1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Wayne Rooney

Discussion in 'World Football' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Mar 7, 2013.

Discuss Wayne Rooney in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Has his stock plummeted recently?

Bit of talk about Man Utd possibly looking to replace him and watching SSN and there on off the ball on ESPN the guys are talking like he's past his best. One of them even said "if your going to sell him you do it now as in 6 months people could look at him as being over the hill" :97: saying he was unfit etc remember Roy Keane saying something during that game too the other night like his time is up.

I hadnt really noticed he was off form or people were questioning him or his fitness. Is this something thats been building for a while or stuff being blown out proportion since he was dropped from the Madrid game?

What do the Man U fans on here make of him, are the Man U fans questioning him?

2. James Gold Member Gold Member

great player but massively over rated

3. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

Hasn't lived up to his potential or improved year on year, still a good player that would improve most club sides in Europe,

4. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Very good player regardless. Think it'd be a mistake for United to let him go tbh

Who would be in for him? Juve maybe. Atletico Madrid if Falcao leaves. Don't really know tbh but the other seriously massive clubs won't want him I wouldn't imagine. Depends on the price I suppose.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He will be sold in the same way Beckham was, in the same way RVN was, in the same way Staam was, in the same way Ronaldo was and in the same way numerous others were.

Fergie gets his worth out of players and then sells them for big bucks, continually.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    How great or how over rated though? do you mean he's like similar to Tevez but people think hes much better than him or that?

Yeah true, that maybe why he's being questioned as he hasnt really ever improved pretty much been the exact same for the last 6 or so years always creates a few and scores a few and puts in a shift. Maybe if he wasnt as good when he was younger and then kicked on a good bit he'd be seen as better as guys like Ronaldo, Messi, Bale and Van Persie all had lesser season and then ones where they burst on the scene by scoring much more. Rooney has remained a 20-30 a season player since he was about 21.

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    PSG maybe, I think Real Madrid would take him too if they were to sell Benzema or Higuain, maybe Man City or Chelsea too if Man City let go of Tevez and Chelsea Torres although you dont know if theyd sell to them.

Aye, seems Ferguson can tell when a players close to the end and time to cash in, I have always thought of Rooney as a player who will burn out early maybe at 31/32 couldnt really see him doing a Scholes or Giggs and going into his late 30s doesnt seem the type of guy who would like to sit on the bench for years as bit part.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

The english media would have you believe he is the best striker in the world when in fact it can be argued he's not the best striker at Man Utd.

9. Jayzhinho67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing !
    Would not surprise me if a wee swap with spurs for a certain Mr Bale might be on the cards here.

10. Binnie_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    I think a move would be good for both parties at this stage. Could see him at Chelsea actually.

11. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    so much talent but not useing all of it .

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I dont think he would go to Spurs though would he?

Would probably be good for him to go to a new team and start a fresh.

I think he's still playing quite well. The problem is throughout his time at Man U theyve never really played to his strengths. I think ideally Rooney would like to play in a 4-4-2 up front with a targetman type strike that he can play in behind or that the wingers could hit and he could get on the end of the balls knocked down but theyve never had that type of partner for him, theyve had guys like Tevez, Berbatov and Van Persie who are all capable of doing that role too and play slightly deeper meaning he then has to play deeper than he would like.

13. Shane1888

Ronaldo was sold too early, in my opinion.

I understand that no club will knock back £80m for any player (Messi being the exception perhaps), but look at the player he's flourished into at Real Madrid.

14. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I can never see him leaving England but then again I don't suppose I would have seen Owen or Beckham leave back in the day.

There's still plenty years left for Rooney yet

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think its a bit of an overreaction tbh.

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I think Ronaldo is the only one that Hammer mentioned who actually wanted away....which is why they took the money.
    Beckham another example.The £23 m they got was good money at the time.

Personally i think Rooney is still superb.....but he hasnt developed from maybe the top 20 players in the world, to the top 5 as many expected.

If Spurs sell Bale to Man Utd, they will be selling their soul.

17. Higgie

Wasn't Anzhi Makhachkala from Russia expressing interest in Rooney not too long ago?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  18. monthehoops1888

Would he go to Man City?

19. Paul55

I don't think Rooney has lost form, he is just being over-shadowed by RVP. Last season Rooney was the focal point in the Man U team, now they have Van Persie banging the goals in which takes some of the notice away from Rooney's game.

I think he'll still be about next season.

20. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Because he plays in the EPL and a top 3 EPL club they'll be expecting £25million+ for him but we'll be expected to part with Hooper for around 10 or less.

The book I've just read (Soccernomics) reckon you should never pay ridiculous transfer fees for anyone over 26. Rooney will be 28 this year so I'm going to be really interested in what he goes for, especially in relation to what we get or are offered for Gary (who's just turned 25). I heard that RVP is their top earner now, are they just wanting Rooney off the wage bill now?