1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tories fighting to protect bankers bonuses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Markybhoy, Mar 4, 2013.

Discuss Tories fighting to protect bankers bonuses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/04/george-osborne-takes-on-eu-over-bonuses

The country's falling to bits, the poor are getting squeezed until their pips squeak and what are the Tories doing? Fighting for bankers bonuses!

Typical Tories. Shower of horrible, elitist *.

Thank goodness for the EU. If it was up to me, bankers would be getting no bonuses at all until this country is straightened out again. They get paid enough as it is.

2. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Bankers are entitled to bonuses under the economic system practiced in Britain.

I don't think they should stop bonuses.

3. Markybhoy

I know they are technically entitled to their bonuses but I would have no qualms about putting a stop to them until the country is back on an even keel. It was them * that were at the heart of creating the mess we're in now.

Not only did they help create the mess but they are now impeding the recovery by withdrawing money for lending then refusing to lend it.

4. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Personally I regard economic crime as being the most unpatriotic and disgusting of crimes.

Bankers will more than likely to continue to get bonuses and regardless of what they have done under this economic system it is hard to argue against them getting. It's a dog eat dog world and the sooner people get their heads around that the better.

5. Markybhoy

It's certainly that. That's why we need a government who will stand up for the dogs that are getting eaten alive.

6. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Why? It's a capitalist society that is more or less running as a plutocratic world.
    People will always be poor under it. A revolution would have to take place.

7. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    * bankers. While we own the banks and they're turning massive losses, they should get * all bonuses. We've bailed these greedy * out, and they still leech the economy dry. I fucki hate them with a passion and the Tories too.

8. Markybhoy

A revolution would be fine by me. Not the kind of revolution where people take to the streets and start killing each other, but a revolution of ideas.

The distribution of wealth in this country is so out of kilter it is actually a disgrace. It is a massive issue and it needs to be tackled aggressively.

9. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    What would be fairer though? Would you be for capping salaries and limiting how much money/property someone has? What's too much?

I agree with all of what you are saying in theory. I too would like to see a fairer economy but I can't see it happening myself.

Hence the need to subscribe to the dog eat dog notion.

10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Isnt the argument along the lines of...if they ban the bonuses, the banks will move their business elsewhere,or the "top" men wont be attracted to British bank jobs,and will go elsewhere....and that London as the financial capital of Europe, may lose out to Frankfurt......and subsequently a lot of jobs and money?
    .....or something like that!!!:31:

11. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Yes that line has been used.

If I were a banker I'd be * off if my bonus was being taken away by anyone other than the bank.

12. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Basically this.

A lot of things in life aren't fair but I can't be against them any more tbh. Bankers shouldn't get as much as they get. Footballers shouldn't be worth as much as they are.
    Nurses and paramedics should probably be amongst the most highly paid members of society. But things will never change so I don't concern myself with these harsh realities and inequalities.

The only thing that surprises, frustrates and amuses me about modern life is that people still vote the way they do. You know exactly what you're getting when you vote Tory, yet act exasperated when in 2 years they do exactly whats was expected of them?

This constant switching between Tory and Labour is incessantly boring, especially as both parties have converged to such an extent that they may as well merge and form the one "centre-right UK alliance party".

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Exactly better keeping it as and getting money through taxes than business all going elsewhere,I know it's hard but this is 1 where you have to look at the less of 2 evils,this is basically Brussels trying to strangle the life out of London for its own benifet

14. Markybhoy

Trouble is, hardly anybody in Scotland does vote Tory. That's a whole other thread though.

15. Markybhoy

I don't know man, I don't have all the answers. There has to be things the government can do to help redistribute the country's wealth if it really wanted to though. eg. A more progressive tax system.

(The changes would have to be a lot more wide ranging than just using the tax system obviously)

If we all just concede that the way things are is the way things will always be then nothing will ever change. I hope there will always be people willing to fight for change as I don't the think the way this country is just now is particularly appealing or acceptable. The rich are getting richer and the people at the bottom have nothing. Nobody seems to care about them or represent them anymore.

I actually think it's an obscenity for any banker to be paid £2million as a bonus. There isn't a banker alive who deserves that.

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Not morally speaking, no.

17. UncleHo

I love how people do not see much of a problem with footballers making millions per year, but have a problem with Bankers getting their bonuses.

Some of these lads burn themselves out before their 30's, especially the ones at the trading desks. Some of them work in such stressful environments trying their best to keep your investment and high street banks afloat in these horrible economic times.

Yet, because their performances seem them rewarded with large cash sums, people automatically want them to be culled.

Some of these jobs are the most high pressured mentally demanding roles on the planet. I think there is far more places we should be looking to cut back payments before the banks.

Media and sports for one.

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

But when has a football player spunked a whole countries economy down the drain with 1 click of a keyboard,though I do get where your coming from

19. UncleHo

Clearly you don't get where I am coming from with that type of comment.

You really think, that is how it works?

You need bankers to fix the economy. Good bankers... They cost a lot of money.

Which banker spunked the whole economy with the click of a keyboard.

20. cozybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik, Mcstay
    I agree 100% with UncleHo.

I work on a trading desk (don't make 2 million bonuses unfortunately) and the top people cost a lot of cash, if they don't get it they'll simply go elsewhere.