1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Look, mate, I do know what you are saying; but I think you are asking too much of people. To not be a hypocrite in that sense, you either have to have no social conscience or dedicate your entire life to these causes.

Like I will sit here and criticise the UK government for its imperial history, for having nuclear weapons, for still today taking part in foreign wars, for the surveillance, etc, etc; but I still want to use all the legitimate services it provides with our taxes and NI. In my opinion, this kind of difficult-to-avoid hypocrisy is far less important to highlight than the hypocrisy of a corrupt organisation that levies fines for displays of solidarity with the victims of one apartheid state and yet actually imposed displays for a leader (once branded a terrorist by our PM) who fought a different apartheid state.

The way I see it, government is supposed to serve the people, not vice versa and in exactly the same way, UEFA should serve member institutions which in turn should serve the clubs, not impose inconsistent rules that consolidate its own power and influence.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I can't get my head round it.

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

as I said mental isn't it.

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * the Sun. Rag * paper. Go talk to the people of Liverpool.

5. Maestro 08

I think everyone empathises with them but showing solidarity through the raising of flags achieves sweet fa other than fines & punishments for our club. The exposure this brought will fade as quickly as it arrived. The world moves from one atrocity/cause/plight to another in the blink of an eye. Do you personally or others have a long lasting plan of campaigns & political pressure that you are going or have undertaken? That will achieve far more for the Palestinians than this flag waving will & saves the possible splits that could arise within our support.

P.S. Why do you keep bolding random words?

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Good statement that.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

aye spot on from them.

8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I didn't bold random words. Usually it's easier to empathise with what people actually are suffering rather than what they might suffer or would suffer in a completely hypothetical situation. The words in bold are emphasising that for some bizarre reason, that seems to be reversed in this case with some people.

As for the main thrust of your post, your own personal cynicism should not stop others from trying to help. I don't think anyone was under any illusions that the display would have a massive effect, but it is our small contribution to what will hopefully in the long term be a successful campaign to raise public awareness and through that change public opinion. The GB at least are involved in other projects in solidarity with the Palestinians. This wasn't just a one-evening thing for them.

Our cynicism is just as important a weapon the powerful use to maintain their position as our naivety.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This.

11. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The sun is the type of paper you would see at your local Chinky takeaway....a * rag pure * stained

12. Maestro 08

You say cynicism I say reality. This will fade before the week is out & another such display will not be seen for a long long time to come. Very few if any positives come out of this for me. The GB have stated they are undertaking work with Palestinian groups. That may be a positive thing but I would be very interested to hear of this work & with what groups the Celtic name is being attached to. All in all, as the saying goes let's just agree to disagree.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You are wrong about the bit in bold. There have been plenty of displays by other clubs, most recently Olympiacos and as you admit, the GB has been involved in other things in support of the Palestinians and no doubt will continue to do so. That display was another link in the chain. Maybe it will come to nothing, often these things do; but not to try is cynical and defeatist.

You have to keep trying because eventually something will work. That's how change always happens.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. Maestro 08

We will not witness a display of Palestinian flags of that size in OUR stadium for a long long time to come, I'm sure of that, namely when we play another Israeli side. Let's hope this one doesn't amount to any heavy punishments as the split in the support for said game would consequently be huge I fear.

16. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The half or dozen or so Hapoel fans who walked brazenly and provocatively up the Celtic Way past the main entrance with the big Star of David that was in the away end didn't get much abuse apart from those Palestinian burds that were there singing songs, a few chants of free free Palestine when they reached the away entrance was the sum of it, judging by that I really don't think the majority of our fans care or are that bothered let alone want to see their club get fines or sanctions, seems like many of these things just a vocal minority that in addition have a massive internet presence.

Hanging around the stadium last night I heard several conversations with folk having to be explained what the conflict is about.

On a personal level I feel solidarity and have loyalties to Palestine and its cause but I'm not going to kid myself everyone cares or gives a *, they clearly don't and who am I to tell them they should

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Who cares? This is not about us.

18. Maestro 08

I'm a bit confused as to what tangent your going off on. A couple of posts back I said we wouldn't see a display like that again for a long time to which you said olympiakos had one. I was clarifying I meant at our stadium & not Olympiakos' or whoever.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Depends what happens, there was one 2 years ago at Murrayfield which was the same. For all we know they could start bombing them again soon and you will see it again.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But that's my point: it's not about us. It's about doing our bit to help when the opportunity presents. You are arguing that it will achieve nothing and in isolation you're probably right (it's what I thought before the evening itself); but it didn't happen in isolation. It was just one in many actions to show solidarity and raise awareness all over Europe.

Don't be so defeatist. Besides, it's impossible to know in advance which actions will have an effect and which won't. All you can do is keep doing your bit.