1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Wouldn't a banner motivating the team be better, they know they've deeply disappointed every Celtic fan after Malmo, could backfire easily and cause the players to lose even more confidence in themselves.
    Yes they have had criticism all week no doubt from Ronny and within the team itself, which will be constructive and not just slating them for the sake of it.

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

If the green Brigade feel the need to show the players how they feel it's up to them.

People should get over it.

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    How do you know it didn't motivate the players ?

4. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Exactly. This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. The banner just said what most of us, including Ronny and some of the players, have been saying since the shambles the other night. The board are clueless when it comes to keeping the fans happy.
    Banner was no big deal at all. Everyone has a right to express their opinion.

5. Millerntor

The team got the usual backing from the GB/111 during the game. However, the players are not above criticism from the supporters, the ones who help pay their wages they take home every week. The performance in Malmo was abject, pitiful and sometimes harsh words are needed. I wouldn't exactly worry too much about the pampered wee souls feelings being hurt for the minute or two the banners were up.

It's actually quite something the attention the banners have had and all this 'support the team, support the team' mantra. This from a home support who booed the players going off at half-time at home to Maribor last season when we were sitting in a qualified position, who stream out of the stadium in their thousands with 5/10/15 minutes to go, who have had scapegoats aplenty over the years, and who largely sit in deathly silence at every domestic home game!

Absolute mountain out a molehill stuff.

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

If this wasn't a green brigade banner we wouldn't see the same reaction from people.

For me as I've said already nothing wrong with the banner it was spot on.

if people can't see that then fair enough.

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That's what I meant, you don't know what reaction you would get from the players.

It's done now I'm not going to go on about it, always supported the GB and what they add to the atmosphere. I'm not making a mountain out a mole hill nor are others, just disagree with the logic behind it.

Anyway onwards and upwards :celt_2:

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Haha it's okay TimTime :50::86::54::87::bbpd:

Seriously though, what's so difficult to understand about share issue? It's not really an emergency fund pot but actually a reliable source of income. As I was saying, we all have an emotional connection with Celtic and therefore continue to invest. This is very much different to any othe PLC.

Investment in our playing squad will only lead to more success and then in turn enhance our revenue incomes:50: Conversely, buying the Dundee Utd front three, Scott Allan and a lad who hasn't kicked a ball in three years is not investment in the team AND, as demonstrated, has resulted in a large financial loss.

I guess what I am saying is you need to speculate to accumulate. Meanwhile, you think we can formulate a full team for £2 million like Malmo and be successful. IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT. They will not be a consistent team. In fact I bet you they won't win the Swedish league this year!

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That's what we do now though, take a small risk on players in the hope we can profit from their sale a few years down the line. The one thing that has changed is that Ronny wants young Scottish players, we have missed out on so many over the years it's probably too late now.

10. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Thought the banner was in poor taste and was back to the reasons the group were disbanded originally.

GB are the first to get on other fans backs for not getting up and supporting the team and as rotten as we were in Malmo, I don't think we were 'gutless', key players just played * (stand up Virgil, Brown, Johnasen, Griffiths).

Not gonna get in a debate on this one, no bigger supporter of the GB than me, but calling the players 'gutless' is out of order.

As for 'clueless in the boardroom', people need to remeber the situation we are in.

Sorry bhoys .. out of order for me .. and didn't help an already depressing atmosphere.

11. odonno

In what way?

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's quite well documented how much I respect and admire the lads in 111 on here, and even though I agreed with the sentiment behind the banner it all seemed a bit pointless.

The players will know fine well how much they let the supporters down and the people in charge of the club don't give a * what's written about them on some bedsheet.

I wouldn't have booed them but it was all just a bit... pointless.

I was also a bit shocked because I'm sure that is the first time I've ever seen the GB (as a collective) have a go at the team.

13. Millerntor

You must forget post-Ross County cup semi defeat when there was a GB banner clearly aimed critically at the players.....

"The badge on the front is bigger than the name on the back"

.....and then sang Willie Maley for the full first half.

But apart from that, I think you are right and so it shows you just how much the performance on Tuesday was simply not acceptable to anyone. As I said though, it's hardly a big deal and is being made more of than necessary when you consider other attitudes of our home support.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    i don't always see eye to eye with the GB ane some of the things they have done in the past, but they are 100% spot on with the banner.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That was about 5 years ago, I don't remember 5 days ago. :smiley-laughing002:

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Most of the people booing probably spend the whole 90 minutes berating and abusing the players anyway. Glass houses and that...

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    "Supporting your team, is not a crime"..

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This is a pretty poor post by your standards, mate. To take your points one by one:

Your portrayal of the GB in the first line is simply not true, as others have pointed out.

Like it or not, a team can be more (or indeed less) than the sum of its parts. It wasn't a couple of players that bottled it, bit 9 of our starting 11, suggesting this wasn't am individual matter.

They are, as you say a similar standard to us; but given how much our team cost to assemble and our wages compared to them, they really shouldn't be and that money comes from the fans.

This whole thing is really quite simple, mate: the GB have every right to display such a banner, other fans who disagree have every right to boo the banner. End of story. What isn't healthy is when either side stays getting up on its high horse about the opinions of the others.

FWIW I don't agree with the banner.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    You don't half talk a lot of *. 'Qualification' must have been awarded for bullshit.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A share issue wouldn't be attractive to private investors and Celtic fans don't have that much money that we can expect them to keep bailing us out by buying shares.

Speculate to accumulate is a very vague term. I Lawwell's way of putting it: invest when good opportunities present themselves. This is what we are already doing AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015