1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadline Day Disapointment (again)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickmcl1888, Aug 31, 2013.

Discuss Deadline Day Disapointment (again) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bangarangura

thats what you get for being stupid :56:

2. GAZZAR88

Think the scouting team deserve the benefit of the doubt as last season we barely spent anything and got to the last 16,this year we have spent around 10 million.We have signed a few gems again :celt_2:

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Id like to get Tomlin and Buttner to add a bit of depth.

4. mickmcl1888

I just feel that with all the money made from last years champions leage plus then selling 3 of our best players and now qualifying (by the skin of our teeth) for another champions league jackpot our transfer business has been so underwhelming. Yes we've spent 8 million or whatever on 4 or 5 players but we've taken in 20 odd million so this has been disappointing, we always seem to go for quantity over quality too and were crying out for a goal scorer and a centre back with some kind of experience

5. mickmcl1888

I know!!!:smiley-laughing002:

6. magoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky/ Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    There will be more efforts to get another couple of players in before the deadline, who ? I genuinely dont know, but stop whinging eh ! The same whingers probably moaned like * when players like Hooper, Wanyama, and Wilson came in. Keep the faith eh, and get behind your team :ynwacelti

7. Sween

I dont think it is the quantity that people have an issue with, but rather the quality. We have sold the spine of our team and replaced then with guys that Lennon himself has implied isnt going to replace who we already have.

Van Dijk is a youngster who may come good, but Mouyokolo was a freebie who hasnt got a game anywhere in 3 years and not one English club wanted him when they could have got him for nothing.

We have signed 2 strikers. One has a poor scoring record and obviously isnt considered any better than we already have. Pukki is a Schalke bench player, so while he might come good he clearly wasnt our first choice and Schalke clearly do not rate him all that much.

Biton, I dont know anything about but I feel a bit more hopeful in that he fits the profile of players who have done well when we have signed in the past. He seems young and hungry and may come good.

So having lost our best defender, best midfielder, and best stiker, I think we have replaced Wilson with an unwanted squad player at Wolves (van Dijk was already signed). We signed a cheap youngster to replace our £12m star, and we signed one striker who cant get a game already and another who cant get a game for Schalke.

I may be proven completely wrong and of course I will give them all 100% support. But we are clearly moving backwards, not forwards. And considering we made more money last season than any other year in our history, I just dont think that is acceptable.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    See if you owned a hoover that hoovered your floors, you bought for £50, would you spent £250 on another hoover that allowed you to hoover 1 minute faster?

Because thats what people are expecting the club to do.

Why spend £6/7million on Finnbogason when it wouldnt really make any differance to us. It would not make us favourites to finish 3rd in the CL Group and it would not give us any better a chance of winning domestic Trophies.

Theres no reason for us to change from uncovering Matthews, Lustig, Izaguirre, Kayal, Wanyama and Hoopers on the cheap to paying 3/4 times the price for players no better than them.

9. pod

Thats what I thought the OP was referring to and he was right.

Rest of the post I don't think too many can argue with.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You have picked the negative out of every single situation, completely unbalanced comments.

11. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    Not often I will agree with one of your mans posts but that is exactly how I feel. The fact we haven't signed an actual replacement for Hooper is staggering, people saying that pukki will be this replacement are way off IMO. Hooper had a proven track record of scoring goals before be came here, something Pukki doesn't. I may be completely wrong about this but that's how I feel. The signing of Tomlin is hugely underwhelming, if he was ever a serious target why would we wait until the last minute, I don't understand it.

12. mickmcl1888

The point is we should be looking to constantly improve the team, you're right in saying it wouldn't make much difference domestically because well walk the league but that's not really the point as we should always look to make the team better. I actually think a good centre back and a goalscorer could make all the difference between finishing 3rd in our CL group and finishing 4th.

13. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Celtic have brought in 5 quality players. Too many armchair scouts wrapped up in playing FIFA all day thinking they know better. You know JACK. These are the same folk that like to moan and complain about lack of signings all the time like they know better (NOT!). It's a business, only a dummy would spent 7 mill on Finboggasson (sick to death of hearing him) to probably play him in 6 meaningful games in europe and then have him playing in an inferior league for the rest of the year. It's not financially viable to have marquee signings anymore. Celtic's system WORKS.

I may just copy and paste this in the other million similar threads too!

:47:

14. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Still looking to replace three important players, that lot you quoted are to supplement the team, we are still weaker than last season.

15. SpellCheck92

There is no pleasing some people. We have spent over £10m. Getting Buttner in would be a good bit of business. I would rather we didn't pay a premium to get Tomlin in though. I think we are sorted upfront with the Signing of Pukki. Stokes is on form and we have Balde and Watt upfront as well. We have done some great business imo.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It might it might not, I wouldnt gambe £10million on two players to chance it though.

Van Dijk, Mouyokolo, Biton, Boerrigter, Balde and Pukki have come in to replace Rogne, Wilson, Wanyama, McCourt, Miku, Lassad and Hooper.

We have no idea if they will be better or worse than them.

For all we know Van Dijk, Biton and Pukki could be as good as Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper. We already know Boerrigter is better than McCourt.

17. mickmcl1888

This is exactly how I feel too

18. SpellCheck92

How do you know that ? Those players could turn out to be as good as Wanyama/Hooper.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What is Van Dijk, Biton and Pukki, if not to replace Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper?

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I know its mental lol

Id like to know how people know Van Dijk, Biton and Pukki are worse than Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper. Were people really watching Groningen, Ashdod and Schalke every week?