1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Valdes credited Ibrox better atmosphere than parkhead

Discussion in 'World Football' started by donnegal celt, Jan 12, 2014.

Discuss Valdes credited Ibrox better atmosphere than parkhead in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. donnegal celt

BARCELONA keeper Victor Valdes has credited Rangers fans with creating the best atmosphere he has ever experienced.

The Nou Camp No.1 is set to spark an Old Firm debate after claiming Ibrox is noisier than Parkhead on European nights.

Valdes has played five times at Celtic Park since 2004 but his standout memory of Glasgow’s football fans came after his side’s goalless draw in Govan in 2007.

Lionel Messi infamously rounded on Rangers after that match for playing “anti-football” but Valdes had only praise for the Light Blues legions.

The keeper was asked on Barcelona TV about the best atmosphere he had played in and the interviewer teased: “Are you going to say Celtic like every other Barcelona player?”

But the Spanish star said: “Celtic create a great atmosphere home and away but I still think the most intimidating stadium I have played in was when we played Rangers.

Barcelona step out at Ibrox in 2007
    SNS

“There must be something about the city of Glasgow because they made so much noise. Normally as a goalkeeper you block out the noise of the fans but the noise they made that night was impossible to ignore.

“We had Henry, Ronaldinho, and Messi playing for us and I can’t think of another occasion when those three were on the same field and we didn’t score.

“Rangers fought like warriors that evening and I am sure a big part of their performance was down to the fans and the atmosphere they create for their players.”

Messi was less impressed and rounded on the tactics that brought Rangers success in Europe in Walter Smith’s second spell in charge.

Messi said: “Rangers didn’t want to play football. Right from the start they went for anti-football and I’m left with a bitter taste in the mouth at not having been able to win the match because we had a decent number of chances.”

Messi’s words contrasted with those of Arsenal legend Henry who said of Ibrox: “I know the atmosphere that’s generated here and that makes it tough for any team. I thought the fans were unbelievable again.

“They were not swearing or shouting stupid things, they pushed their team forward and that’s great to see.”

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. Kevski

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul hartley
    :smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002: Sums this clown up, been the weak link at barca since he has been there and cost them a load of goals!! Arrogance personified and this was vindicated when he had the cheek to come out and say he would go to a team like bayern, oh really victor?

Poor goalie who has been lucky to hide in the best team in the world for past few years, however when called upon more often than not makes a complete James hunt of it:bbpd:

4. Andybhoy91

World record mabie?

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This is Celtic chat how?

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You've got to wonder about some of the articles people post on here, utterly pointless.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Clearly angling for a move time for Cammy Bell to step aside :icon_mrgreen:

8. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Does anyone actually care

9. pkerr2602

That's nice

10. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Celtic chat?

Anyway, he's allowed his opinion. I'll stick with Iniesta, Messi and Maldini's though xx

11. Tulf

12. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    He is also a catalan *(not a leftwing nationalist like most of the catalan movement), so what do you expect :icon_mrgreen:

13. The Lone Ranger

Must be pushing for a move to the huns :smiley-laughing002:

14. ladbroke8

He would have had plenty of time to take in the atmosphere at Ibrox as they never made it near his goal. He probobly couldnt hear our fans fully through the net where he has had to pick the ball from several times.

15. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

:50:

16. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think I've ever watched a Champions League game when Rangers were playing. I did often wonder about the atmosphere.

18. Sween

Maybe it is true?

As above, I cant remember ever watching a Rangers champions league game. I don't think it should really bother anyone though and I don't see why anyone cares less.

19. Millerntor

When we played them at The Govan Reichstag and they were winning, the noise coming from them was something else, up there with Basel as the loudest home support I've heard watching Celtic away from home. A horrible place to be at those times. It stands to reason that at big European nights they would recreate that atmosphere.

20. Vertie Auld

I'm sorry but I know Rangers fans who have said they've never witnessed anything like the atmosphere against Barcelona on our anniversary. I can say with absolute certainty that it's the greatest atmosphere ever witnessed on these shores and one of the best ever, full stop.

Valdés can say what he likes. Piqué, Iniesta, Xavi and Messi have said differently.