1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jordan_

No it's utter bullshit as you'll see from my previous posts.

I was just taking the bit from what you were saying in regards to why football fans. Nothing to do with the bill..

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What I mean is, there isn't a huge problem with football fans in this country, nothing that requires a special law designed just for them.

There was laws in place to deal with racist twats, bigoted fools and plastic hardmen who want to slap each other about.

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why do you think the SNP are 'targeting' football fans then? It makes little sense what your proposing imo. The stereotypical football fan particularly from Glasgow is exactly the sort of voter the SNP want to attract... working-class, urban, from more deprived areas, more likely to support indy than the silver spoon Bishopbriggs types and the faux English in our capital. They've been very successful in attracting this demographic too seen as all MP's for Glasgow are now SNP...

Other sports are important in this country but none compare to football.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I've not got a * scooby. You seem to support the bill so why do you support it?

Why did you put 'targeting' in quotes? Is the Offensive Behaviour at the FOOTBALL Bill not just targeting football fans?

5. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There were a number of polls done at the time of the referendum and for the General Election showing the support for each political party amongst football fans. I won't post the link because I already know you don't like the source :icon_mrgreen:

2/3 of Celtic fans support the SNP, almost half of huns do to. That surprised me tbf.

6. Swervedancer Guest

Thanks McGuire, Jozo and Crow :50:

It's a great banner.

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    So like the traditional Celtic supporter or the sort of people in the Green Brigade or like the majority on here? How's that going then ?

The SNP do not give a * about these people and never will.

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I would imagine for a lot of them the SNP are the means to an end.

Indepndence might be our only chance to finally get rid of the tories once and for all.

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Do they ? Nobody has ever asked me if I do ?

10. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I support the premise of the bill. There is a problem in Scotland with eh... Offensive behaviour at football and it should be addressed. The same problems can't be found at other sporting events.

The problem with it imo is how it's implemented by the police. The Hamilton incident for example is just them using bully boy tactics and I hope the officers were reported.

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    2/3 of fans polled then :87: :smiley-laughing002:

I'm assuming you live in England so it doesn't affect you anyway.

12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Does when I go to Celtic games. :smiley-laughing002:

13. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really well actually. I live in what's described as the most deprived area in Scotland, 2 miles away from Celtic Park and my area voted 58% for the SNP and had the biggest vote swing in British history...

So aye quite well.

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    OK so in your world it is going well but why is this not replicated on here ( you are a lone dissenting voice in here) amongst the people I meet at the games or amongst people like the Green Brigade ?

15. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't know haha. I do know on other Celtic forums, one in particular, my point of view is shared by the majority.

I'm just assuming here, might be wrong but I'd guess the people you go to games with are the Irish community in England and are much less likely to sympathise with anything to do with the SNP. Their politics are driven by Irish republicanism, nothing wrong with that of course, and their still suspicious of Scottishness because of how the community were treated here in decades gone by...

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What one would that be then?

Even KDS are against the bill.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't agree with the this. There are lots of problems at football in Scotland but offensive behaviour is a stupid category to use for a law. Firstly it is so subjective that it opens the door to repressing legitimate political expression (as we have seen!) and secondly offending someone per se should never be a crime. It is true that many things which should be crimes (such as bigotry, racism, etc) are also offensive, but pretty much anything is offensive to someone, including democracy, homosexuality and women in the workplace.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  18. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Great banner as usual, spot on too. :50:

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :50:Credit where credit is due. I know this is going to sound condescending but if all your posts acknowledged the diversity of Celtic supporters we wouldn't disagree so much.

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Going by your posts in support of the bill and the SNP's stance on this issue, I find it quite naive that you believe it is warranted in Scotland. Yes the Rangers fans have been guilty for years of discrimatory chanting. Especially against Catholisim. The Celtic support have been hugely guilty of singing songs in support of the Irish struggle with a few add ons here and there. Overall fans of other teams have came up with impromptu ditties that could be seen to cause offence to either side of Celtic or the Huns. But let's point out that these songs or chAnts do not rile people up to commit violence, not on the scale currently being dealt with in England. Italy. Russia. Turkey. Slovenia etc.etc. sure there is a few slaps in city centres away from the match. But that will continue forever.
    In 1995 young Mark Scott was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And simply for being a Celtic fan he was stabbed to death by an evil monster. This was an isolated incident and his killer had many a previous conviction for violence. But the SNP have latched on to this story to benefit the use of this ludicrous act. Anyway to keep it short. The Scottish Parliament should focus more on drunkeness and violence and drug intake on the street level. Where a good proportion of crime would drop in Schemes and Cities up and down the country. Instead they target football fans, the majority of whom just want to take the match day experience back to basics and create a great atmosphere. For kids going to matches to encourage them to attend and keep them interested. Even if what's on the pitch at the moment is no great shake. These people are harassed in their places of work, their homes and filmed going to football. Making it a crime to fully support their team. This has given police nobodies the big chance to look important and create their own little piece of excitement. Making them no better than football hooligans!:38: