-8 nearly all from frees. Donegal have refined that system considerably since then. That five man screen is a nightmare to penetrate, putting the onus on the opposition to break it down, like Mourinho’s Chelsea. It is energy sapping and mentally exhausting.
    To beat Donegal, the statistics say you need to be ahead by half-time and preferably by four or five points. Yet, the Dubs frequently find themselves behind at the half time whistle, relying on their great attacking flair to get the job done down the home stretch. So, against Meath, Kerry and Mayo last year and Laois in the first round this year, they have had to come from behind in the second half to win. That is 50 percent of their championship matches under Gavin.
    The era of football-loving managers winning the big titles is over. By big titles, I mean the Ulster championship and the All-Ireland. Jim McGuinness and Malachy O’Rourke espouse a superbly effective defence-based game. Gavin, espouses an attacking mano a mano philosophy, a trickier proposition with far more variables.
    Dublin did not play a single blanket defensive team on their way to last year’s All-Ireland. Nor have they played against a single blanket defence in their march to the League title this year or in the Leinster championship to date. In short, they have been having it all their own way. Nothing can prepare a team for Donegal. The Dubs have had no preparation at all.
    Very little can go wrong with the McGuinness template. Of course, he needs to get through Ulster first, in a final that is guaranteed to be a delight for puke lovers. But if he does that, Donegal are slated to meet the team that cannot be beaten in the All-Ireland semi-final. It is a game that will be of the utmost significance for Gaelic football, colouring managerial philosophy for the next decade. Dublin’s beautiful game versus the cold laws of physics.
    The Donegal machine appears to be back in working order, thwarting all known forms of football. The Dublin players know it is waiting for them. Brogan, Flynn and the lads can feel it in their bones. Jim Gavin best start preparing. The future of football is at stake.
    - See more at: http://gaeliclife.com/2014/07/joe-brolly-the-future-of-football-is-at-stake/#sthash.K3mGxhN6.dpuf

7. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Can't belive that the meath team have to cheek to say o'gara bite someone when there's 4 players on top of him trying to punching him in the head

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
  9. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Good to see monaghan get beat today theyre play is horrible to watch at times

10. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
  11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Round ya :bbpd:

12. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Stifle:87:, is that what ya call it know... We will destroy Donegal and their pish negative football..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  13. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Eoghan O'Gara and Mickey Burke Alleged Biting Inc…: [ame]http://youtu.be/Wms4uWzB9T0[/ame]

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Another class performance from Dublin today. They really are a joy to watch play when they are on form. All the anti Dublin hatred and chip on the shoulder comments and mentalities I have to say just makes every Dublin win and title all the more enjoyable.

15. Cliftonville

Dublin should be by far the most successful Gaelic team of all time, considering the population and talent pool they have always had. Alas they are not.

Only in the last few years are they starting to dominate when the money is unevenly handed to Dublin GAA.

16. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    You can't buy history or success kerry and Kilkenny will always be the best in there respective sports

17. Cliftonville

Dublin are doing a * good job at it recently though!

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

And I am enjoying every momenet and every success for sure. :50:

19. Cliftonville

If i was a Dub i would enjoy it as well.
    I think you are a proper Dublin GAA supporter though, that does not just take a interest when they are in the 1/4s.

Im sure you know the types i am on about.

20. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Hate them glory hunters so much going from the 1st league game to the semis then all of a sudden the stadium Is full of people at there 1st game in years and you can't get a ticket need to change the ticket rules to help out the people who go to everygame instead of letting people in charge of the club's make a mint