1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadline Day Disapointment (again)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickmcl1888, Aug 31, 2013.

Discuss Deadline Day Disapointment (again) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Some people it seems wont be happy unless we are spunking millions of pounds on players, it just isn't going to happen.

We started this business model by buying players in Scandinavia, Israel, Championship, League 1 etc...

This season with extra cash and prestige from our CL run we've included Eredvisie and Bundesliga.

Next season we may look to a higher league to start purchasing from.

These things take time and patience.

IMO of course.

2. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    We lost the core of the team, these guys are not direct rplacements, they are ones for the future, to develope imo.

They might become good players but not this season, we need an out and out goal scorer now, we also need an attacking mid, and a defender who is experienced.

3. Onefootwonder

I think far too many people are jumping the gun with Pukki.

Hooper's scoring record was good. No arguing about that at all. We got him as quite a few teams were still unwilling to take the risk on a Scunthorpe player.

Pukki is only 23 and has been at Schalke for 2 years. He hasn't had a run.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him, but reports suggest he is a very good player. He deserves a fair crack.

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Wilson was 25, Wanyama 20, Hooper 22 when we signed them. Pukki is 23, Biton 21 and Van Dijk 22. Basically the exact same.

And how do you know they wont be good players for us this season?

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We've sold 2 players, bought from the championship in England, and replaced them with players from the Dutch and German top leagues.

That's progress as far as I'm concerned.

6. CharlieMulgrini

Do you know the window is at 11pm?

7. SpellCheck92

How do you know that ? You got a crystal ball aye ? :smiley-laughing002:

8. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I'm very happy with the signings we have made. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new guys get on this season.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't sign another player. £10 million is more than enough to spend in one transfer window.

9. SpellCheck92

Who knows they might be but I doubt it highly :smiley-laughing002:

10. Bangarangura

some * people, keep changing the goalposts and dont enjoy the signings that have come in, its always got to be, next guy...., next guy......, next guy, allow yourself to enjoy who we've brought in already ffs, dont want a massive influx of players unsettling things

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Football manager going on half the people on here :rolleyes:

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Funny thing is, in a purely hypothetical scenario, if we signed players from Scunthorpe, Beerschot, and a guy who was struggling to hold down place for Forrest to replace a guys from Eredivise and Budesliga people on here would be foaming at the mouth :smiley-laughing002:

We've basicall done the reverse of that, as well as give the squad more depth, and people still aren't happy

13. Celtic abu

Still want a quality attacking, creative midfielder

Aiden McGeady please

14. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    I would have preferred more exciting activity in the transfer market too, but I think its unfair for anyone to say "the team is weaker this year".

Its far too early to make such a huge judgement. You never know, Biton might well be Wanyama 2.0. Pukki might rip the premiership to shreds. Van * and Mouyokolo might keep more clean sheets each than Wilson ever did. Or maybe non of that will happen

but the point is its too early to judge the transfer activity in this window.

15. Sween

But a model only works if you build on success. Last season we made more money than ever before, and having sold off our spine, according to the BBC just this minute we have had a £1.2m bid for someone called Lee Tomlin from Peterborough turned down.

Now I am not suggesting we start "spunking millions of pounds" away but is this really the level of our ambition? (assuming we actually go back and offer more than £1.2m). After punting 40,000 odd season books are £400-500 a go, and making £20m+ from the champions league alone never mind players sold last season, a 24 year old from a team that just got beat 2-0 off Crawley at home is where we are focussed?

A model has to be forward thinking. It has to drive a club forward, but I see no evidence that we are doing this. What we seem to be doing is trying to scrape into the champions league each year, selling off our talent, and hoping we can do the exact same the next year. We got away with it this year, but only just, and there are only so many times you can sell off you best players without replacing them before it catches up on you.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We sold two players bought from the second tier in England and replaced them with players from the top leagues in Germany and Holland.

Is that not progress?

17. Bangarangura

its a dynamic model that will change gradually over the seasons, you cant just suddenly start signing players 2 or 3 rungs above us, you have to go up a level each season gradually, and I believe we have done that this window and very sensibly at that

18. SpellCheck92

You will find that the majority of the panic merchants are FM merchants.

19. Sween

Of course we will need to wait and see. But intuitively I think "no". I think the consensus from Ajax fans is that Boerrigter would be an ok squad player if he can stay fit. And from what we have seen I think that is fair enough. Pukki is a bench player with a so-so scoring record. I hate feeling negative, and if they turn out to be just as good as Wanyama and Hooper I will happily apologise, but I just dont see it.

Fair enough, but I disagree. But only time will tell and I hope you are right

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Jeezo Sween.

Carry on mate, you want the samaritans phone number?